Lakers v. Celtics

Absolutely one of the greatest things to happen to the NBA in a long time.

I can't think of a better Finals matchup than this, and the networks have to be drooling over the ratings. It will probably grab the TV numbers that haven't been seen since the Jordan era.

The question is, does anybody outside of LA and Boston (New England) care?

I know there are some Patriots fans on this board, so are you Celtics fans too.

And how about my Left Coast brothers out here. Are any of you Laker fans?

I can't wait to see this series tip off.

So is it Lakers in 5, or 6? LOL!! [wink, wink]

GO LAKERS!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely one of the greatest things to happen to the NBA in a long time.

I can't think of a better Finals matchup than this, and the networks have to be drooling over the ratings. It will probably grab the TV numbers that haven't been seen since the Jordan era.

The question is, does anybody outside of LA and Boston (New England) care?

I know there are some Patriots fans on this board, so are you Celtics fans too.

And how about my Left Coast brothers out here. Are any of you Laker fans?

I can't wait to see this series tip off.

So is it Lakers in 5, or 6? LOL!! [wink, wink]

GO LAKERS!

IMO, the rest of the country doesn't care. I grew up in the LA area and don't care much anymore. My love for basketball died the first time Magic Johnson retired. I Was rooting for the Spurs to make it to the finals.

I'm in Chicagoland, and I actually do care. I'm a casual Bulls fan nowadays, but I'm actually sitting down and watching these games this year, even in their entirety. Doesn't hurt that we're not watching pure choir boys (Tim Duncan), or guys who teeter on thug status (Sheed Wallace - does his mouth ever stop?).

Wanted to puke when it was Spurs/Cavs; don't think I watched more than a half a quarter at a time in a given game. This match up is SOOO much better. Call me crazy, but seeing KG do it on the big stage is a really compelling story to watch. Not as much with Kobe Bryant's new look Lakers, but I am intrigued to see how he handles it too.

I see this being a really topsy turvy series. I'm thinking Celtics in 7. Can't help but think that Pierce/KG/Allen are a better threesome than Kobe/Gasol/Odom. Rondo, yet again (hasn't that been the case this entire season?) will be the wildcard.

I'm in Chicagoland, and I actually do care. I'm a casual Bulls fan nowadays, but I'm actually sitting down and watching these games this year, even in their entirety. Doesn't hurt that we're not watching pure choir boys (Tim Duncan), or guys who teeter on thug status (Sheed Wallace - does his mouth ever stop?).

Wanted to puke when it was Spurs/Cavs; don't think I watched more than a half a quarter at a time in a given game. This match up is SOOO much better. Call me crazy, but seeing KG do it on the big stage is a really compelling story to watch. Not as much with Kobe Bryant's new look Lakers, but I am intrigued to see how he handles it too.

I see this being a really topsy turvy series. I'm thinking Celtics in 7. Can't help but think that Pierce/KG/Allen are a better threesome than Kobe/Gasol/Odom. Rondo, yet again (hasn't that been the case this entire season?) will be the wildcard.

yeah but you cant forget the experience that comes with derek fisher, plus the lakers bench is probably the best in the league so i think its going to be really tough series either way its going to be fun to watch

I say Lakers in 6, maybe even 5.

If L.A. can go in and steal game 1, then it just might go 5.

I think that the Celtics will be out of steam and not be able to keep up with the constant running of the Lakers. All of those 7 game series took a lot out of some older guys, and the Celtics never really impressed me on the road in the playoffs. Until the Piston series of course.

I agree Calves that KG/Allen/Pierce are a better three, but only on paper.

KG might work Gasol, but if Odom is on Pierce, he's gonna have a tough series. And if Kobe is on Allen, well we all now how that will probably turn out.

Plus the Lakers are going 5 deep into their bench and getting productivity.

Those Celtic knees are gonna be creaking by game 4.

Plus, I'm never sold on young point guards in the Finals.

They always melt.

Where in SoCal are you dreamer?

Guest irishrick

THIS IS CELTIC COUNTRY, OR better yet working class fans, iam hoping for a Celtic win in five. the lakers are a good team and deserve to win also, but i have to go with the working class crowd garnet and pierce will dominate. ' I HOPE'

I can't help but think this is going to be closer than expected. Most people think its Lakers in 6. Probably (just guessing) the same people that said the Pistons could do it in 6.

