Ward or Martin

Guest brady112106

Guest brady112106

I'm curious now with the OG position handled; Watt and Bullard on board, how everyone would like to see the remaining OL recruits pan out. It is understood that Nixon is high priority, but would we like to see either Pat Ward or Zach Martin? If so which one or both? It's hard not to pay attention to the recruiting sites' rankings, but Ward is a bit more regarded and higher ranked as a tackle. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on this. I hope to have this thread solely dedicated to the tackles still left on the board and who we would like to see.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Ward's film, again from my extremely amateur analysis. I like Martin's though. He does seem like a Michigan lean, but remember when he first got his offer from ND he said he drove to his best friends house to tell him (his best friend is an ND nut). So if that kid gets into ND, it'll be tough for Martin to not join him right?

Guest peterboy48

Hey he is the skunkbears to loose !! Didn't we hear that about Watt with OSU? Nixon will always have a spot because he is the best . It doesn't matter if Ward or Martin verbal to ND. :twisted::twisted:

The updates from Martin's semi-surprise visit are that we may be pulling another Phoenix routine like we did with Watt. Said to've clicked with the players, and that we're anywhere from slightly behind to slightly in front of UM after this weekend, so best guess is 50/50 (again, before he visits UM for a 2nd time, so we'll see afterwards).

Personally? Give me Martin. Ward could have camped at ND to earn an offer, but he didn't. That, and I feel Martin is a little more athletic than Ward, who to me looks like a RT/OG type of recruit.

I'd love to get both, but if given the choice, Martin by a nose.

I'm not sure we have much of a shot at Martin, he looks like Meatchicken from everything I've read.

I diagree, I think we have a shot. I don't think we're in the driver's seat, but he has taken two visits to ND. He seems to be forming good relationships with current players. The longer this goes on, the better it looks for us.

If I had to choose between Ward and Martin I would chooose Martin. The staff offered him first.

If given the chance, we definitely take both. I also think we DO land Nixon. I would take Martin before Ward, afterall, our staff offered him first.

i dont think there's any doubt that we take 2 OTs and leave the door open for Nixon in the end. I think that's the staff's plan.

i dont think there's any doubt that we take 2 OTs and leave the door open for Nixon in the end. I think that's the staff's plan.

New article on Watt seems like good news. he was suprirsed that ND offered even though he didnt camp but said it was a pleasant surprise. Kid plans on majoring in engineering and wants to go to a program that is competitive on the field. also seems very respectable in the way he's going about the recruiting process.

If we're taking 3 OT's, than that's great cause i'd take him and martin and a late commit from X Nix and be thrilled. But if he commits and we can't take Martin's commitment immediately cause we're saving one for Nixon I'll be upset. Luckily, i do expect us to get 3. Does that mesh with us takign a FB this year too now that we also have 2 TE's? Is that Hord's schollie?

New article on Watt seems like good news. he was suprirsed that ND offered even though he didnt camp but said it was a pleasant surprise. Kid plans on majoring in engineering and wants to go to a program that is competitive on the field. also seems very respectable in the way he's going about the recruiting process.

If we're taking 3 OT's, than that's great cause i'd take him and martin and a late commit from X Nix and be thrilled. But if he commits and we can't take Martin's commitment immediately cause we're saving one for Nixon I'll be upset. Luckily, i do expect us to get 3. Does that mesh with us takign a FB this year too now that we also have 2 TE's? Is that Hord's schollie?

Chris, I think you meant Ward, not Watt.

Id take either in a heartbeat. The film making Martin looking better than Ward could be a bit deceptive. Obviously Scout and Rivals do know something, after all teams and fans pay for their services. I also think there is more than an even chance that Ward is actually better than Martin and their rankings are accurate. Whichever guy wants to be Irish the most is my favorite. In the end he'll put in the best effort in the classroom and on the field.

Edited by GermanyDomer

We didn't gain a scholarship for the 2009 class when Hord transfered (unless you believe he was going to be invited back for a fifth year). Hord's scholarship will likely be used to reward one more walk-on with a free year of school. If nothing else, it secures Bermanderfer will be on scholarship again this season.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take three tackles in this class, but I don't know how likely that is to happen unless we offer Benyard (even then who knows). Martin seems to be the more athletic of the two, so I would prioritize him over Ward due to our pressing need for a LEFT tackle. This is probably why Ward had to wait a little longer to get his offer.

However, our odds of getting Martin don't seem to be all that great, even despite him "reconnecting with the Irish" last weekend. Martin is probably a Michigan-Kentucky battle at this point, with Michigan likely overtaking his childhood favorite. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think Notre Dame is going to get Martin.

Ward, on the other hand, I feel pretty good about. I think all of those hard feelings over the lateness of his offer went away when he finally received it. I really believe we are the favorite to land Ward, but he's more of a right tackle prospect. Still, Ward is a great prospect with a lot of upside, so one could only be thrilled to land him.

Martin is going to be a stud. I'm biased because I used to coach him. He's extremely athletic, coachable, and has a nasty mean streak. There's a reason he was offered before Ward.

definately looks that way on film Indy. Does he like you or were you a drill sergeant? Get on this kid!!

A month ago I would have said Martin to UK. YES, UK! His dad played FB there, and is great friends with several coaches, including Joker Phillips, soon to be HC at UK. His mom was a trainer for the FB team, where she met dad. The family still has season tix to UK games, and have been around the program since Zach was little.

But things have changed in the last month, with UM and ND in the picture. Zach may want to forge his own path at this point. Chuck Smith, who is recruiting him for UK, has recently said he doesn't expect him to attend UK anymore, and that UM is leading for his services. I haven't verified if he said that BEFORE or AFTER his last surprise ND trip, as I heard the info the very same day from a UK insider who spoke with Smith.

I don't think that cleared anything up here, but...... I win if he chooses ND or UK, since I support both. ND first of course, for the 40 year reason.

Personally, I think Ward is a right tackle and Martin can play on the left side...However Martin needs to add about 45 pounds before he is ready...So, in either case, we should be crossing our fingers for both...

Although, I love the potential offensive line of

Nixon, Robinson, Cave, Watt, Bullard

It ain't gonna be Ward. Ward may be mentioning ND but don't count on him coming. Two factors working against it. His perception of where he is/was in ND's pecking order (and he's correct). The belief that he really fits Michigans spread offense better than he does ND's.

I don't want get into the whole fox and the grapes routine but some aren't that high on Ward.

Some wonder why ND was sequential in their offers to Schofield and Martin. It just gives other schools ammunition to say "you weren't one of their top 3-4 choices. But we wanted you all along". That is the hang-up with Martin. IMO.

Opinion: I believe Shrives interest in ND was miscalculated even by the coaching staff. And then there is that rising class of Jr. offensive tackles.

Martin is going to be a stud. I'm biased because I used to coach him. He's extremely athletic, coachable, and has a nasty mean streak. There's a reason he was offered before Ward.

Really great to hear this..from a first hand observer/party. How do we stand? With Martin that is?