Writers for front page

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

Guys: I have been given the authority by Envied one to pass on articles for DD's front. Sort of Editor in Chief. I DO NOT GET PAID FOR THIS, IT IS AN EXTRA DUTY I DO FOR LOVE OF ND AND OUR site DD I would like positive articles, given the gloom and doom on the free boards.

The front has been lagging of late and my duty to bring it around to what is DD standards. You can be part of this by any article. Please send it to me at Yesterdaysnesw42@aol.com In addition I ask those who blog to send material as well

SJ

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallup I'm about to graduate at the end of the year with a degree in Print Journalism. I would, but I wouldn't want to make the commitment because I don't always have the time. As much time as I spend up here you'd assume I would though. haha..

Guest gallup21

mike, you can ignore the statement about time committing, just submit stuff at your leisure. That was just a guideline so we were hoping people would start consistently write, but anythings fair game here. Just make sure it's timely and edited, and we/you can post on the front page

Guest bfabes05

I am with MikejND, im majoring in communications and journalism, but like him ive been so friggin busy its ridiculous, so hopefully during thanksgiving break ill be able to put some stuff up and especially when the semester is over

Guest gallup21
why don't we just create a new main page?

Lots of HTML work...Ryan (old owner) was working on that for a while but couldnt keep up because of school)

I personally would just like to jazz up the front page a little, but we need content in order to do so

Guest SirJohn

COL THANKS Again, with Nick here send us anything you have. It's not like we excpect SI material. As well any bloggers it can help pep you up some. I look forwards to printing you :D

Guest SirJohn

Hmm well, if you guys can send some web page Ideas please do so. Not knocking the front, as It's a Front at long last but does have a sort of washed out look. If you know what I mean. Nicks got an updated article as of November 8. I think a 4 day turnover for a new aticle might be best? Bump the last one down and insert the newer every 4-5 days? But any Ideas are welcome from members.

Guest Colonialhead
I'm a web designer. I'd be more than willing to help if enough people wanted to get something going.

Not to get off topic, but man that's a skill I wish I had. Did you go to school for web design or pick it up on your own?

domeanddomer, it's actually not that difficult to learn. It's really more or less like learning another language, except it's still english. Really, all you're doing is learning how to put a symbol (or series of symbols) before and after every sentence or paragraph etc...

Most of you use a form of web design every day on these very forums. Whenever you post an image in between image tags, or quote somebody, or put something in bold, or italics.... the only difference is that on a message forum, you use "BBCode" and your brackets look like this:

[img= image link here ]

and in html, you use a different kind of bracket:

[img=url of image]

Another place that many of you probably use html code is on your myspace page. If you go in to edit your profile, and look at the spot where you pasted a layout code, you are looking at pure html...

I'm actually self taught. I started about 10 years ago as a poster on various football and hockey message forums like this one. The more I saw people doing things like putting an image in their sig line, or quoting another poster, the more I wanted to learn about how it was done. So I started looking at web tutorials on the subject and teaching myself little by lttle.

I eventually started a web site of my own. Eventually, I perfected it and actually got quite good at web design and graphic design. Next thing you know, my website was thriving, I was getting about 200K hits per month, and the site got linked on SI.com. I eventually got press passes to cover the team the site was dedicated to (Nashville Predators), and that's what I have been doing for the last 3 years.

I will try to throw something together and send it SJ, I have no doubt that we can get a front page together pretty quickly that looks great and that you have full control over.