our defense in a few years

irishziggy

with all the athleticism we're getting in this class. our defense is going to be ridiculous.

watching USC and seeing all those guys fly around made me smile. yea i hate the trojans, but it made me realize if you can get guys who fly around and make plays then your defense can be pretty good.

with our big physical corners and our quick athletic safeties, we should never lose to an option/spread offense or any other run oriented team again. if you saw how USC dominated by just staying in their lanes and flying to the ball, then you saw what our Def will look like for years to come.

Guest TexasIrish

Has anyone watched Georgia and thought of the similarities between us and them? They have a young QB, who was highly touted, but had a rough freshman year. This year is he lighting it up. A young D who is coming into its own. And if you ever wanted to make an agruement for how the development of the big uglies just look at the impact Georgia's D and O line had on the game tonight.

Next year if ND can put up a campaign similar to Georgia's run this year, I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Has anyone watched Georgia and thought of the similarities between us and them? They have a young QB, who was highly touted, but had a rough freshman year. This year is he lighting it up. A young D who is coming into its own. And if you ever wanted to make an agruement for how the development of the big uglies just look at the impact Georgia's D and O line had on the game tonight.

Next year if ND can put up a campaign similar to Georgia's run this year, I wouldn't have any problem with that.

i've made this comparison too though mainly with stafford and JC but your other points are well-taken.

i'm so hesitant to make predictions after i swore up and down we'd be an over .500 team this past season but we can really be an 8-to-9 win team if we get off to a good start and build some confidence. and the good news is our schedule, unlike last year's, will allow to actually build some momentum. maybe. :wink:

I'd take their season in a heartbeat, except for the losses of course :lol:

Herbstreit thought 6-7 wins for ND was reasonable during the Rose Bowl.

I would tend to agree that we will be somwhere in the 6-8 win range.

I think if we don't win 8 games, with the schedule we have and the turnover at major rivalry schools, Weis would be on a major hot seat. BC loses something like 17 seniors, Meatchicken loses Hart, Henne, and probably Manningham, Long, Crable, etc... USC, they're another story, they should be very good. It's them, OSU or the Myths team as preseason #1.

Again, it ALL depends on how well the offensive line improves.

It seems to me that people are forgetting/blocking out how ghastly our offense was last year. If we had seen one more "resurgent" game, we'd be able to tell if the last two games were the tipping point or an indictment of who we were playing. Because we didn't see a bigger body of work with the Robert Hughes/Dan Wenger/Duval Kamara "new look" offense after Clausen returned to the starting job, I really don't know.

I guess my point here is right now, all we're focusing on is the practice reports from the AAA and UA game. When thats all you've got to listen to, it's easy to drink the recruiting kool-aid and think, "we'll jump right back into this thing - just look at our opponents' losses." Yes, this recruiting class should go a long way towards retooling our defense, especially 2-3 years from now. But regarding next year? Listen to SD would be my advice - if our OL doesn't turn the corner during spring/fall camp, we're doomed to repeat our past mistakes.

Whose avatar was it that had the quote from Coach Weis to Aldridge (I think) about winning a NC in four years or being fired?

I love Coach Weis. Love the fact he is a former Domer and understands the University, what it's all about, where it's been, and where it's going. Love the fact that he took on a tremendous challenge. Love the fact that he is honest and a little brash. Love the fact that he sticks up for his school and players. And love the fact that he is an alumni of Flanner Hall.

But he wins nine or he should step down. That would be keeping his word.

Herbstreit thought 6-7 wins for ND was reasonable during the Rose Bowl.

I would tend to agree that we will be somwhere in the 6-8 win range.

I think if we don't win 8 games, with the schedule we have and the turnover at major rivalry schools, Weis would be on a major hot seat. BC loses something like 17 seniors, Meatchicken loses Hart, Henne, and probably Manningham, Long, Crable, etc... USC, they're another story, they should be very good. It's them, OSU or the Myths team as preseason #1.

Again, it ALL depends on how well the offensive line improves.

Georgia will have something to say about that preseason #1 too.

They bring a ton of people back, and usc loses some good talent on D.

mauluga is gone as gone, and lo-jack and sedrick ellis are gone.

keith rivers is gone but cushing will probably come back, and I forget who they lose with the D backs.

besides that, they bring in a new (relatively) QB, they lose fred davis their leading receiver, and still don't have a proven receiver.

Tons of talent at RB, but no one solid starter their either.

They lose washington in the backfield, maybe their most consistent back all year, but I don't know how mcknight doesn't start there next year.

Opps! I got off topic I think.

It's just so fun bashing the trojans.

With all I said about them, they should lose 4 games next year.

Right? :?

Mark it down...Either USC or UGA will be crowned pre-season #1. I know, I know really going out on a limb there. But those two are the most dominating teams at the end of the season. Florida to many question marks. OU, psst, please.

UGA is young and bring a solid talent group back.

USC is USC. Lo-Jack replaced by Everson Griffen. Ellis replaced by Spicer. Rey Rey and Cushing both stated they were coming back, things could change though. Juice is going to have nightmares about Rey coming free on a dead sprint towards him.

WR's are defintately a question mark. There is talent but it has been incosistent. Havili is presents problems for D's and he comes back. Joe "I Need Money" McKnight will start for the next two years.

Guest IH8MarkMay

I think we'll see a lot of Stafon Johnson next year, the SC fans on Rivals main board all say he was their most complete back this year he just didnt get the carries because of C. Washington. Nobody is gonna do an adequate job of replacing Ellis that guy was amazing

Mark it down...Either USC or UGA will be crowned pre-season #1. I know, I know really going out on a limb there. But those two are the most dominating teams at the end of the season. Florida to many question marks. OU, psst, please.

UGA is young and bring a solid talent group back.

USC is USC. Lo-Jack replaced by Everson Griffen. Ellis replaced by Spicer. Rey Rey and Cushing both stated they were coming back, things could change though. Juice is going to have nightmares about Rey coming free on a dead sprint towards him.

WR's are defintately a question mark. There is talent but it has been incosistent. Havili is presents problems for D's and he comes back. Joe "I Need Money" McKnight will start for the next two years.

I would be surprised (not really) if usc was named Preseason #1.

They just lose too many key players.

I know they plug in all -americans when one leaves, but this could be a down year for their pass rush. I love everson griffin. I hadn't seen him until the AAA game last year, and he absolutely dominated.

I just don' t think that he's ready to dominate yet. He got a lot of criticism from is coaches for over pursuing this year. He has a great motor, but he's still raw. His athleticism will get him a lot in his second year while he matures into an Irish killer.

I also think mauluga is going to lean towards the NFL. petey said that rey said that he would stay, but rey directly said that he would consult professionals on what his draft status will be.

And don't overlook the fact that they bring in a brand new starting QB next year with no #1 WR.

I know he, whoever it is, was an overall #1 QB, but he's still a brand new starter.

For the record, mustain scares me more than sanchez.

I hope petey plays the loyalty card and starts sachez.