Navy classes cancelled today to celebrate

Guest Irishjt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirJohn

I Have to say only a few of us in here at DD considered Navy very dangerous or took them serious, I know myself and Irish Rick for two. That's not a boast I just wish it were not so. All I have been reading is about when we enter the "soft" part of our schedule. Navy, Air Force Duke and Stanford.

ND has not done particularly well on the field, the triple option is a thing of beauty and Navy had the desire and incentive to erase 43 years. No one wins forever and we couldn't pull it off for number 44. I stand with Weis on the fact the streak doesn't mean a thing to me. It means something to Navy and it should. To me it was just another loss.

As well if I were Navy and reading Media accounts about "soft" It would get me more fired up then anything. It wasn't the team or coaches talking about soft, it was the fans and Media. I have in my many years of watching football seen way too many under dogs win. Just recently Appellation State. There is no 'gimmie' in football as anything can happen.

Then you have Weis, who says the streak doesnt mean anything.

i think CW was wrong for saying this and if he truely feels that way then i don't know how he can call himself a ND fan. its a total slap in the face to every coach and player who worked hard to keep the streak alive, then you have some jerk come along and lose then say the streak doesn't matter. i lost a lot of respect for CW on saturday.

I Have to say only a few of us in here at DD considered Navy very dangerous or took them serious, I know myself and Irish Rick for two. That's not a boast I just wish it were not so. All I have been reading is about when we enter the "soft" part of our schedule. Navy, Air Force Duke and Stanford.

ND has not done particularly well on the field, the triple option is a thing of beauty and Navy had the desire and incentive to erase 43 years. No one wins forever and we couldn't pull it off for number 44. I stand with Weis on the fact the streak doesn't mean a thing to me. It means something to Navy and it should. To me it was just another loss.

As well if I were Navy and reading Media accounts about "soft" It would get me more fired up then anything. It wasn't the team or coaches talking about soft, it was the fans and Media. I have in my many years of watching football seen way too many under dogs win. Just recently Appellation State. There is no 'gimmie' in football as anything can happen.

With all due respect SJ, when you play as awful as the Irish are playing, EVERYONE is dangerous. I doubt any DD'er here would have considered this game a given before Saturday. Yes, this is supposed to be the "soft" part of our schedule, but that went out of the window several games ago. I wouldn't bet you $5 on ND beating Duke right now. I would consider it even money. The Navy victory surprised no realistic ND fan.

i think CW was wrong for saying this and if he truely feels that way then i don't know how he can call himself a ND fan. its a total slap in the face to every coach and player who worked hard to keep the streak alive, then you have some jerk come along and lose then say the streak doesn't matter. i lost a lot of respect for CW on saturday.

Ditto. Navy deserved better. Just about every one of those guys ND faced on the field are bound for duty in or around Iraq upon graduation. At least one of the young men ND faced three years ago was killed by a sniper in Iraq last year (there are likely more). Some accolades were deserved. Weis's comments were (intended or not) an attempt to minimize the win, and Navy doesn't deserve that. Dangeruss, thanks for having the gonads as a moderator to call it like you saw it.

Guest Irishjt

I too lost alot of respect for CW and really am wondering now if he can take us to elite status.

I too lost alot of respect for CW and really am wondering now if he can take us to elite status.

the thing that worries me the most is i hope CW can put his massive ego aside and learn from his mistakes, more importantly can he take advise from other coaches.

Guest Colonialhead

I think that if we're going to quote Weis, we should at least use the full quote. Charlie said more than just "the streak means nothing"...

The way you represent it, you make it sound like it was flippant or disrespectful.

"The streak doesn't mean anything to me," Irish coach Charlie Weis said when the subject of the 43-game win streak was broached.

"We lost to Navy. That's who we lost to. Next year we'll play Navy again. The only streak in the players' eyes is how many games they've lost in a row at home."

The Irish have lost all five games in Notre Dame Stadium this season -- the longest home losing streak in school history.

"That's what (the players) are worrying about," Weis said. "These kids are 17. Do you think they're worrying about 43 years?"

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071104/SPORTS06/711040424/-1/LOCAL17

What was he supposed to say?

He was asked about "the streak" and he responded to "the streak" question. He didn't take anything away from the talented young men of Navy.

If the reporter would have asked; "what do you think of the team you played today, Charlie would have went on about the talented Midshipmen. He wasn't asked that question.... he responded to the question on the streak.

