Dissecting the incoming Freshmen

OklahomaIrish

The class of 2009 has 18 members and was ranked 14th in the country. The

class took 3 specialty players that brought down the average star ratings.

We took a deep snapper, a punter and a place kicker. The class does not

have a quarterback and has only one defensive lineman. My contention is,

however, that this class absolutely continues the overall rise of our depth of

quality athletes. The good news is that these guys won't be thrown to the

wolves like the class with Jimmy Clausen, Armando Allen, Huuuughes and

Kamara. This class will mostly be redshirted and will butt up underneath

the top ranked class in the country.

Last year's class played a bunch of freshmen because of the lack of depth.

If Rudolph were to come in this year do you think he would be the starter

from day one? Considerring another year in the weight room and the lower

rating given to kickers, I can see the class of 2009 being a legitimate top

10 class. I would like to show how this class greatly improves our overall

depth by breaking the class down to the different components and showing

how it fits in with the current roster. I will do this in separate posts and

begin with the tight ends. Anyone else may jump in and help with this analysis. Next post: tight Ends.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tight Ends: Remember last year we had no depth? Look how drastically things can

cahnge in one year. We have a budding superstar in Kyle Rudolph, big play potential

in Mike Ragone, and an improving Joseph Fauria. We have great size and athletic

ability and much more experience then we had last year.

Now we get to add Tyler Eifert at 6' 6" and 220 pounds. Eifert was ranked the #13

tight end in the country. He has excellent hands and good speed for a tight end. His

upside is very very high. He has the luxury of a red shirt year and should gain about 25

pounds by next year. The situation only gets better with time.

We also added Jake Golic. Jake is a good receiving tight end. He is a bit undersized at

around 205 pounds but will benefit greatly from the extra year in the weight room. He

was only ranked the #53 tight end in the country but can become serviceable in 2-3

years. The point is, this position is now VERY strong and getting stronger. We already

have a committment for the 2010 class in Welch and he is now ranked #3 in the country.

The rich keep getting richer.....and WE BE RICH!!!!

Running Backs: Wow. Just look how deep this group is with the addition of Theo Riddick

and Cierre Wood. We are all aware of how good Armando Allen, Robert Hughes and

Jonas Gray are, but now we are starting to have USC type depth. Theo Riddick is a

big time athlete that has been clocked at just over 4.4. He is very versatile and could

possibly move to corner back to even out the depth. Cierre Wood is a good sized back

at 6' and 192 pounds. He is listed at 4.5 but could be a bit faster. He was rated 5*

at one point and is a serious bet to play as a freshman, return kicks and give us great

depth at running back. Again, the class of 2009 makes us much stronger and deeper.

Quarterback: OK, it is obvious the class of 2009 does not help us here, but it wasn't

necessary. We are actually deeper this year, in my humble opinion, then we were last

year at quarter back. Last year Crist and Montana did not know the system and would

have been disasters had they had to play. I am higher on Montana then most of you

guys and he is 6' 4", over 200 and has some pretty good blood lines. He also looked

good in the Blue and Gold Game. Even though the class of 2009 did not help us at

quarterback, I don't think it hurt not to land a qb. Going to take a break from this, but

will continue with the offensive line.

Running Backs: Wow. Just look how deep this group is with the addition of Theo Riddick

and Cierre Wood. We are all aware of how good Armando Allen, Robert Hughes and

Jonas Gray are, but now we are starting to have USC type depth. Theo Riddick is a

big time athlete that has been clocked at just over 4.4. He is very versatile and could

possibly move to corner back to even out the depth. Cierre Wood is a good sized back

at 6' and 192 pounds. He is listed at 4.5 but could be a bit faster. He was rated 5*

at one point and is a serious bet to play as a freshman, return kicks and give us great

depth at running back. Again, the class of 2009 makes us much stronger and deeper.

Aww, poor James Aldridge...

regarding the TE situation. maybe this is because of the lack of depth, but Jimmy still seemed scared of throwing over the middle of the field.

to my eyes, there has been an absence of slants posts and TE routes.

regarding the TE situation. maybe this is because of the lack of depth, but Jimmy still seemed scared of throwing over the middle of the field.

really? I think it's the exact opposite...There have been plenty of throws over the middle.

Some examples..

Rudolph:

play action post for TDvs. Purdue

Flag route for a TD vs. Stanford

and tons of short to deep slants to Tate

Guest irishrick

JA, he did OK , he will be special this year at fullback , count on cw and some sort of run game to open up jc , i think that we fans sometime over look the needs of the team or the fact that some of thees HS players just aren't cut out to be that good at the div 1 level, i still look for JA to be force to reckoned with this year.;) go Irish

let me defend james aldridge here if i may--- first we all know the reasons for his difficulty ever reaching the potential his HS career pointed too!-- knees knees knees---- damn-- we even have a coach under presuure from knees---

Nonetheless-- i will predict this is going to be a great year for JAMES--Its coming late but i think this will be his best year by far---- rotating 3 backs behind a struggling OLINE really hasnt done any of the backs much good IMO-

one of the biggest flaws of charlies offense for the last 3 years has been POOR PERFORMANCE from the fullback-- i dont mean to be cruel but when shwapp went in the game usually it was either a loss a fumble a missed block-- or at best we were like playing with ten men--- and yet charlie still STUBBORNLY held to his fullbacks plays as if one day they would work--- SHWAPP IS GONE AND HIS PLAYS NEVER WORKED!!!!

