No more good QB recruits for 2009?

ND has brought in top QB recruits since Weis' first REAL recruiting class (2006). D. Jones, Zach Frazier (could have gotten Mitch Mustain), Jimmy Clausen, & Dayne Crist.

What troubles me is this year. I looked at both Rivals and Scout and it seems that all or most of the top QB's in 2009 are already taken. What gives? who exactly are we targeting an are we in good shape with them.

I'm getting kinda worried because all the top QB's are dropping like flies and I haven't even really heard anything about a GOOD QB prospect being interested in ND.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shamrock83

worst case scenario this sets us up nicely for next years QB recruits... but I'm sure we'll grab someone... maybe Charlie scouted out someone the pay sites havent heard of yet.

I'm really not too concerned with a QB at this juncture. We have Dayne coming in and we'll probably get another next year. If you're a dooms-day believer and you're looking for depth, don't count out Montana. I know he didn't start in highschool, but if you think 2 QB's can go down (like UCLA) in one year, I would say the odds are stacked against that. I think he will be very serviceable given the talent around him. If you believe in losing JC and DC in one year, then why not believe in the second coming of Montana? :lol:

We absolutely need a QB in this class. No way around it. And we should never look to bring in a back up QB, or any position for that matter. We should continue to only bring in the best. When you are an elite program you do NOT recruit backups.

Guest Irishrider

I know we always need to recruit the best players in the nation but this should be expected for this year. We bring in the top QB in Jimmy 2 years ago and he has already been anoited. Then we arguably bring in the top pro style QB last year in Crist. Any top QB is looking at he competition and afraid to come. In a QB's head, other positions like RB and WR are not like QB in this regard: you really only need 1 QB. A back up or a mop up player is necessary, but how many times do they really get to see the field. With RBs and WRs and basically any other position, recruits know that throughout the season there is always the need for 2, 3, or even 4 players. With QB, a team wants 1 starting QB and hopes no others are needed.

We might not get our first choice this year, but next year should be ok with charlies reputation with QBs.

Ask USC, and the top talent they get every year, their thoughts of whether a team should continue go after the best. Sanchez, Corp, Mustain and Blakley could all be on the roster in '09. That's three 5 star QB's and one 4 star QB on the roster at one time.

Guest Irishrider

I agree rockne that we need to go after the top talent. Its just hard to do year in and year out even though some like USC have been able to do it.

Also- next year we will have 2 5 start QBs on the roster and evan sharpley who i believe was a 4 star.

I agree rockne that we need to go after the top talent. Its just hard to do year in and year out even though some like USC have been able to do it.

Also- next year we will have 2 5 start QBs on the roster and evan sharpley who i believe was a 4 star.

Sharpley was a 3 star, 12th ranked pro-style QB by Rivals. He was a 4 star by Scout but the 18th ranked QB.

Any chance with Jon Budmayr?

He was HS teammates w/Sean Cwynar whose a frosh DE for us now.

He looks as if we offer, he'll prob commit either right on the spot or within the week.

I know it's just a camp, but he was MVP at the NIKE Camp in Ohio this past weekend.

Any chance with Jon Budmayr?

He was HS teammates w/Sean Cwynar whose a frosh DE for us now.

He looks as if we offer, he'll prob commit either right on the spot or within the week.

I know it's just a camp, but he was MVP at the NIKE Camp in Ohio this past weekend.

He was the MVP of the quarterbacks there, not the entire camp. Opinions are just that, but the pay service guys who reported on it said nobody really stood out at QB. Said Bud was good, but some of the younger guys at the camp looked like better prospects down the road.

Just my take, but I see the Irish offering Mossakowski before Budmayr if there is still legitimate interest. Just my guess based on the type of guy Weis has had the most success with in the past. Not trying to knock Bud, 'cause I think he'd be a great fit for what this class needs (a guy who's more excited about the school than the prospects of playing early), but Weis is a pro-coordinator at heart, and there aren't many short QBs in the NFL who've done well to look at (yes, there's Drew Brees. And then there are HOW many guys who are 6'4" give or take an inch?)