And yes, it's the right thing to do. His players are at rock bottom right now. I guess he doesn't look at the issue from the vantage point of a rabid fan. Wins and losses and 40 year streaks to Navy aren't really what his players want to hear about... it's not what's important right now.

If anything, Charlie's response is more respectful to Navy. By addressing this 43 year streak that has just been broken and acknowledging the wonderment of it, all we would really be doing is glorifying their 43 year long failure. It would be acknowledging the fact that when the time finally came for Navy to beat ND, it would either mean that Hell hath frozen over, or Notre Dame hit rock bottom. In this case, it would be the latter.

Every media facet in the country is reporting on the new depths that Notre Dame has sunken to. How is that respectful to Navy's accomplishment?

Making a connection between the men and women of the military and their sacrifice, and Charlie's comments is about the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Guest SirJohn

NicePost you misconstrued me. I meant.. EVERYONE but a handful considered these last 4 and Navy the "SOFT SCHEDULE" but a handful of us DD guys. Media included. I realize we were playing poor and Navy had much to gain, everyone else said it was a gimmie win... I don't go for gimmie wins.

I realize we were playing poor and Navy had much to gain, everyone else said it was a gimmie win... I don't go for gimmie wins.

after satudays game their are no more gimmies this year. i guess we should all be thankfull that tommy z. knocked out the UCLA QB otherwise we might have finished the season 0-12.

Guest SirJohn

I can't see how any fan says charlie is arrogant. He wen't and learned the spread cause DJ was at that time the lead. Our O line collapsed DJ was a deer in the headlights and proptly quit a team and coach who went out of their way to change things to suit his...crummy abilities. The kid proptly quit leaving the ship to have to adjust in a week to a still recovering JC. You wanna lay blame? Well It's DJ. The coaches did all they could with the material they had expecting that material to be around. Then the punk has the nerve to attend the second game in streat clothes to say goodbye.

You guys are looking at what went before. This left us to re adust and we could not in just a weeks time. You tell me another team puts all it's change in a QB and he jumps ship and things will roll smoothly. So go blame Weis I don't and majority does not. I did say early on in here at DD, DJ was nothing but a mouth and a ME kid. That hurt us out of the starting gate.

I remember him coming out leading the team (GT Game) jumping, pumping smiling he is the general then BLOWIE downcast on the bench.

We had no Idea we had a quitter.

Anyone see this from Hansen in the Tribune?

# Speaking of history, reference points apparently do change over time. Saturday, when asked about the Navy losing streak being truncated, Weis stopped the questioner before he could complete the thought.

"Time out, time out, time out," Weis said. (The) streak doesn't mean anything to me. I mean, we lost to Navy. That's who we lost to. Next year we will play Navy again. I mean, the only streak is in your eyes. It is really not in the player's eyes.

"These kids are 17. Do you think they're worrying about 43 years? They are worrying about right now. They would like to beat Air Force. I think that's the streak they would like to beat on."

But then flash back to 2005, when Weis was asked the following question in his pre-Navy game press conference:

Along the same lines, this is a game Notre Dame has won 41 straight years. Do you think your players think they don't want to be the team that lets the streak end?

"They better think that way," Weis said. "I think that way, so let's hope they're thinking that way.

Guest Colonialhead
"They better think that way," Weis said. "I think that way, so let's hope they're thinking that way.

You're damn straight....

Right up until you lose, then:

"The streak doesn't mean anything to me. I mean, we lost to Navy. That's who we lost to. Next year we will play Navy again. I mean, the only streak is in your eyes. It is really not in the player's eyes."

Sometimes life means being a hypocrite. Coach speak is coach speak... this isn't news to anybody. Charlie said what he had to say in one situation and then the situation changes and it gets presented a different way. That's what you have to do in life when your role is to manage a large group of subordinates.

The president of the United states does it, every sports coach in America (the good ones anyway) do it, every military leader does it, those of you that have children, you do it too.... on a daily basis.

Coach speak is nothing new. And I'm not going to go looking for the scandal in Charlie's words. I'll leave that for the likes of Hansen. It fits his gloom and doom style.

You're damn straight....

Right up until you lose, then:

"The streak doesn't mean anything to me. I mean, we lost to Navy. That's who we lost to. Next year we will play Navy again. I mean, the only streak is in your eyes. It is really not in the player's eyes."

Sometimes life means being a hypocrite. Coach speak is coach speak... this isn't news to anybody. Charlie said what he had to say in one situation and then the situation changes and it gets presented a different way. That's what you have to do in life when your role is to manage a large group of subordinates.

