Is anyone else a little worried?

Kid Gloves

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the '08 season and beyond in regards to our O-Line. I think that just about everyone agrees that our biggest problem this year has been the O-line's inability to run block, pass protect, and basically show any improvement at all this year. I for one am ecstatic about the fantastic job that CW and staff have done with the recruiting class coming in next year and I think that we have some very nice talent. However, I have to admit that I am a little concerned with the how the O-line is going to be next year. Let's face it, the line this year is atrocious. I wouldn't be as worried if I had seen some gradual improvement in some key areas, but so far I have seen nothing that gives me any hope that these guys have what it takes to become a solid O-line.

I think that our D will be much improved next year and I have no doubt that the D side of the ball is headed in the right direction. I also think that we have a few very talented skill position guys on the O that will be great. But all that said, if we don't get this O-line situation corrected then I think it will all be for nothing because the game is won and lost with the horses up front. I know we have to have faith that the guys will develop and that CW and company will learn from their mistakes, but based off of what I have seen from the coaching staff's ability to develop and coach the O-line this year AND last year I would be lying if I said I didn't have some doubts.

What do you guys think?

It's tough to say b/c I truly believe there will be a new OL coach next season. I have no contacts, have only seen a few rumors, but I gotta believe a change is in order.

As of opening night v. GTech 2006... I expected Sam Young to be approaching All-America status by his junior year. Can a new coach get that out of him so he begins to live up the hype next year? I don't know

I'll assume Wenger and Romine will start... who else? Does Turkovich hang on? Maybe Chris Stewart finally gets a full offseason to really go at it on the OL, maybe he slides in at guard

I think they'll be better.. will they be good enough to take us from maybe an 8-4 season to going into LA undefeated? who knows

I wouldn't be as worried if I had seen some gradual improvement in some key areas, but so far I have seen nothing that gives me any hope that these guys have what it takes to become a solid O-line.

this is also what worries me the most. eight games into the season we should've seen some improvement but there hasn't been any. this late into the season you are who you are and right now ND is a lousy football team that's not improving. next year if ND has the same type of OL and ranked last in every offensive catigory then you can kiss the future of ND football goodbye. because if this happens again you can't blame TW but instead CW and their will be no more top recruiting classes.

the only positive out of this is when Tom Pagna said that he thinks CW has realized the mistakes he's made and he's already trying to fix them. it's too late to get it fixed this year but hopefully going into spring ball and fall camp next year some of the problems might be fixed.

Guest IrishGlory

I can honestly say I am not sure what to expect out of the 08 O line. I expected soooooo much more from the line this season. I thought they would be green and would make mistakes, but I fully expected them to be much more agile, much more aggressive, and have much more intensity than they have shown. The issues I have seen as the year has progressed have not been so much about technique as "want-to" and intensity. Technique can improve from one year to the next, not sure anyone can predict whether intensity and drive will. That is why I am not sure what to expect from the 08 line. I don't even think we will know what to expect during the spring and fall camp. We will not know if we are better until the bullets fly in game 1 next year.

Schools have made MUCH better OL units with less talent than ND has on their OL currently.

Olsen, Stewart and Wenger are all 4 star kids, and Young was a 5 star. A LOT of teams would kill for these kids on their OL, but somehow they find a way to make a much better OL with less talent.

Going into this year a lot of people thought the OL would be a strength of the team, and the total opposite has happened, and most of that blame goes on the current coaching staff. Yea some blame goes into the lack of depth left, and inexperince, but the OL still should not be this bad.

So just pray that Weis has the right guy to take the job, because if he doesnt fix it, it could very well cost him his job.

Just look at FSU, that team has had more talent than ND, but their poor OL play has turned them into a middle of the road team.

next year if ND has the same type of OL and ranked last in every offensive catigory then you can kiss the future of ND football goodbye. because if this happens again you can't blame TW but instead CW and their will be no more top recruiting classes.

