WEIS TO BE BASHED

Guest SirJohn

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest irishrick

I

well to be honest with you i think charlie is doing the right thing, he is searching for answer, and he is trying to get things better, he knows he needs help and he is going to go ask for it, i think this speaks well of the man myself, if he had a little better talent and experience we would have done better iam sure , i still see a change in some of his staff, plus i think he will get some flak about some of the play calling ? what say you ?

:)

Guest SirJohn

Yep. I resent people not in the know saying he is arrogant as a coach. This year did NOT work out so what's he doing but eating humb;e pie and as you said Rick searching for answers. What was that incident? With Purcells? Weis offered some opinion and the HC told him he had only been in the organization five minutes so shut up. :lol:

That is what you do to keep ahead of the coaching curve, rather then tink you know it all.

I hear ya Sir John, but I have to confess I am guilty of this myself. For example, I think Les Miles is one of the most arrogant people around. In reality, he could be a great guy and just an intense old coach, but unfortunately all I see are his body motions on the sidelines, his game-time interviews when he's being short with the sideline reporters and snippets when he bashes the Pac-10 for being overrated. Then again, he could be arrogant and I'd be right on.

With Weis, most other fans who do not follow them like us are in the same boat. All they see are times during the games and occasional quotes. Unfortunately he too has been short with reporters during games. They don't read about him taking the team to Chicago for the Hughes family funeral, his more detailed pressers where he talks about caring for the players, etc. Some of the other things that get more press like the pass right or the USC locker room congratulations are thus interpreted as a publicity stunts.

I think Weis going back to his other "home" is good as he'll get the unvarnished truth from people he trusts and respects.

My concern is that they'll feedback based on the prism of the pros...

It's obvious to me that this year suffers from a lack of

a) fundamentals

b) toughness

c) leadership (player and coach)

Schematically... what made Charlie successful in 2005, is he introduced only a small set of the playbook... and he was consistent with it... and he let it grow from there.

Also, 2005... those kids were so hungry to win... with a coach that actually cared...

My concern with the pros... is that coaching dynamics are different.. you have more time to work on a & b above, as a team, and individually... and most of these kids enter the pro's with high level of skills and/or talent.

In college... it really is about maximizing a & b within the constraints of the development system.

Leadership should come from the players... but your team is losing ... it has to come from the coaches. Charlie should set the tone, and empower, and hold accountable, the assistants to re-enforce... leadership 101 ...

On a losing team... discipline and repitition ... often works... in my experience on all sorts of teams.

Guest SirJohn

!qa. I think if wee look aback at the 2oo6 team many many times Weis said he was going to simplify his play book. That is the 2006 could not even grasp the schemes mental or talent wise, and i sensed then a drop off of Leadership from the team.

We go to the failed experiment with DJ and that mess I would guess Weis was down to only 3 pages of his playbook, since nobody could grasp a naked girl ruunning through the huddle for Mom, Pop and the American way let alone a fundamental play learned repetively.

Thought I read something that said he would head over there in February, when the playoffs are over. It can't hurt, glad to see CW taking this approach to improve. Maybe he comes back and we start rolling teams like the Pats. Can't wait to drop 50+ on the (wo)men of Troy.

I'm with 1qa. While I am all for Weis getting any input that he can from people in the football community. I'm not sure that the Patriots is the best place.

One of our biggest problems we've had this year, and honestly last (except for BQ) is a lack of player development. This is evident with players like Sam Young who actually took a step back during his sophomore year.

Another huge problem has been fundamentals and mental errors. I believe these problems have all been a result of running an NFL style program. Not going full speed in the spring or fall camp. Not going full speed during the season. These are things that the NFL do because once players get to the NFL, they have pretty much figured it out. They are getting paid millions of dollars because they do all the little things well to give them an advantage over the next guy.

The NFL is about X's and O's, college is about player development and finding the drive and motivation in young men who are still growing and learning both as football players and people.

I don't feel going back to the Patriots is going to help with this. He needs to talk to other college coaches, maybe even college coaches who are successful at lower divisions. Maybe even the coach from Appalachian State who found a way for his players to beat a top 5 D1 team.

The NFL is like stock car racing, all the cars (teams) are relatively at the same level (skill). As a result, it comes down to executing a better game plan (X's and O's) that allows them to win races. (I can't believe I just used a Nascar analogy). College is about turning your 1997 Ford Pinto into 2008 Aston Martin DB9 in a matter of 4 or 5 years.

Charlie Weis needs to find a way to motivate young men to play beyond what they ever thought capable, to play as a unified team with one heart beat, to maximize superior athletic ability with his players, and instill a confidence that no matter what day, what field, ND can beat any team that lines up against them on any given Saturday.

I have a suspicion that Weis is a control freak, so I'm just glad he's going back to the one place where he KNOWS they are better than him. Sometimes humility can open a person's mind. At this point, in NE he can be the Indian instead of the chief.

I think your right on there domer, but I think it is probably a trait that is shared by most successful coaches. If your not a control freak, I think that sometimes the inmates start running the asylum (see the U in the 80's) I'm not saying CW is perfect, he has a lot to learn, and he should talk to some successful college coaches too, to get their take on this past season. The collecge game is different, and I'm sure guys like Lou would be willing to help him out.

The biggest step here is that Weis is willing to accept criticism, period. It's a common theme for coaches to consult with NFL coaches in the offseason. People don't realize that the majority of the NFL coaches got where they are by starting in the college ranks. It's not a big deal. It's still player development.

If anything, I hope this season has taught him a bit of humility.

I know people are going to hate us no matter what, but many of the hate directed at us was exasterbated by some of Weis's comments in his first two seasons.

Nothing like a 3-9 season to provide a little humility.

Did I say 3-9? :shock:

Things that Belicheck can teach Weis

1. Be humble and low key. Always be complimentary of your opponent no matter how much you outmatch them on paper.

2. You cant outscheme the other team if your players cant execute. Belicheck has scaled back the playbook many times in the past when his players struggle to follow the gameplan.

3. Step on your opponents necks when you get the chance. It gives you the chance to give your second teamers meaningful reps.

4. Dont be afraid to bring in the best coaches and especially ones with strong personalities. They may not always agree with you, but they give you a different perspective.

I think Charlie is awesome but a little humility could not hurt him. This season will probably make Charlie a better coach believe or not. He seems like the type of guy that learns a lot from adversity.

Football Asskicking 101.

He learned a ton this year.

I believe it could make him a great coach.