Is Jimmy Clausen our future?

Donjuan

I sit here wondering about Jimmy' health and whether or not he's "damaged goods". From what I hear and see, he's still hurt. I've also read some medical briefs on bone spurs, and they seem to all share a consistant outcome. Not saying for everyone with this condition, but for the majority of patients suffering from this, the spurs grow back. So this would lead to me believe, that there is a chance that JC might have some pain from that elbow for his entire career. I'm not hoping or wishing for that scenario, just have to stay opened-minded. Now obviously, I hope that JC heals and retains that zip we all saw he had. But what happens if he doesn't? Has Crist done his homework too? Maybe he knows the possibilities of this injury and has committed with that in mind? What does everyone here think about this? This is a scary thing for Jimmy and his family, and through all of this, I send him my prayers. He might have to go have another "procedure" in December. Now if this happens, it's kind of the "end all of end alls" as far as pain goes. If it continues past that, then this might be chronic. So might there be more need for another QB labled "dual-threat" or "pro-style"? TP can you hear me???? -Don

Guest IrishGlory

I would be careful about this type of speculation as every case is different. I have no reason to believe Jimmy will need another procedure and I do not believe he is damaged goods. Jimmy will be fine and his future is just as bright as it was on the day he signed with ND. Dayne Crist is a tremendous prospect with a lot of upside, but he is not nearly ready to be a starter. Jimmy (and Evan for that matter) are going to be just fine.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

And I didn't even need to read your post to come to that conclusion

i think we'll know more about JC next year. they say the biggest improvement if from your freshmen to sophmore year. even thought the numbers might not show it i thought brady quinn made a great improvements in his first two years at ND and it'll be interesting to see if JC can do the same.

You guys are all missing the point here. Brady did not suffer with this problem, as is Jimmy. Yes, I can see JC drastically improving from first to second year, that's not the question either. The question is, will JC overcome this elbow problem, and if not, what's ND's next move?? I'm asking a question that involves speculation, but what doesn't? If I say JC will have a great year next year problem free, that is speculation also. I want to think everyone here is open minded on this. -Don

I wonder who the "surprise" is???? Maybe it's Vinny Testeverde? Hey coach, I'm sitting on my couch ready to play! I wouldn't mind getting CG right now either. He's pretty versatile, and we know the game plan changes from week to week! -Don

Guest SirJohn

He has to be. :D

I was amazed at Brady Quinn rebounding time after time in 2006 from sacks. And our 2006 line IMO was just a small bar above this years. Brady was sculpted out of granite it seems and these we have in 2007 are not.

He probably has some tendinitis in the elbow. The problem with injecting it with lidocaine/marcaine and medrol is that it weakens the tendons and can cause a tear or rupture. I'm sure he is on anti-inflammatories and wears a aircast / wrap. I haven't seen kinesiotape on him and that's what a lot of the pro athletes use. Once a spur is removed it takes a long time for it to typically come back. However, the area will remain inflamed and he should just take the rest of the year off and not throw until spring. IMPO

Guest oldNotreDame

Jimmy Clausen definitely is the future of Notre Dame at the quarterback position. Crist should get redshirted next year so that he can play more after Clausen.

The problem with this question, or any like it, is that until the OL pay is improved and solidified, we'll never know. I don't know if JC is gonna be a great college QB, or if AA, RH, JA are going to be great running backs, its hard to say with the OL we've had this year. Until it improves, we'll just have to guess.

Good point, but we did see him throw. I'm not an expert, but I didn't see the zip that I saw from Sharpley. True, he was being chased for his life, but also true; he threw the ball occasionally (or under-threw). We'll never know, like you said Fanatic, if that was more bad OL than it was a weak throw. But to me, it was both. I hope more than anyone that JC heals. He is what we need, I feel. I'm just getting nervous here wondering what his condition is. I will find peace that whatever it is, CW will know what to do about it. On a side note, we need to bring in Luke Harongody! That's a big body who like to throw his weight around. -Don :D

Guest irishrick

well first of all clausen still needs more time to get ready , i see sharpley as the qb for the rest of the season with some mop up coming from jc , crist will be a distant backup for his first year and then he will get his shot at QB, i look for jc to have a productive year in 08. time will tell about these QB. :)