Totally agree. We have to show some marked improvement next year or we could be in some real trouble. I just think that the players of a well-coached team start to take on the personality and character of the HC--especially the O-line. I was extremely happy when CW first took over and he said we would have a mean and nasty team, but that has just not materialized thus far.

IMHO, I think that CW needs to do a couple of crucial things to turn this thing around for next year:

1. He needs to start having physical, full-contact practices. This needs to happen in the spring, pre-season, and during the year. These guys need to get toughened up and they will not become tough and nasty practicing in shorts (like they did the week of the SC game).

2. He has to firmly dedicate himself to establishing a solid running game. We will have too much talent at the RB positions to not afford a solid running game. Also, this will take tons of pressure off of JC or DC and will help open up the passing game.

3. He needs to concentrate less on "scheming" with the offense and focus more on simply teaching and developing the talent we have. If each player is being developed so that each can fully reach their own potential then I think everything else will fall into place. Start with the baby steps first!

I know there are many more things of importance as well, but these are just a few that come to mind for me.

1. He needs to start having physical, full-contact practices. This needs to happen in the spring, pre-season, and during the year. These guys need to get toughened up and they will not become tough and nasty practicing in shorts (like they did the week of the SC game).

Not exactly the smartest thing to do when the team lacks depth on the OL. If someone goes down its going to be a young player most likely coming in to fill the spot.

The OL doesnt nearly have the depth for them to take a pounding every week in practice and in the games.

I have no problem with a tough spring, but once the season starts these kids need their downtime.

Football has too many dinosaurs when it comes to football coaches, and if you think having these kids take a beating all the time you are just going to wear down your own team.

Guest AtlantaIrish

Do you guys know what has happened to Bartley Webb? I know he came in highly regarded but I have hardly heard any mention of him.

Does he look like a future starter or just a fill-in when we are blowing out teams in 2009? :D

Totally agree. We have to show some marked improvement next year or we could be in some real trouble. I just think that the players of a well-coached team start to take on the personality and character of the HC--especially the O-line. I was extremely happy when CW first took over and he said we would have a mean and nasty team, but that has just not materialized thus far.

IMHO, I think that CW needs to do a couple of crucial things to turn this thing around for next year:

2. He has to firmly dedicate himself to establishing a solid running game. We will have too much talent at the RB positions to not afford a solid running game. Also, this will take tons of pressure off of JC or DC and will help open up the passing game.

3. He needs to concentrate less on "scheming" with the offense and focus more on simply teaching and developing the talent we have. If each player is being developed so that each can fully reach their own potential then I think everything else will fall into place. Start with the baby steps first!

I know there are many more things of importance as well, but these are just a few that come to mind for me.

I know that #1 and #3 will e addressed, no doubt.

Those have already started.

#2 though is up in the air.

Charlie loves to pass that ball.

Rocket, The medical term for that fat hanging over the pants like that is called "Muffin Top"!!! :shock: :oops: :lol:

LMAO @ muffin top!

His weight and ability to keep it down was a reason his stock dropped last year.

He's got great feet though, very athletic.

If he has the desire, I think he's got a ton of upside.

The dude is a monster!

Did anyone notice how Georgia's Oline played tough w/Florida's front seven? Their physical play won that game with them--Moreno had a nice game rushing and they protected Stafford so he could get the ball downfield to open receivers

Also OSUs OL completely manhandled the PSU defense. With the types of holes they created in that game any one of us could have ran for 5 yards a carry

Yep, I agree, and also throw in the poor play of the vetran OL last year and basically all the blame goes onto the coaches

This is why I started the thread......Let's hope they can make the corrections and the line can improve. I hate to see how things would be if the line continues to perform like this.

Not so sure these kids are as bad an offensive line as some make them out to be or its necessarily the O line coaches fault. We just had a 5 star lineman leave basically because he got demoted. That suggests to me there is talent there. I think the problem has its roots in the offensive scheme. The first few games we ran very few plays where the line just took off after the guys and when they did they looked unsure who to block. I didn't notice them being overpowered as much as lost in the scheme.

Charlie has admitted as much and is making changes. So no I am not worried.