Aldridge

Guest Shamrock83

Guest Shamrock83

What does anybody think the chances are of Aldridge getting more touches than Walker this year

I believe he could make the impact that Adrian Peterson made as a freshmen

I think it might end up being a touch choice for coach Weis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shamrock83

I would like to see Travis Thomas get more touches

Travis Thomas + Darius Walker = James Aldridge

Thomas has the power, Walker has the speed and receiving abilities

I have seen video on Aldridge and he seems to be a very good receiver as well as a power back.. very nice speed too

I look for him to be a big contributor as well

Guest Irish4life

well lets see, aldridge carries means less for walker and thomas. oh add the like 3 carries a game for schwapp.so i guess were really spreading it out running the ball.

Guest Shamrock83

Spreading it out is a good idea if you have the players to do it

Keep everyone fresh... more potential to break a huge run

Also, the opposing defense won't get as much of a feel for the running back they are playing against if they have to deal with a few different guys

Guest Irish4life

thats true, like the way your thinking...hmm maybe he wont be red-shirted. all i know is, if there not gonna redshirt him than give him his carries.

Guest SirJohn

:) Aldrege has....everything.....I'd say two years normally he would explode third year on the scene.

However, that being said. There is not a single iota that is not remarkable in this young man, ability, effort character, ND team and on and on. He has a work ethic bar none.

If he doesn't get so excited that he fumbles the ball or some mistake, I can see him put in right away and play quite often 2006.

But then you sure do go back to the Offensive line making a seam. Without that even Reggie Bush sucks.

Get in sync with that O line and after 5-7 yards let him do his stuff. There were mutiple times Coach Weis in 2005 had to clamp down on the East to West dodging and just go forward.

Guest irishrick

this guy will not red shirt, coach is going to have a running team as well as passing, but mostly running til he can get another reciever like jeff to balance , brady will have a good year but not as good as last year, run run pass run run :)

Guest bluester2000

Other than his skill do we have anything substantial corraborating the fact that he won't be red shirted? What he has going for him is the fact that he is getting to campus early, that makes it more likely. IMO this kid may be great, but he isn't the once in a life time kind of talent that would supplant two veterans. Plus, don't forget Hoskins was highly regarded for a period.

If I were coach I'd wouldn't do anything but weight train / condition with Aldridge this Spring. Make him bigger, faster, stronger, meaner. Then, next fall allow him to mix in gradually to the offensive system, but maintain his eligibility. Next spring allow him to replace Thomas. Use a two headed monster of DW and Aldridge the fall of 07. Remember, we'll be breaking in a new QB, and personally I'd like DW's experience in the backfield, and I'd like a really fresh 20 year old who's already been on campus for 2 falls, but hasn't taken a hit in a game yet.

Ill tell you two reasons why he wont redshirt

1. WE do not redshirt kids, they just do not play then can apply for a 5th year

2. Look at the rb depth chart, Walker, Thomas then what? Hoskins has problems and hasnt shown anything yet even though he was a big time recruit, and may not be at ND come spring(just a hunch) after that we got a converted corner. My point, there is no depth in the backfield. Thomas showed some flashes last year and played well when he got in, and would probably be the first choice to fill in for walker, however, I really think aldridge like most great college backs will have a chance to move into second on the depth chart and see alot of playing time early, he will surely be atleast 3rd on the depth chart, and its not rare for charlie to get the third guy alot of carries. Coming in early is only going to help those chances, this kids is the crown jewel of this class in my opinon, he has all the ability to be a big time back, and even for what he did in helping recuriting should tell you other kids respect his ability and he has become the real leader of this class. High school kids wouldnt be following him to ND if he wasnt a real talent who could really shine. I think you will see alot of aldridge this year, and he has a good shot at being the reliable back who can spel walker, over thomas

Guest domerdude

in response to post below-

"this guy will not red shirt, coach is going to have a running team as well as passing, but mostly running til he can get another reciever like jeff to balance , brady will have a good year but not as good as last year, run run pass run run"

have you ever heard of this guy-rhema mcknight

he will balance with shark-

30 runs per game- 30 pass per game

aldridge will help weis execute a balanced attack-

in conclusion....he will have limited reps until he is proven

Guest bluester2000

Point #1 you're arguing semantics. If a kid doesn't play his freshman year he is for all intents and purposes being red shirted. Whether the University will call it that or not, whatever. Generally, the University doesn't do it because they couldn't. Nobody who had a degree, and was NFL ready, would come back because of the lack of coaching quality. IE - if you were a senior, and you were going to be drafted, you take the money, because you know the coaching staff was not going to make you significantly better over the coarse of the year. that's different now.

