07 prediction

Weis says he wants a full class in 07, which means more than likely 25, he could go to 26 but i get the feeling he is going to reward that schollie to a sophmore or below walk on which means it would count against 06 leaving us with 25

1 QB- Jim Clausen

2 RB-Marc Tyler, Darren Evans

1 FB- Robert Hughes

3 WR- Benn, TerranceTolliver, Wayne Bonner

1 TE- Mike Ragone

4 OL-Miles Stroter, Ben Oglesby, Sam DeMartinis, SioneTau

2 DE- Ben Martin, Justin Trattou, (Sidell Corley would be 26)

4 DT- Myles Wade, Joseph Barksdale, Marvin Austin, Andre Jones

3 LB-Steve Paskorz, Andrew Dailey, Marshall Williams

2 CB- Gary Gray, Dionte Allen

2 S- Mark Barnes, Lorenzo Edwards

this would be the perfect class in my opinon, tons of talent and impact players all over the field, and after this class no one will ever call our D slow and untalented again!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest irishrick

hey man lets get this year over with, i think you will see a BUILD IT THEY WILL COME, attitude in o7, THIS IS THE YEAR, I FORCAST A 1O-2 OR 11-1 YEAR AND WE WILL PLAY FOR THE N.C. go irish :D :D

Guest gallup21

there are about 4 teams id consider preseason hard and maybe a couple of sleepers, i can see us going 12-0, never said it was likely, but theres always a possibiilty

Guest bluester2000

I haven't taken a look quite yet at next year's prospects, however I did do a position break down.

QB: 1

RB: 2

FB: 1

WR: 4

TE: 1

T: 1

G: 2

C: 1

DE: 2

DT: 2

OLB: 2

MLB: 2

ALB: 1

CB: 1

FS: 1

SS: 1

P: 1

That's a total of 23 commits and it addresses all of our possible needs. I think at DT and WR we don't need numbers, we need talent. Big time talent. No need to take more than 2 at either positon, provided the 2 we get are elite prospects. The success rate with true blue chip players should be about 50%, so we should be able to get away with signing 2. We'll still have 8 wideouts and 5 DTs under scholarship for '07. We don't need to be going much over 10 and 6 at those positions respectively.

I think we desperately need to get much younger and much more talented at linebacker. Six linebackers are juniors or seniors. Other than Richardson and T. Smith, the young guys aren't super talented, so we need to focus there next cycle.

At RB/FB/TE we should start using our scholarships to be creative. Find a big mean 250lbs RB like Bettis or a strong, tall TE that can stretch the middle of the field. Hybrid players will make this offense unstoppable, and since we took care of so many needs this off season, I'd expect Charlie to gamble on a few more players this year.

Make offers to the best of the best, and bank on getting a massive haul. Instead of offering to players you're confident will say yes (good, but not great players), hold out for the truly elite players.

Guest SirJohn

Sounds good. :) We just might already have your 'Bus' bluester. A recent Chan 5 article lists him at 220 pounds. ND Nat. has him 230. Let's split the difference and say 225 pounds. and he is a High Schooler.

If Coach Reuban Mendoza can't sweat some fat off and replace it with muscle something is wrong. Figure 5 pounds a year he is senior and 245 pounds. :D

Coach Weis Presser signing day.

Just the opposite of that, we got the big bruiser in Luke Schmidt, Gatorade Player of the Year in Indiana. One thing in common as you hear. Either I'm in cahoots with Gatorade or we got a lot of good football players. 6'3", probably bigger than that. He's a powerful and fast back, can play fullback and halfback. He's had back to back 2,000 yard seasons, rushed for 2,239 rushing yards, 32 touchdowns as a senior. Scored 41 touchdowns as a junior. I mean, this kid, he's a dynamic football player.

Between James and Munir and Luke, we have quite a lot of versatility coming out of our backfield to add to the returning stable of backs we have now.

Guest bluester2000

Broker,

I wouldn't disagree that there is significant need along the D-line. Wade may be a player, but time will tell. Ryan is a nice player, but I don't expect him to become the next J. Tuck or V.A. If Mullen does work out at DT, we'll still need a NT. But Charlie had a HUGE haul on the O-line this year by all accounts and he only got 6 players for 5 potential positions. Now you're saying we're going after 6 or 7 players for 4 positions? If that's what we do I heartily disagree. Next year and beyond we're going to be at a point where scholarships are more valuable than players and remember only 4 of your 6 or 7 kids can play at a time.

Additionally, we can't get too class heavy on any particular position, otherwise it throws everything out of whack. This, along with promises Charlie made to Fraz and DD, is why Mustain was let go. You get 7 defensive lineman in the '07 class, nobody is going to sign up to play defensive line for you until the '10, '11 classes. And then all of a sudden in 2011 once those kids graduate you're stuck playing players who are inexperienced and possibly freshman.

im wiht you broker, load up that d-line, we will still get top kids to come play, after this year even with a ton of talent in front of them, no matter the position, because the best kids want to go to the best schools and play for the best coaches, they want to come in and compete for a spot and Weis will always give them that opportunity and ND with Weis at the helm will always be a top school with a top coach...our need on the d-line in recruiting this time around is just like our need on the o-line was this time around, its going to take a monster class to fill that need

Guest bluester2000

"We will still get kids to play" sounds a whole lot like "We don't have to recruit hard because we're Notre Dame." Elite kids won't come to sit behind someone for 3 years. Most kids are willing to sit for a year, maybe two. But after that they expect to play.

