IS NOTRE DAME ON TRACK WITH RECRUITING 2008?

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

I was reading another teams Blog and the coach stated that if his college reaches half the goal of recruits, that they want by end of Summer they will fill their boat. I can't recall but I do believe the board at DD in a consensus, felt 19 recruits would be our desire for this season. Roughly, 4 makes it 25%. Does the Board feel we are on track with several months to go on this other coaches opinion?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say overall that we are a little behind where I would like to see this class, but I'm not sure CW and his staff feel the same way. I think that alot of the kids considering ND are going to see what kind of product we put on the filed before making a decision.

SJ, I think we end up filling out our class with 15 or so..but that we end up with more 3-4 star recruits than 4-5 star. My hunch is that we end up with some mid-tier linemen after we miss out on a lot of our "must gets" such as Eric Shrive. Not that I hope we settle, but its just my guess on what we end up doing

Guest SirJohn

Franco and atrain. IMO, am kinda with you on this class, but I always worry about ND. I think atrains 3-4 star guys is right. I beg forgiveness if I say Golic is not highly rated, a legacy. I am not panning the kid. Sometimes these 3-4 can develop to be outstanding. A benifit is his Mike and Mike radio show by his Dad.

But all coaches and we fans chase the 5 star guys and drool endlessly. These are 2009 guys and we all have read ND should be up top flight 2009 but that talent slid down if it's only 3-4 star guys.

The seasons not over but the constant carping by Media on Fat, Charlie, Spygate (Notice they only mention WEIS?) These bring a negative viewpoint of ND.

My personal opinion (worthless I know) is that most of the kids that really are interested in ND want to wait and see how we look in 4 months (or so).

I know I always bring this up, but we were 3-9 last year and looked HORRIBLE. Last year may not have affected our recruiting much for 07, but we are going to feel it in 09. Having a good solid season this year is VERY important.

Are we behind? I don't think so. I think we are about where we should be. We have a limited number of spots, and are trying to get the right people for those spots. It should be very slow between now and the start of our season. I think we will be somewhere in the 8-12 commit range by the time we play a couple of games. Then we will have 4 or 5 months to add the remaining 7 - 10 players.

Guest Shamrock83

I would like to see maybe 1 or 2 more commits at this point specifically on the OL... But I'm not worried

I think we will have somewhere between 3 and 4 more commits by the time 2 a days start for high school.

If we come out and look good and get some visits from kids we will get rolling fast in the season.... maybe the last 2 or 3 will be around the AAA game?

No reason to be worried about something uncontrollable.

We have a few things playing against us that has slowed the pace for early, recruiting but think that we will ultimately be fine. We have had two stellar classes that are young, CW hasn't been on the road as much b/c of new rules, we went 3-9, and we really haven't had kids camp, yet, because it isn't summer, yet. When you put those all together, we don't see the dramatic pace that we once had; but in the past, most of our early commits came in June/July. When I say the past, I mean classes before the last two. We will be fine.

Guest Krazyglue2k

Let’s not forget CW thoughts about visiting other schools after making the commitment to ND.

He really stuck to his guns last year when a certain player wanted to “play the field” after committing to ND. I think we could be seeing the effect of the recruits needing to be 100% sure that ND is the place for them.

Given how many times recruits have said, "they've told me to stay patient", or, "Notre Dame is working on a different time table than most schools", this year, I think we're more than fine. The staff is obviously trying to slow things down this year, between the rules changing and the 3-9 effect of wanting to prove to recruits that we are a viable program this upcoming fall. This year is a very different animal than last, where the staff knew they were going to take a hit, and thus rushed to get as many kids aboard ASAP.

If Eric Shrive doesn't shock the ND faithful, we wouldn't have so many nervous minded threads started up at numerous boards. We'd still be basking in the glow of Cierre Wood's commitment. But all things considered, we're already wrapped up at RB, landed a NT (not exactly a position kids flock to), we're almost a shoe in for Budmayr... we're right on track IMO. Would like to see the defense catch up to the offense, but I'm not panicking in the least.

Calves, the position that I'm most worried about is OL. The way our line played last year was a big concern and I know we got some kids like Trev coming in but I don't see us in play for many of the top talent at OL.

Shrive already surprised us and I have a feeling that Nixon will stay in the south. Nothing concrete, just a gut feeling. Rumor also has it that Watt will be committing to Illinois and I just don't think that we have many options. I know it's early but.....

Calves, the position that I'm most worried about is OL. The way our line played last year was a big concern and I know we got some kids like Trev coming in but I don't see us in play for many of the top talent at OL.

Shrive already surprised us and I have a feeling that Nixon will stay in the south. Nothing concrete, just a gut feeling. Rumor also has it that Watt will be committing to Illinois and I just don't think that we have many options. I know it's early but.....

Yeah, Some of ND's current OL offers are longshots IMHO. The kid from Provo, UT (BYU is in Provo) so forget him, Nixon will stay in the south, the kid from Jersey wants to play DE. Who else is there? They better offer Ward. The kid has come to ND on his own dime 4 times, has a good GPA and, is a Catholic school kid, and is a 4 star OT with tons of offers. Does anyone know why he doesnt have an offer?

This recruiting class will be okay, I'm not worried the least bit. Like everyone else, we will have our big gets, and big surprise commitments.

Don't believe that rumor of Watt commiting to illinois, not saying it couldn't happen, but they think they get everyone (it's like the boy who cried wolf).

BTW.... I hate to say this but Shrive is a prime decommit candidate. The same way, but for different reasons in which we got T-Rob, i think he'll see the light; that or the golden dome. I also think we reel in the deisel(Shaq)

BTW.... I hate to say this but Shrive is a prime decommit candidate. The same way, but for different reasons in which we got T-Rob, i think he'll see the light; that or the golden dome. I also think we reel in the deisel(Shaq)

I'd be more surprised than not if Shrive decommitted. From the comments he made, it appears he wasn't overly impressed with Latina, his style or his ability to get his OL into the NFL, and I for one don't blame him, I'm not impressed either

I guess if ND's line performs well this year it will make Shrive look like a fool. Im not for sure about Latina either but I sure hope he proves everyone, including me, wrong. Does anyone off hand know how many OL Latina has put into the NFL since he came to ND?

Does anyone off hand know how many OL Latina has put into the NFL since he came to ND?

That would be a grand total of 4

08 - Sullivan 6th round 187 overall

07 - Harris 3rd round 70 overall

07 - Santucci 7th round 230 overall

06 - Stevenson 6th round 205 overall

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=N&collegeName=Notre+Dame&abbrFlag=0&type=school

I understand that he didn't have the most talent in the world to work with, but even our current OL doesn't seem to be getting better and there is plenty of talent to work with.