Freshman impact players

What freshman do we think will see the field this year??

With such a young team as a whole, I think we could easily see Ethan Johnson, Michael Floyd, Deion Walker and maybe even Cave or Robinson get on the field for extended time...

Thoughts?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filer, Flemming, Floyd, Walker, Robinson, Williams, and of course the Braxinator. Maybe even more, CW's not afraid to play young talent. "If you can dodge a ball, then you can dodge a wrench." So if you can ball, who cares if you get carded for R movies, you're playing! :D

The DL guys. Doubtful on any DBs or LBs, since we are stronger at those positions, unless Filer knocks off T. Smith. Doubtful anyone on the OL. Floyd, Robinson, or Goodman. Doubtful anyone at RB unless Jonas knocks someone off. Maybe Dayne, but doubtful. Rudolph definitely, or Fauria. I am not counting special teams, but some of them could show up there. Looking at the starters, though, we are much more solid this year than last year.

Floyd definitely if he keeps up lifting :D

i have a feeling that he is working out very hard right now, cause he knows he has a shot to be an immediate impact. Plus after reading all those articles if i remember correctly he used to get up before school and go lift and things like that. I also think there was an article about how he rode his bike like 20 miles just so he could get to the high school gym and lift. he has the work ethic

Guest NDgirl09
Ethan Johnson, Michael Floyd, and Kyle Rudolph

exactly what i was going to say, with the addition of Walker and Fauria.

The DL guys. Doubtful on any DBs or LBs, since we are stronger at those positions, unless Filer knocks off T. Smith. Doubtful anyone on the OL. Floyd, Robinson, or Goodman. Doubtful anyone at RB unless Jonas knocks someone off. Maybe Dayne, but doubtful. Rudolph definitely, or Fauria. I am not counting special teams, but some of them could show up there. Looking at the starters, though, we are much more solid this year than last year.

i agree whole-heartedly with everyone you mentioned except the LB's. i think flier and/or fleming can get some PT here because of our (still) lack of big-time athleticism at the LB position.

and i could see TRob getting some PT at o-line. maybe... :wink:

Yeah, I totally forgot about TRob and Cwynar. I kind of already count them as part of the team, but I definitely see both of them getting PT. When I look at the backers, I do see Toryan Smith's position up for grabs, but think that Brian Smith and Kerry Neal might be able to solidify the outside positions with a year under their belt. It depends on our philosophy regarding rotating guys and how specialized we will be on blitzes. I don't think Crum ever comes out. Fleming could probably fill the same role as Neal and Smith. Either way, I can't wait to see our depth pay off. Especially, against SDSU.

Guest ndfootballwiki

Offense

Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Joseph Fauria (due to lack of numbers at TE)

Defense

Steven Filer, Darius Fleming, Ethan Johnson, Brandon Newman

Crist - not unless both QB 's are injured

Gray - might see some mop up duty

FLOYD - will start at some point in the first few games

WALKER - will play

Goodman - probably won't play this year

RUDOLPH - will play significant time

FAURIA - guessing he will see time as a blocking TE

Cave - mop up duty

Robinson - same as Cave

Clelland - won't play

Golic - won't play unless he is the long snapper

WILLIAMS/Newman - both will see some playing time backing up I.W.

Lewis-Moore - don't think he sees the field this year

JOHNSON - possibly be starting by midseason and will see PT throughout

CWYNAR - will see PT when rotations come in for D-Line

FILER - may grab starting spot, definitely play

FLEMING - will rotate in at OLB

McDonald - won't play

Posluszny- won't play

Blanton/Slaughter/McCarthy - won't play

I think 9 (in caps) will see the field quite a bit and a few others will get mop up time.

Big impact guys: Floyd, Rudolph on offense and Johnson and Filer on defense. I think all 4 start by midseason.

ST = Special Teams Role

MD = Mop Up Duty

Will see the field:

- Ethan Johnson (@ least 2 deep)

- Michael Floyd (@ least 2 deep)

- Darius Fleming (2 deep)

- Kyle Rudolph (@ least 3 TE sets)

Strong odds to see the field:

- Steve Filer

- Anthony McDonald (ST)

- Hafis Williams (2 deep?)

OR

- Brandon Newman (2 deep?)

50/50:

- John Goodman (slot?)

- Deion Walker

- Braxston Cave

- Trevor Robinson

- Robert Blanton (ST)

- Jonas Gray

- Sean Cwynar

- Joseph Fauria

Long odds:

- Mike Golic Jr.

- David Posluszny (ST)

- Kapron Lewis-Moore

- Jamoris Slaughter (ST)

Redshirt:

- Dan McCarthy

- Lane Clelland

- Dayne Crist

Guest Irishrider

I think a number of D players including D backs could play on special teams. Blanton especially is known to be a hard hitter. I am not so sure about Filer starting however. It takes some coaching to learn the ins and outs of inside linebacker. Plus with Harrison Smith playing more of a linebacker position there might not be a need.

I think a number of D players including D backs could play on special teams. Blanton especially is known to be a hard hitter. I am not so sure about Filer starting however. It takes some coaching to learn the ins and outs of inside linebacker. Plus with Harrison Smith playing more of a linebacker position there might not be a need.

well, i never said anything about flier starting. i just said with his athleticism, something we lack at the LB position (hence harrison playing there on occasion), i could see him getting playing time, esp. by mid-season.

i agree though, that there is a lot to learn at the LB spot, for sure.

btw, i think fleming might get PT right away, at least in pass-rushing situations, kinda like b. smith last year...

well, i never said anything about flier starting. i just said with his athleticism, something we lack at the LB position (hence harrison playing there on occasion), i could see him getting playing time, esp. by mid-season.

btw, i think fleming might get PT right away, at least in pass-rushing situations, kinda like b. smith last year...

the difference is B. Smith is here already. As is Kerry Neal. I do think Fleming will get rotated in almost immediately but I doubt they'll value his pure pass rush ability much higher than either of those 2 sophs

the difference is B. Smith is here already. As is Kerry Neal. I do think Fleming will get rotated in almost immediately but I doubt they'll value his pure pass rush ability much higher than either of those 2 sophs

It will be interesting to see the Tenuta/Brown hybrid, who knows who will shine or if it will be a bunch of guys combining for sacks. There will be pressure coming from all around if the GT D's we saw the last 2 yrs indicate anything. I think Fleming might be the cream of this last class with Floyd, which says alot because I think there are alot of immediate contributors who signed in February.

wow, people seem to be commenting on things i didn't say! :wink:

of course, he won't be valued above smith and neal but he will get early PT cuz of his ability and size. it's not knock on those guys. plus, going to rush the qb is easy for a frosh to do. again, darius will be situational at best but he will play early in my estimation.

clearly, when i talk about the lack of athleticism at the LB position i'm mainly talking about the MLB's. again, that is a problem, hence i think that's why harrison is gonna line up there on a lot of occasions.

Well, since i actually have some inside info after seeing Weis tonight..

The Question was asked "of the new guys who are you most excited about"

He said he loves big guys, so he said he is excited to see Brandon Newman and Braxston Cave, I was a little shocked but who knows if they will see alot of PT,, maybe he is just excited? He also said he wants to see those guys line up against each other just for fun. He also said Ethan, but i think he was buttering up to the crowd.