At any rate, while we won't be getting anyone who is an instant 5 star impact caliber recruit, I still feel like we're far from reaching the point where we hit the panic button. There are still a lot of guys with the tools out there, that just may need some more coaching and polish than guys like Murray and Barkley.

ND has brought in top QB recruits since Weis' first REAL recruiting class (2006). D. Jones, Zach Frazier (could have gotten Mitch Mustain), Jimmy Clausen, & Dayne Crist.

What troubles me is this year. I looked at both Rivals and Scout and it seems that all or most of the top QB's in 2009 are already taken. What gives? who exactly are we targeting an are we in good shape with them.

I'm getting kinda worried because all the top QB's are dropping like flies and I haven't even really heard anything about a GOOD QB prospect being interested in ND.

People will point at USC and say that they load up every year....but USC is an oddity. It is going to be VERY hard to bring in top QBs every year.....especially when we have that spot pretty much decided (barring an injury or two.....or someone being a flop) for the next 4 or 5 years.

It also doesn't help that our offense was dead last in 07.

Ask USC, and the top talent they get every year, their thoughts of whether a team should continue go after the best. Sanchez, Corp, Mustain and Blakley could all be on the roster in '09. That's three 5 star QB's and one 4 star QB on the roster at one time.

And only one of them is going to be on the field for meaningful time...

With DC / JC we are set for a minimum of 3 more years at the position. If we are looking for someone to come in and backup or compete for the starting position in the event the aforemention flop...than that says two things to me...First and foremost, we shouldn't depend on 4/5 * recruits for the position (as I recall B Quinn was a 3/4 *) simply because DC / JC were the two highest recruits at the position ND has ever gotten...And second, that we shouldn't be too worried about not landing a 4* QB this year because a lower rated prospect could develop in the system...

Either way...with Claussen, Christ and Bryan Castello should provide competent performance at the position for the immediate future...

If you are talking about filling the position in 2011 than we could worry about filling that spot in the 2009 recruiting class...

With DC / JC we are set for a minimum of 3 more years at the position.

Not so fast. Remember that at the beginning of last year we had 4 legitimate possible starters. Now we're down to two plus Dayne inbound. An injury to JC (and let's face it...that's not a stretch) and we have a center fielder and a greenhorn! I certainly wouldn't say the QB situation is "set".

Ahhhh....my rain cloud's back. I'm like ants at a picnic!

Not so fast. Remember that at the beginning of last year we had 4 legitimate possible starters. Now we're down to two plus Dayne inbound. An injury to JC (and let's face it...that's not a stretch) and we have a center fielder and a greenhorn! I certainly wouldn't say the QB situation is "set".

Yeah, you really know how to piss on subject don't you. Ha Ha..... :lol:

And only one of them is going to be on the field for meaningful time...

How bout an injury? They do happen. What if one of them doesn't pan out?

Either way...with Claussen, Christ and Bryan Castello should provide competent performance at the position for the immediate future...

You're putting Castello into this mix? Seriously? Again, how bout an injury or one of the TWO not working out.

If you are talking about filling the position in 2011 than we could worry about filling that spot in the 2009 recruiting class...

The QB we take in this class would be in the 2009 recruiting class.

ya know, and i'm shocking myself here, but i agree with you! :lol: :lol: and furthermore, i don't think that you are necessarily being pessimistic either. those things you mentioned are all quite possible.

oh no! what am i saying? next thing ya know, i'll be predicting a 4-win season and a plague of frogs on south bend! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not trying to pick on you coach, but Quinn wasn't any 3/4 star. He was a legitimate 4 star recruit selected to the AAA game, meaning national recognition. He was the 4/5 star caliber recruit that we've seen the last two years, and without him we're screwed.

That in mind, if there were a year to take a "developmental" guy, this year would be it, so I'm with you that we don't NEED a 5 star this year. I don't care that much as to how polished the kid is/isn't in a west coast or pro style scheme for this class. If the kid has tools, and he wants to go to Notre Dame vs. go to Notre Dame's depth chart, thats all I care about. Budmayr definitely fits the bill with wanting the school, Newton ain't polished but he's got great athleticism... there are a couple guys that we wouldn't salivate over last year that are better fits this time around.