8 wins in 2008?

Guest SirJohn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joycel

8 wins will be quite a leap from last year, the only game that really bothers me is the mich st. game.. They were playing really good football last year, and I hate losing to them.

Guest ndsuperfan

If the O-Line can protect Jimmy and give the RB's some room to work with we could win 8 games. Until I see us against another opponent i'm sticking with 6-6 with a bowl win to get to win number seven.

Apparently, they have been reading my 10 billion posts about how we will get 8. Again, last year was the perfect storm of crap, yet we still pulled out 3 wins. When there is a graph with statistical data and one point is way off course compared to all the data, what do you do? You throw it out. Last year was the random data point that you throw out. We will be fine this year.

Apparently, they have been reading my 10 billion posts about how we will get 8. Again, last year was the perfect storm of crap, yet we still pulled out 3 wins. When there is a graph with statistical data and one point is way off course compared to all the data, what do you do? You throw it out. Last year was the random data point that you throw out. We will be fine this year.

Im with you word for word on this one. At least they better win 8 or more. There is really no good excuse to not win at least 8. ND has more talent than anyone else we play except SC and next year they will have the experience to go along with it.

It's impossible to even guess at this point. I keep seeing people bring up the fact that we will magically be more experienced next year. That doesn't hold water with me because I didn't see much difference between the first game and last game last year. We were equally as poor in the last game as we were in the first...only the level of competition changed.

Let's see if their is an attitude difference. Let's see if the beefcakes up front can figure it out. Let's see if we can kick a football. Let's see if the new DL can stop the run. Only then can we predict how many wins we might have.

Maybe a more appropriate question is "how many wins does ND need to keep CW from getting put on the hot seat?" I think the answer to that question is 7.

It's impossible to even guess at this point. I keep seeing people bring up the fact that we will magically be more experienced next year. That doesn't hold water with me because I didn't see much difference between the first game and last game last year. We were equally as poor in the last game as we were in the first...only the level of competition changed.

Let's see if their is an attitude difference. Let's see if the beefcakes up front can figure it out. Let's see if we can kick a football. Let's see if the new DL can stop the run. Only then can we predict how many wins we might have.

Maybe a more appropriate question is "how many wins does ND need to keep CW from getting put on the hot seat?" I think the answer to that question is 7.

There's our little ray of sunshine........

I have to say I agree.

. That doesn't hold water with me because I didn't see much difference between the first game and last game last year. We were equally as poor in the last game as we were in the first...only the level of competition changed.

i disagree but even if i point to players who improved over the course of last season, the better point to make would be "guess what? first-time players tend to be INCONSISTENT! second year players not as much." so your contention that it won't mean much that this year's team will be "marginally" more experienced is, IMO, fundamentally flawed. in fact, many people would point out that the biggest leap in production for player is from his first year of playing to his second year. we have a LOT of those players on this upcoming squad. based on that, we have little reason to think, combined with the schedule, that this year's squad won't seriously approach 8 wins.

I agree, BlackIrish. Regarding my previous post, I say 8 at minimum, but probably not much higher regarding the W column. Possibly 9 or 10, but doubtful. I think 8 is a pretty solid number. Watch us win 2 and I have to eat my words... Blah.

We were equally as poor in the last game as we were in the first...only the level of competition changed.

I disagree with this. Our biggest problem last year, by far, was the play (or lack there of) of our offensive line. The OL play was significantly improved by the end of the year. Sure, you can chalk up some of that to the competition but even beyond that there is no way to deny that it improved significantly.

As for the questioning of experience and the benefit of it. Experience DOES matter and it will be a vast improvement. But our biggest improvement is that Ty's guys are graduating and more and more of this roster is now made up of the more talented guys that CW has been bringing in. The other benefit we have for the '08 season is the schedule. If you look at the schedule it's pretty hard to find a way that we don't win atleast 8 games. Again, I predict 9.

I think that I am still not convinced of an 8 win season either. How can everyone forget how bad we were last year? I would much rather be proven wrong then I would if I expected an 8 win season. So I guess I'm siding with our little ray of sunshine and I'll wait to have unrealistic expectaions until after San Diego St.. :lol:

You ask how we can have an 8 win season (the schedule):

San Diego State

Michigan

@ Michigan State

Purdue

Stanford

@ North Carolina

@ Washington

Pittsburgh

@ BC

@ Navy (Baltimore)

Syracuse

@ USC

I will be so bold to put SDSU, Michigan, Purdue, Stanford, UNC, Washington, Navy and Syracuse as victories for the Irish. That's 8 games that I highly think we should win but let's not be too homerish and I'll say we lose 1 of those. That gives us 7 very winnable games with the potential to be 8. The only 2 that I will put as losses off the bat are USC and BC. The remaining games are coin tosses: MSU and Pitt. Although, we should still be favored in the Pitt game.