Stepping up is JAMES ALDRIDGE-- although james has been less the terrific at tailback--- at FULLBACK this is going to be one of charlies best off-season moves--- James still has that very quick first step-- he is big- he doesnt fumble every three touches--- he can do everything POWERS_ NEAL did-- and he was a dynamic force on the 05 team-- when we lost him to the DUI it hurt big time-- we underestimated how much it hurt---James will open up another big time offensive punch on an offense with one hell of a punch already---

we can all remember on the few-( BUT VERY EFFECTIVE CARRIES FROM POWERS NEAL)__ he ran through holes that were HUGE--- charlies scheme can give some BIG OPPORTUNITIES to a FULLBACK THAT CAN PLAY--- and IMO that will be JAMES--- on short yardage i guarantee he will be better then shwapp-- i can see a fullback counter or late toss to the fullback break wide open on many occassions-- and now a double threat in the flat out of the backfield-- either the tailback or james can slide out there and grab a very easy 15 yards!!

look for some very timely big plays and 5 or 6 toucdowns from a happy fullback thats running hard in 09!! aloha

In the Wr position we have Shaquille Evans and Robby Toma coming in. Shaquille Evans is a big-time wide receiver who will get even better over the years. With Charlie and his staff, he will become a great wide receiver and corner backs will ave their work cut out to stop him.

Toma is like Wes Welker, a sleeper. That means he will get short passes, but they gain yards, yards that turn into first downs, then touchdowns. It will have a high completion percentage. The next few years in the WR positions could be the best in Notre Dame's history.8-)

Offensive Line: Again the 2009 class makes us better and deeper. We only lose one

player off last years O-line and that was Turkovich......whom I believe did a solid job

at left tackle. We had some really sorry years of recruiting under Unwillingham and

Offensive line was the most critical area. Again, we have the luxury of redshirting

all of the incoming recruits. Chris Watt was rated the #4 Offensive Guard in the country

and Zach Martin was the #10 Tackle in the country. A real sleeper is Alex Bullard.

He looks extremely quick as a pulling guard, he can flat out run. So again, the class of

2009 increases our depth and talent.

NDJohn mentioned the WIDE RECEIVERS: I agree we have good talent incoming and we

only lose one man......that being Mr. Grimes. Grimes will always be remembered for the

great catch that was stolen from him against Stanford, but be would have trouble

cracking our future lineups. We continue to get better athletes.

Fullback: You guys have already had this discussion and the class of 2009 did not add

a player at this position. It doesn't matter as we moved James Aldridge here and we

also have Steve Paskorz at 6-2 and 230 pounds. Hawaii pretty well assessed the

abilities of Aldridge at this position.

If Rashon Powers Neal had not been suspended for the USC game in 05, I believe we

would have won the game. Remember the pass to Schwapp late in the game and he

stopped in his tracks as the ball sailed over his head. We settled for a field goal

and MISSED.

Under Holtz we would throw to the fullback on occassion and it was ALWAYS open.

Aldridge will add another dimension to this team and Paskorz is a very good athlete

with a lot of pop. The 2009 class did not help us here and yet the position is improving.

OK, I love Irish football but you guys are homers if I have ever seen them. I completely agree with every position except for the RBs situation. Not one single RB showed any kind of glimmers of greatness. They were all average at best. I do agree that the depth has gotten better for ND this year at this position, but to compare it to USC's RB crew is just a joke. Every single one of those USC RBs were five stars (I think) and it looked like they were rated accurately. I hope every single RB on the team can make me eat my words but I just hope the OL can help bring a balanced attack. IMO, the only way ND has an explosive run game is if Wood's year is similar to Floyd's (Basically by week 3, the coaching staff finds a way to get him on the field at all times). I think that is a bit more realistic view on ND's RB squad.

One more thing, 4.4 speed doesn't mean anything when you can't out run anyone in an actual game.

In the Wr position we have Shaquille Evans and Robby Toma coming in. Shaquille Evans is a big-time wide receiver who will get even better over the years. With Charlie and his staff, he will become a great wide receiver and corner backs will ave their work cut out to stop him.

Toma is like Wes Welker, a sleeper. That means he will get short passes, but they gain yards, yards that turn into first downs, then touchdowns. It will have a high completion percentage. The next few years in the WR positions could be the best in Notre Dame's history.8-)

we already have a toma. his name is barry gallup..............

I'm actuallly afraid when he throws over the middle too. He throws darts, so if he misses on the TE seam even slightly high it's an easy pick for a Safety (think BC game last year). I don't think he'll ever be as good as BQ in that regard. It's hard with his throwing motion to throw the ball over an LB and before a safety. He gets no arch on his throws.

It's amazing that I have way more faith in his bombs being completed than his 15 yard posts or seams.

sorry about the tangent, sooo...to get things back on the subject.

Obviously the strength of this class is LB's. I think both Teo and Motta are can't miss and the other two have great potential. 2nd is OL if we are able to land a true LT prospect this class comign up than I will be very please with the OL haul in 2009.

Sleepers in thsi class are Eifert (who should stay at TE and slowly gain the weight and strength, not too quickly so he can adapt to it well) and Banks who I think is an amazing athlete that has been marginalized because of the injury. Not sure where he ends up but he'll be a gamer.

Wildcards are probably the RB's. I think they are both great athletes but I'm not sure either of them will definately remain at RB (though I think Wood probably will). Wood could be a good safety or WR. Also, remember i said that Riddick looked quick as hell on the bball court but more than one person thought he looked "light in the ass" so he might eventually be a DB. Who knows but they are certainly athletic enough to play all over.

Both DL and WR are disapointments in #'s but not in quality. Which is why so many offers are out this year.