#2 Aldridge may or may not play. It might make sense for next year's recruiting purposes to let him play, and for Charlie to get the rep of allowing younger guys playing early. I'm not coach, I don't know what he's thinking. However, if I were a coach, I don't put pressure on Aldridge. As it is, running backs have a limited shelf life, both per season and per career. And for me, I think it makes more sense to save him until we really need him ('07, '08). I let Aldridge sit next year, until we need him (both Walker and Thomas go down, or one goes down and the other has nagging injuries), hopefully we can get through the season without needing him.

Guest Shamrock83

"IMO this kid may be great, but he isn't the once in a life time kind of talent that would supplant two veterans."

I wouldn't call a junior running back a veteran in any way... Yeah they would have a little more experience than Aldridge, but at this level nobody is a veteran... They could be beaten out carries just like anybody else could

Guest bluester2000

I'd rather have the opportunity to have Aldridge come back in 2010 than whatever limited effectiveness he could have this season. It's basically a math equation. Aldridge's effectiveness this year vs Aldridge's effectiveness during a 5th year divided by the likelihood he doesn't stay for a 5th year. So if I figure a guy like Aldridge would be 50/50 for a 5th year I have to bank on him being twice as valuable in 2010 than he would be in 06. And I think he will be that good if he comes back for a 5th year.

Aldridge will either make huge strides this spring and over the summer OR he won't be needed in '06 if Thomas and Walker stay healthy. Again, both could happen, but I'd prefer to have the extra year of eligibility.

PS I agree with domer dude... he was better than shark and stovall before the injury... we'll see...

Guest SirJohn

I can't say about the redshirt situation. If I understood it correctly about "balance." I don't really think so. Weis has mentioned in a Presser, he was throwing the ball a bunch and the TV guy stopped him at halftime to inquire if he was going to open up the run in second half. He said he looked at the guy as if he was crazy. In that situation the pass was working why mess with it? There will be game situations where he would want to run rather then pass but if the run isn't working?

Presser below from Michigan State loss explains his Philosophy, remembering also a play can be set up but Brady for instance can changer it at the line if he feels the D set up negates the play called in.

Q. Last thing I have is Rashon Powers Neal, was he not a good fit in that game or was he not able to play?

COACH WEIS: No, we had him dialed up to play more halfback than fullback in that game. So in that game, he didn't get as many reps as we thought was going to play out, because when we spread out to try to come back, we didn't get into the same mentality that we intended to going into the game.

See, going into that game, he was going to be our second halfback not our starting fullback because we figured the halfback would be getting a lot of balls. But when they bunched it up like they did and started overloading up front and we spread them out to start throwing the ball, well, that means Darius (Walker) is on the field because you didn't get off to Darius, or you hit a little trap, a little draw inside and you get yourself a bunch of yards. It was not by design that Asaph (Schwapp) would be ahead of Powers Neal; it was the fact that we intended to use him more at halfback in that game.

Q. Michigan State seemed to get you in a lot of second and longs, I think the average was about second and nine, what did they do to win that phase of the game and how does that limit you or affect you as a play caller?

COACH WEIS: That all depends on what you're calling on first down. I called a lot of passes on first down because I was playing to their aggressive nature that they were playing and that's the same mentality that got us back in the game, by the way so.

You have to understand, there's risk/reward as a play caller. Sometimes you're calling a play to try to make a play. Sometimes you're calling a play to set up another play. Now in that case when you call a play on first down, the easiest down to throw the ball is first down. Because out of all the down and distances that you have, the one that is the least predictable run pass is first down, because they have to play the run as much as they play the pass.

Now if it's second and 15, you know, people are going to play draw screen and drop back pass. But firsts and 10, they are going to have to try to defense both of them. So I think that that's the way you prepare for the game.

IMO, no way does Aldridge get redshirted. Charlie played a large amount of the freshman class, using it as a selling point to recruits for early playing time.

D. Walker is our horse and will continue to be. but he lacks that other gear. Thomas and Aldridge will be worked in with him but Walk will still be the guy. he has skill and a huge heart. he is the epitomy of what an ND football player is/should be.

Again, just my opinion.

Alot of ND recruits were asked who they were most excited to see coming to ND also. Almost everyone they interviewed said Aldridge. James is way too talented to not get carries his freshman year. Walker is good but he is not the complete package that Aldridge is lets be realistic here. I love Darius but Aldridge has better vision for the cutback lane, is bigger,faster, can block better and hits the hole harder. Darius is good but he is not so good that he keeps the talented freshman off the field. Aldridge could very well go down as ND's greatest when its all said and done. I have watched game film on the kid and I truly believe it!!!! I havent been this excited about an ND tailback recruit in a long time. Put me in the " Im drinkin the kool-aid category" this kid is special.