Sorry, most kids will go where they can play. Grab 2 DTs and 2 DEs. Maybe another 2 DT and 1 DE in '08 and 2 of each in '09. Any more than that throws the whole system out of balance. Let's take a look at the numbers. We have 5 DEs for '07 already and 5 DTs for '05. You're talking about upping those numbers to 8 and 9 respectively. 17 out of 85 spots or 20% of the team would be defensive linemen. We'd have more defensive linemen than we have offensive linemen (15 currently), linebackers (11), defensive backs (16). receivers (15), or quarter/running/fullbacks (14). I'm sorry, I can't approve of such a huge investment. He can go after that many, but he should not sign that many.

We need to focus signing elite defensive linemen, wide receivers, and linebackers.

"We will still get kids to play" sounds a whole lot like "We don't have to recruit hard because we're Notre Dame." Elite kids won't come to sit behind someone for 3 years. Most kids are willing to sit for a year, maybe two. But after that they expect to play.

Sorry, most kids will go where they can play. Grab 2 DTs and 2 DEs. Maybe another 2 DT and 1 DE in '08 and 2 of each in '09. Any more than that throws the whole system out of balance. Let's take a look at the numbers. We have 5 DEs for '07 already and 5 DTs for '05. You're talking about upping those numbers to 8 and 9 respectively. 17 out of 85 spots or 20% of the team would be defensive linemen. We'd have more defensive linemen than we have offensive linemen (15 currently), linebackers (11), defensive backs (16). receivers (15), or quarter/running/fullbacks (14). I'm sorry, I can't approve of such a huge investment. He can go after that many, but he should not sign that many.

We need to focus signing elite defensive linemen, wide receivers, and linebackers.

sorry Blue but I disagree with most of what you are saying. I also don't think your numbers are true.

First of all, kids don't go somewhere simply for playing time. If that were true, than please explain how USC had the top class for 3 consecutive seasons. They are so deep at so many positions and these kids are mostly 4 and 5 star kids. Look at the depth at their LB's. It's unbelievable. But yet they have already grabbed a top LB for the 2007 class. This after grabbing 2 4 stars and 1 5 star in 2006, 3 4 stars and 1 5 star in 2005 and 2 5 stars in the 2004 class. The depth chart obviously matters to these kids but it is not everything.

But even if a kid transfers after sitting for 2-3 years than let him. obviously the better players played. That is why he sat, usually.

Based on our current roster, including the 2006 class, we only have 5 DT's and 4 DE's that will still be on the roster in 2007. That's if Laws doesn't leave for the NFL after 2006 (his 4th year at ND) and you consider Stephenson to be a DT. And Kuntz is considered a tweener. These are some extremely low numbers. Any active roster should have atleast 6 DT's and 6 DE's. Atleast. bare minimum. We need it to be restocked. Adding 3-4 at DT and 2-3 at DE would NOT throw the system off. It would simply put the numbers back in line with where they need to be.

The DT position is the OL of the 2007 class. It will be overstocked. You will NOT see less than 3 DT's. Possibly 4. DE will be atleast 2 but quite possibly 3. I think 3 is more likely.

Based on my logic, in 2007 we will have 8-9 DT's on the 2007 roster. Of which 2 are in their last year. That could even be reduced by one because there will be a definite chance that Laws leaves after his senior season. we would have 6-7 DE's. that's 17-19 percent of the roster set aside for 4 starting positions.

Again, this is just my opinion. We'll see.

Guest bluester2000

You're right, it's not all about playing time, but you're comparing apples with oranges. We are no USC, not yet. Kids go to USC because they know they'll become stars and even if they only play for a year or two they'll be very high picks.

The issue you're getting into is that you're throwing scholarships/money at the problem instead of hard work. Since there were mistakes made, instead of correcting why the problem occurred (failure to find the elite d-linemen) you're just going to end up with a bunch of OK players. You correct the problem by finding the elite 1 DT and the elite 1 NT of this class and offering them now. If they don't commit in a timely fashion withdraw their offers and move on.

We sign 4 4/5 star DTs this year, we will not get another 4/5 star DT for at least 2 full recruiting cycles. Defensive line is vastly different than offensive line in terms of recruiting. Left tackle isn't that different from right tackle, guards and centers can be interchangeable. DT is way different than NT (about 40 lbs at the minimum) and strongside end is much different than weakside end. So while it makes sense just to get numbers on the offensive line, you need to get very specialized players on the d-line. Why is Warren Sapp the most overexposed player in the NFL? Because when he came out he was 300 or so lbs and could run a sub 5 40. Those guys are extremely rare. We need to focus on the elite 4 maybe 5 defensive linemen and get them. Don't jerk around with guys who aren't sure fire NFLers unless for some reason nobody is signing.

PS- I think Laws will stay. It just makes sense that he would. He isn't going on the first day of the NFL without a 5th year.

Guest SirJohn
:) I considered it all an interesting debate between knowledgeable Recruiting people and Notre Dame fans. :( I have been following the reads carefully. Seems a difference of Positions & numbers to arrive at the end result for all of us. A national Championship and to remain 'back on top." It's healthy. :)