There's just something about the Celtics that lulls you to sleep at the wrong time. 7 games vs. Atlanta, but they still won it. LeBron took 'em the distance too, but Paul Pierce went toe to toe to help get the best of 'em. They blow one at home early vs. Detroit, then proceed to take two on the road (their supposed achilles heel) and win in 6.

And as for the "Eastern Conference is inferior" crowd, you're looking at a team that has two stars that were in the West less than a year ago (more than enough experience/familiarity), and a team that went 25-5 vs. the left coast & co.

I picked the Celtics in part because I've never been fond of the Lakers (part Kobe, part the whole celeb vibe their fans have, part Rick Fox, part a lot of things), but I admit that the Lakers have looked a little stronger so far. So did the Pistons, but I'd even say that the Lakers have earned the "favorite" distinction so far in the post season. I get that they are a well rounded team, that they have a better bench, that Fisher has ice in his veins, I get that. But Celtics in 5 just seems flat out illogical. Their team isn't held together by silly puddy, and they'll have had close to a week off, so the creaky knees thing doesn't fly so high with me.

I see KG taking it to another level now that he can taste it. Whether Rondo holds up his end of the bargain remains to be seen, but it'll be good basketball, and I see there being some real ebb and flow to this series. I'll be watching this game closely at work Thursday night (thank goodness for Sports Authority's big screens at every register).

As an avid sports fan I'm stoked for the series. I honestly was hoping for Hornets - Celtics. Going to school in Arkansas currently I saw some of the effects of Hurricane Katrina in regards to a lot of families moving north for work/shelter. I think the Hornets were great for New Orleans this year and CP3 is a lot of fun to watch.

I think the Lakers are the clear favorite, but the big 3 the Celtics have could easily take it to a 7 game series if they all show up each game and potentially win it. The main issue the Celtics have is the fact that they aren't nearly as deep as LA. LA's bench played very well against the Spurs at times during their series allowing Phil Jackson to rest his starters a good bit. The Celtics don't have any reliable threat off the bench. James Posey and PJ Brown will have to have a great Finals in order for the Celtics to have a legitimate shot otherwise the Lakers bench is just going to keep the Celtics behind. Both teams play great defense, but I see Perkins having some trouble with Gasol. Gasol could be a monster if he wasn't so passive.

I'm hoping for a great series for the good of basketball. The NBA is my 3rd favorite sports venue to watch after the NFL and college FB. This is coming from a Bulls fan.

Come on down Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley. ^^

I don't care..... as long as L.A. doesn't win... boy do i dislike the Lakers

I'm with you TD but not because I can't stand the Lakers but because I really don't want Kobe to win. He is an incredible talent but I can't stand his attitude and the things he has done in the past still haven't settled with me.

The only way I see them doing it in 5 is if they go in there game 5 and absolutely punch them in the mouth. Get a little self doubt in the boys in Green.

It's true that two of those big 3 were just in the west, but they've been in the west for a very long time and they've carried their teams for a very long time.

That second part can be said about all three of them for that matter.

Rest and fatique will play a huge factor, and the Celtics don't have the backup soldiers to get it done.

Lakers in 6

1. Cant help but wonder if Pierce's injury is like Corey Patterson's. Sometimes you tear an ACL without even realizing how bad it is. Patterson walked off the field and looked okay, but his season was done.

My friend did that too playing hoops - didn't discover it was torn until he aggravated it about three months after the fact.

At any rate, Paul Pierce could make himself a legend by the time this series is over - the story line setup is there.

2. Rondo didn't look that bad. And KG did step it up, especially on the glass.

3. Kobe wasn't bad, but he wasn't platinum hot either. Holding off some judgments until I see if it was a cold night, or if the Celtics defense was holding him down.

4. Lakers did enough to win this thing in every category except hit the glass hard. Gasol and Odom need to man up and do the dirty work down low, because I'm not sure that anyone else can (this is when you miss Bynum more than anything). Their bench has some good facilitators and shooters, but there's no one off the bench you see as that gritty defensive closer that can be a thorn in KG's side.

Guest irunformelissa
Welcome to Domer Domain anyway...hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks rdrdreamer, glad the Celts grabbed the first "W" of the series.