The president of the United states does it, every sports coach in America (the good ones anyway) do it, every military leader does it, those of you that have children, you do it too.... on a daily basis.

Coach speak is nothing new. And I'm not going to go looking for the scandal in Charlie's words. I'll leave that for the likes of Hansen. It fits his gloom and doom style.

The problem is that "coach speak" as you call it, makes you look like a complete moron when you are at the helm of the laughing stock of college football. Charlie gets NO pass for this game. Eric Hansen has no choice but to write doom and gloom because we couldn't beat ourselves out of a wet paper bag right now. There is no other alternative. I bet Hansen, along with the rest of Irish Nation, is BEGGING for something positive to write about. But you just can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Can you tell my pot has boiled over?

Oh, and yes, this streak means everything. Maybe if the team believed that they would have played harder, executed better, made less mistakes and not come out losing to a vastly inferior team, at home with little to no excuses to fall back on. I repeat, there is no justifiable reason why ND loses to Navy. Losing is NOT acceptable.

I guess i'm a moron cause I don't have a problem with anything CW said, but I understand some fans will. It gets down to a simple "law of averages" to me. It's right out of "Coach Speak 101". I persnally didn't care about the streak. I would have if it was aginst USC, but I respect Navy too much to celebrate that streak.

I guess i'm a moron cause I don't have a problem with anything CW said, but I understand some fans will. It gets down to a simple "law of averages" to me. It's right out of "Coach Speak 101". I persnally didn't care about the streak. I would have if it was aginst USC, but I respect Navy too much to celebrate that streak.

Mirage, I stated similar feelings in another thread. I hated to see the streak end and if it were against another competitor I would have been extremely pissed. The fact that we held this streak against a team and an institution that I totally respect was troubling to me at times. That said, I never want ND to lose. If we would have beaten Navy I would have been overjoyed for the team, the school, and the fans but I would have been compassionate to Navy.

What angers me more then the streak ending, is not the fact that it ended but the way it ended. I just feel there were too many mistakes on the field and from the coaches. It also appeared to me that Navy WANTED it more then we did. We had more talent then this team and while they do have a very difficult offense to defend, we still should have beaten them. I'm sick and tired of seeing lack of intensity on the field. I've heard people say that ND just hasn't gotten the bounces this year. Well, we haven't desrved them. Effort and drive and intensity help to create luck and I don't think we had much of any of those against Navy.

It's too bad the streak is over but at least now I don't have to feel bad for Navy anymore.

Hey...it was windy. Perfect excuse to avoid trying to actually win the game. CW was dead wrong IMHO. Just like he was wrong not to kick it in the first quarter. He chose instead to throw the ball on 4th and 8 counting on an Oline that has given up an ND record 42 sacks. Talk about the law of averages. The no kick was a suprise to me. The sack was not. But hey...better not question the Belichek/Parcells prodigy. BTW...I'm confident that both of them would have kicked the field goal. Why do I rehash? LET IT GO DOMEANDDOMER!

I do care about the streak. I do care that we lost to an inferior team that we NEVER should lose to. I do care that we are going to lose to AF also. I do care about 1-8 THIS YEAR. I do care that there has been no progress through 9 games. I do care....sorry...I just do. Losing to inferior, less talented, 2/3rds the size of us teams is completely unacceptable. Getting blown out....yet again....by USC, well at least they are vastly superior to us. But Navy? On two passed FG opportunities? Nope.

I do care about the streak. I do care that we lost to an inferior team that we NEVER should lose to. I do care that we are going to lose to AF also. I do care about 1-8 THIS YEAR. I do care that there has been no progress through 9 games. I do care....sorry...I just do. Losing to inferior, less talented, 2/3rds the size of us teams is completely unacceptable. Getting blown out....yet again....by USC, well at least they are vastly superior to us. But Navy? On two passed FG opportunities? Nope.

I didn't want to insinuate by my last post that I don't care. I care about everything you mentioned Domer. Of those things, I care least about the streak and I care a lot about the lack of progress. What I care most about is the uninspired play. When you put on that ND jersey you are playing for a lot more people then yourself. While I blame the coaches for their bad judgments and I blame the players for not executing, the ones I blame the most are the 5th year guys for their lack of leadership. Aside from Laws, I think they all stink. Again, I'd be more pissed if the streak was against someone other then Navy and I'm never happy to lose. I don't begrudge anyone else their feelings, I'm just more concerned about the other things you mentioned.