Split Practices

chirodomer

Yeah, I like the idea too. There will be no bowl game this year, so there really no reason not to work on next year. If we had a chance at a bowl game, I'm sure this wouldn't be happening, but the extra month of practices building towards next year should help greatly.

i like it.

maybe someone can correct me if im wrong on this, but i think because ND wont be going to a bowl game they are not allowed to practice once the season is over? where as any team going to a bowl game can practice right up until the bowl game right? so with ND not going to a bowl game this season it makes alot of sence to get practice in for next year now while they can.

Guest NDgirl09

i'm not sure on the practice thing, FNK, but that makes sense. I do agree though, i like this idea. He is practicing all guys with elgibility remaining right? Just the guys absolutely not able to come back next year are showering?

i'm not sure on the practice thing, FNK, but that makes sense. I do agree though, i like this idea. He is practicing all guys with elgibility remaining right? Just the guys absolutely not able to come back next year are showering?

Correct NDgirl, if the player is not going to be there next year, they are dismissed from the 2nd half of practice.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Does everyone remember how Charlie talked at the beginning of the year about not rebuilding and oweing that to the seniors. Now what does this say to them?

I'm pretty sure everyone has a great understanding of what this season has been and the only thing left to play for is pride and the future. Now, a couple of the 5th year guys might play in the NFL. But, I hope those that aren't won't just be cast aside in the next 4 games in favor of building the future. Charlie still owes them enough to finish out their careers on the field.

Now, if Charlie is just doing this last week and this week will be game prep as usual, than I just stuck my foot in my mouth.

Guest irishrick

if iam not mistaken the teams selected for bowl games are allowed only so many sessions per ncaa rules. good quwstion will check withsj he knows that stuff. dosen't seem fair to teams not going . what say you ?? 8)

One positive I hadn't thought about until I read it the other day: since there will be no bowl game, ND can hit the recruiting trail (pending NCAA rules) like mad men in December, while our chief competition for these players are having bowl practices/games.

I was always in favor of making ANY bowl game for the extra practice. I still wish this was the case. However, if Charlie, CB and the rest of the crew can hit the recruiting trail to finish up the '08 class, build relationships w/ some '09 guys, recruit an OL coach, that'd be a good consolation prize.

Guest rocketsan22
. dosen't seem fair to teams not going . what say you ?? 8)

If you've won enough to go Bowling, you've earned the right to rent the shoes an extra month...

Back to the decision to split practices... what can you do when you're 1-7? What else can you call this other than a rebuilding year? When you're having one of the worst seasons in the long history of Notre Dame football, you owe it to your program to do whats best long term.

You could make a case that the upper classmen in a way have brought this early ticket home upon themselves. Trevor Laws has been a man-beast, but our "leaders"? Sullivan chewing out a true freshman QB on the sideline for his botched snap? Travis Thomas going ballistic and drawing a personal foul vs. PSU. Those are captains, and don't think those kinds of examples weren't being observed by the freshman and sophomores on this squad.

Even aside from leadership specifically, outside of Trevor Laws who has gotten better their 5th year here? Stevenson, Carlson, and Brockington plateued, while Zbikowski, Sullivan, Wooden, Price, and Thomas all have seemingly regressed. After 4 years of coaching that next step is pretty much all on you, and its pretty clear they've collectively failed to stack up.

I hear what you're saying SD, and I'm not quite sure I'd handle it the same way Charlie is doing so. But when you're as bad as the Irish are, I can't really fault a coach for trying new things, and I can't say I wouldn't find some fault with some upper classmen myself. I'd be more upset if Charlie kept plugging away with the exact same practice methods.

Guest IrishGlory

The players are well aware that the remaining games on the schedule, while critical to win, are about building for the future and establishing a positive foundation upon which to build. They are on board.

I agree with what your saying Calves and i agree that Charlie is doing what is best for the program now and into the future. I'm just afraid of what kind of message it sends, not only to those guys who have put in 5 years, but to the young guys as well. I certainly think it can build some animosity in the older guys and maybe give the wrong impression to the younger guys. But, if there is a division in the locker room like has been rumored, maybe the young guys couldn't care less about the older guys still getting practice and playing time.

It's true that teams with no bowl game are done at the end of the season while teams that have a game can practice right up until the game.

As for your concerns about the older guys SDIrish, CW is just practicing with all of the younger guys.

He's not telling them that they are going to be playing in any of these games. That is of course for the kids that haven't played already.

None of them will see the field, they are just going to get some first team practice in which is outstanding.

This is obviously something that Charlie hasn't done before. It seems to be a new addition to his learning curve.

I agree with what your saying Calves and i agree that Charlie is doing what is best for the program now and into the future. I'm just afraid of what kind of message it sends, not only to those guys who have put in 5 years, but to the young guys as well. I certainly think it can build some animosity in the older guys and maybe give the wrong impression to the younger guys. But, if there is a division in the locker room like has been rumored, maybe the young guys couldn't care less about the older guys still getting practice and playing time.

This may have been said before but I recall reading an article or hearing it on the TV that John Carlson was asked about younger players getting more playing time the rest of the year. He is the only one so far who said something to the effect that it is important for us seniors in this situation to make sacrifices and that he wasn't bothered at all if his playing time decreased because he realizes the importance of the future of the program. This was in the media, not on a BB. As far as I know, no other 5th year senior has been reported to have agreed with his view. But I thought it was quite remarkable.

Carlson is a freaking winner. The guy has probably gotten the shaft due to the O-line/Qb situation more than anyone else on the team and he still says nothing but the right thing. I have to believe that he is a very large part to this team still fighting to get better.

I found one of the Carlson quotes from the SB Trib:

"There's probably some of those older guys, especially those fifth-year guys, who probably played pretty well, and if they played pretty well, do you sit there and say, 'OK, thanks for your eight games and now you're done?'" Weis said. "I just don't think it's the right way of treating people."

The players, however, especially some of the fifth-year guys, ... understand that some of the future needs to be on display today.

"Knowing that we cannot be bowl eligible now," Carlson said, "the coaches have the responsibility to prepare for the future."

There are too many posts for me to go back through the thread, so this may be redundant; but when I start to feel bad for the 5th years who won't be playing, I have to remind myself that they had 5 years to show their stuff. If they aren't getting it done, now, it isn't like they didn't have the opportunity. Also, I looked at the UF game today and noticed Major Wright starting. What older safety is not getting playing time because Wright took his spot? The best guys play and the older guys have a responsibility to show their best or not be disgruntled when their best, unfortunately, isn't good enough.