rich rodriguez, might be the coach at ann arbor

Guest irishrick

Guest irishrick

West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez has reportedly become the front-runner for the job at Michigan.

The Detroit Free Press and Detroit News both reported that Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and school president Mary Sue Coleman in Toledo, Ohio on Friday about the open position.

The Wolverines need to replace Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement on November 19, two days after Michigan closed the regular season with a 14-3 loss to arch-rival Ohio State. Carr will coach the Wolverines in the Capital One Bowl against Florida on New Year's Day.

Rodriguez has been the head coach at West Virginia since 2001. His teams have had a winning record in every season but one, Rodriguez's first year. His career mark at WVU is 60-26, and Rodriguez has a contract to remain head coach of the Mountaineers through 2013.

he is very successful at wv, must be the $$$$ he is after, he will get the job if he wants it ? what say you ??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't see the spread working at all with their current group players. Mallet is about the least athletic kid in college football. It would take 3-4 years for their offence to be any good. Other than that he has had a history of blowing big games. So, I wouldn't mind him getting the job. :?

I couldn't see the spread working at all with their current group players. Mallet is about the least athletic kid in college football. It would take 3-4 years for their offence to be any good. Other than that he has had a history of blowing big games. So, I wouldn't mind him getting the job. :?

he ran the spread in high school

all they have to do is sling it all over the place.

he might not be that fast, but spread the offense with 4 wr's then hand it off to the rb, it can work.

he might not be that fast, but sp

read the offense with 4 wr's then hand it off to the rb, it can work.

Especially with a huge arm like Mallett has.

Didn't Rodriguez turn downthe job at Alabama before Sabin took it?

I wonder what more he would see in Ann Arbor, other than competing against a weak Big 11.

he might not be that fast, but spread the offense with 4 wr's then hand it off to the rb, it can work.

I'm assuming he meant to say the option, not spread. I actually watched Mallet some in high school (I live in Texarkana). Kid was pretty phenomial, but I wouldn't trade him for Clausen ever.

If Pryor comes, I'll bet a million dollars Mallett leaves. He's already not fitting in. If Rodriguez is going to run more of a spread option, he'll be a square peg for sure.

What would worry me as a Michigan fan, is Rodriguez's inability to win big games ... ever. Remember, he's had more talent than all of his opponents for the last two years.

One thing is for sure, he will be able to attract more talent at UM than he could ever get at WV.

It's a good thing that our linebackers will be like lightning for the next few years.

Thats a good possibility Chris. For some reason Im not too worried about this guy. I think he's a risky hire for Michigan. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.