Michigan should be very bad this year. UNC should be improved but I can't say the same for Purdue, Stanford and Washington. For Syracuse, they can't help but improve. Navy, not 2 years in a row. Ain't happening. To me, the biggest concern of those would be Purdue.

Not going out on a limb here, I definitely won't call for a win over USC. I'm going to the BC game so hoping for a big W there.

My final prediction: 9 - 3.

We were equally as poor in the last game as we were in the first...only the level of competition changed.

I disagree with this. Our biggest problem last year, by far, was the play (or lack there of) of our offensive line. The OL play was significantly improved by the end of the year. Sure, you can chalk up some of that to the competition but even beyond that there is no way to deny that it improved significantly.

As for the questioning of experience and the benefit of it. Experience DOES matter and it will be a vast improvement. But our biggest improvement is that Ty's guys are graduating and more and more of this roster is now made up of the more talented guys that CW has been bringing in. The other benefit we have for the '08 season is the schedule. If you look at the schedule it's pretty hard to find a way that we don't win atleast 8 games. Again, I predict 9.

I would have to agree that the O line play was improved by the end of the year, but more in the running game than not IMO.

It definitely helped to have a pretty fresh Hughes at the end of the season, but like domer said, it was against some bad teams.

I don't know if I can stand with you guys on 8 wins though. My reasoning is that I think that we are going to lose at least one (maybe 2) of the games that we all have chalked up as a win. This could be helped of course with an upset against a team like MSU, who I think beats us.

I'm not sold on a Skunkbear win though.

I know they lost a lot, they have an entirely different scheme, and they suck in ND Stadium. But they still have some talent there, and a hungry offensive mind as a head coach.

Now you're right Rock, it's a pretty cupcake schedule, we just have to win the games that we should.

And how f :censored: g funny would it be if the Irish went 10-2 next year. The press would have a heart attack.

Just PLEASE don't put us in a BCS bowl game. 8)

Just PLEASE don't put us in a BCS bowl game. 8)

If we go 10-2 next year, there is no way they keep us out of a BCS game. Way too much money comes along with the Irish for that to happen.

But, I will be upset b/c we most likely get matched against a VERY good team, and probably lose. Then, the bowl loss streak will continue.

I look at this upcoming season with cautious optimism for several reasons:

1) Mike Haywood calling plays. I know I may be in a minority, but I am happy that CW isn't calling plays anymore and MH is. I think that with MH calling plays we will run the ball more than when CW was. MH is the runningbacks coach and he will call the number of his guys more often than CW (QB coach) did. CW called too many cute/trick plays on 2nd/3rd down and short that ended up putting us behind the chains.

2) The OL will be better (how could they possibly not be) because of running the ball more. It is much easier for the OL to get in a rhythm and settled into games by running the ball. Run blocking is easier on the OL than pass blocking and if a mistake is made, the running back can "bail out" a bad run block, a bad pass block leads to a sack/rushed throw. Additionally, there is no better way to demoralize/break a defense's will than to run the ball at them without them being able to stop it. With our talent at RB, there is no reason for us not to be able to break a def will.

3) JT's help on defense. I believe that with JT helping out on def and changing the mentality of out def football team, we will be more aggressive and force more turnovers. More importantly, I think with JT's more aggressive style, we will get off the field more often on 3rd down and enable our def to be more fresh when they are on the field.

4) Plain and simple, we just are more talented than we have been in the last 5 yrs - on both sides of the ball.

Guest SirJohn

FANATIC: IMHO: Yes we most likely will run more but, I think considering last year all we could do was pass, pass, pass to bail us out of behind games. No disrespect my friend postyer and not a Mod. :)

FANATIC: IMHO: Yes we most likely will run more but, I think considering last year all we could do was pass, pass, pass to bail us out of behind games. No disrespect my friend postyer and not a Mod. :)

SJ, did we pass, pass, pass because we were behind OR were we behind because we passed, passed, passed and didn't take any time off the clock or let the def rest ?