Laetare medal is turned down

Guest irishrick

Guest irishrick

Glendon declines Laetare Medal

Mary Ann Glendon, who was scheduled to receive the Laetare Medal at the University of Notre Dame commencement ceremony May 17, won't be attending and will turn down the honor because the university invited President Barack Obama to speak to the graduates, i think that this is the first time that the medal has ever been turned down in the history of the medal ? WHAT SAY YOU ? :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest irishrick

The Laetare Medal is presented annually to an American Catholic layperson in recognition of outstanding service to the church and society. It is considered the oldest and most prestigious award for American Catholics. i have to give the lady a attaboy , for her standing up for her beliefs, yes the president is speaking , got no problem with that , the big thing is his beliefs which go aganist the catholic beliefs. of course thats just my opinion . what say you ??

This is a big deal and I congratulate Glendon for turning it down. I am still shocked that this is happening. Thanks a lot Fr. Jenkins for making Notre Dame look like a bunch of hypocrites. I think you are going to lose your job because of this.

The lady is truly a class act. I read the letter she sent Jenkins and she was upset with the fact that ND was trying to justify its position on Obama to the alumni by saying she was going to be the counter-point to his speech...kinda lame ND to attempt to use her to justify your position. Now ND is scrambling to give the award to someone else - think Jenkins nominated himself....

Some years back maybe 25 or so, the Catholic church championed the ecumenical council as a reachout to hear divergent views of matters of faith and some shared beliefs. Though dogma triumphed in the end, there was relatively little to show for the effort of the council except to show a spirit of respect for those seeking another path for the sincere religious seeker. Obama's stand on the issue of abortion and his contention that it is the women's choice of her conscience and that the state has no right to intervene in mandating what is essentially a private matter of the utmost sensitivity. Personally I believe Obama has struggled with this contentious issue. Let's hope his visit goes as smoothly and with as little rancor as possible.

Guest SirJohn

IMHO....I think it's stupid, this medal is supposed to be the most prestegious offered by Catholic Church here. Funny... I never heard of it before after 8 grade school years, 4 High school years and 24 in Bellermine University (PM CLASSES) All catholic. If she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it and it's her problem. I see a public turn down as a publicity grab for her position (Whatever it is cause I never heard of her.)

Fact remains Obama was elected by a majority of Americans, and among them were thousands of (so called) Catholics. I can't chose a President, by what my church thinks is important. It's enough he keeps terrorists away, get's the economy rolling again and jobs, jobs, jobs. I wonder if this lady can do .000024 percent of that?:)

Guest irishrick

SJ , i think this lady was going to be used by someone to oppose the president, she is no dummy and i respect her for doing this, as for you not hearing about the medal , well thats possible , i heard of it years ago while working for the president LBJ, and a few famous people have recieved it , here is the link just so you can get a idea of this lady and a few of the positions she has held , she has my vote, go irish :p;):)http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090428/News01/904280315/1052/News01

IMHO....I think it's stupid, this medal is supposed to be the most prestegious offered by Catholic Church here. Funny... I never heard of it before after 8 grade school years, 4 High school years and 24 in Bellermine University (PM CLASSES) All catholic.

You went to college for 24 years? So you were a 20 year senior when you graduated. Congrats! LOL. :D

Guest SirJohn

Yep new every brick in the building. Just when I started something I finished it. Sad to say any skill more than 13 years old is considered zilch by SS. So you might say many a year, study and tuition was totaly wasted.

She's a dumb B*tch, in my opinion. I wonder if she uses birth control. I wonder if she tithes 10%. I wonder if she honors her father and mother. I'll just keep listing until I find one she doesn't do. Catholics can't hold democracy hostage. And, trust me, I hate Obama.

She's a dumb B*tch, in my opinion. I wonder if she uses birth control. I wonder if she tithes 10%. I wonder if she honors her father and mother. I'll just keep listing until I find one she doesn't do. Catholics can't hold democracy hostage. And, trust me, I hate Obama.

How is she holding democracy hostage? Doesn't she have a right to refuse anything? she doesn't want to be viewed as a token for political purposes.

but for refusing she is a token mac.

No. I'm referring to her letter if you click on the link. The University tried to pacify the pro-lifers by saying that she would speak for them.

Read her letter; she did not want to be used as a political pawn and that's fine.