Charlie Weis changes practice routine

dangeruss

Weis is taking a future-is-now approach to the bye week practices -- at least for half of it. The Irish will spend half the time preparing for Navy and its unique option offense, and then midway through, Weis will dismiss players whose eligibility expires after this season.

Essentially, he's turning half of the workout time into an advance spring practice.

"We're going to make sure that we utilize this week to get going on Navy," Weis said. "But I think it's just as important to start developing the team as if (the eligibility-expired) guys were gone, too."

CW is also taking the red jerseys off the QBs and making them live in NDs practice.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/aroundthebend/2007/10/irish-blarney-3.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the development angle Charlie is taking.

On many other boards I have seen tons of criticism regarding Charlie's poor job in developing the youngsters.

People don't seem to understand that the leadership and depth of upperclassmen really isn't there right now.

This will all change soon.

On many other boards I have seen tons of criticism regarding Charlie's poor job in developing the youngsters.

People don't seem to understand that the leadership and depth of upperclassmen really isn't there right now.

yeah, thats great, Charlie is making yet another change on the fly that won't end up working out anyways. Every week we lose and we hear another excuse about how 'its on him' and he'll make the necessary changes....but he never does. We still run the same pathetic offense with the same personnel. So he changed the QB and our starting wideouts, well that worked out just dandy. Another gooseegg in the score column. Maybe he should figure out what composes a competent line and go from there. Yet week after week we see Turkovich and Duncan line up and whiff on blocks.

I'm also sick of the 'leadership' excuse. To quote Dan Hawkins, "THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!" I know we are young and playing alot of young guys, but yeah, I'm seeing very little improvement even from our young guys who are supposedly getting invaluable experience. I do agree that depth in important, but that depth can be young depth just as much as veterans. The last 3 classes have all been Charlie's guys and very few are making the necessary progress in play to make us competitive each week. Our defense is making some strides, but we still usually give up 30+ ppg and our offense is the joke of America.

I really, really hope that we do hold on to every single class of '08 recruit so we can truly see what Charlie can do with 'his guys'. Because the jury is still very much out and he has to start developing his players, his guys, before we can consider him anything close to a guru. Very frusterating.

Guest irishrick

i think that charlie is doing the right thing, and i applaud him , as for the red shirts , this is football not paddy cake. :D go full speed til the whistle stops if someone gets hurt put in a sub . go irish As for Navy i think that the way navy plays the option were going to be in for a long day as the defense needs a breather, and our offense is still in slo-go mode. go irish :) :)

yeah, thats great, Charlie is making yet another change on the fly that won't end up working out anyways. Every week we lose and we hear another excuse about how 'its on him' and he'll make the necessary changes....but he never does. We still run the same pathetic offense with the same personnel. So he changed the QB and our starting wideouts, well that worked out just dandy. Another gooseegg in the score column. Maybe he should figure out what composes a competent line and go from there. Yet week after week we see Turkovich and Duncan line up and whiff on blocks.

I'm also sick of the 'leadership' excuse. To quote Dan Hawkins, "THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!" I know we are young and playing alot of young guys, but yeah, I'm seeing very little improvement even from our young guys who are supposedly getting invaluable experience. I do agree that depth in important, but that depth can be young depth just as much as veterans. The last 3 classes have all been Charlie's guys and very few are making the necessary progress in play to make us competitive each week. Our defense is making some strides, but we still usually give up 30+ ppg and our offense is the joke of America.

I really, really hope that we do hold on to every single class of '08 recruit so we can truly see what Charlie can do with 'his guys'. Because the jury is still very much out and he has to start developing his players, his guys, before we can consider him anything close to a guru. Very frusterating.

For what it's worth, Charlie only has two classes at ND.

The third class is still in high school.

I think it is great that Lil Tuna is changing things up. If you throw enough mud against the wall eventually something will stick. Beats same old stuff different day. Smartestmove he has made. Also, the recruiting has been great this year. Pray for more mean and aggravated, unfed, hungry O-linemen!

Not that I'm trying to be argumentative or claim that I know anything about football. But what exactly would you like him to do? Obviously staying stagnant isn't working, so he is trying to make changes to help better develop players. How is he to know if the changes he makes will have a negative or positive effect? Its not like there's some secret coaching book that has all the answers on how to make a great team.

There is only so much you can do with the time you are alotted. Is it too late for this season? Damn straight. But, rather than wait until spring practice to make changes, he's doing it now. Which I think is a good move. He will probably ruffle some feathers of the older guys and if you thought there was no leaders in that group now, wait until Charlie starts playing younger players over them.

The one thing that I would strongly disagree with would be if he started playing freshmen that haven't seen the field so far. I think it would be dumb to burn a year of eligabily in the last four games of their freshmen year. If they haven't played so far, save the year.

Guest Irishrider

Weis has come out publically and said that if a frosh hasnt played yet this season he is not going to play.

For me, I could care less what Weis does for the rest of the season as long as he focuses on teaching technique and fundamentals to the younger players. The season is a lost and these last games should be a focus on developing the players who will contribute in years to come.

I say keep Travis Thomas off the field, let the younger safeties play Zibby's spot for some time in the game, and let John Sullivan cheer lead.

Guest SirJohn

Nice eskimo cause I was wondering myself. That's 7 of I think 19 that could be eligible for a 5th year. Figure similar to this incoming 21 toatl class to date.

According to the Trib 25 freshman and sophomores played last week. I look at it this way, Weis is a very strong personality and he's gotten where he has in life because of that. He's by anyone's standards been a very successful coach in the NFL. He learned his craft from Parcells and Belechick also 2 strong personalities. He came to ND convinced that he could install these same practices he learned under them and could out recruit and out coach his adversaries. He's come to realize this is a different game and that he is dealing with much younger players and players as a group that lack experience or have a talent gap as they are still growing and developing. It's become painfully aware to him that he has to rethink his approach to the college game. He has to prepare kids differently. He's certainly not the first NFL coach to learn this lesson and in reverse think about how many college coaches who couldn't adapt to the pro game. Holtz comes to mind as well as Spurrier.

I think the problem is and was that there was nobody strong enough at ND to convey this message. Having said that there is a lot to be said for on the job training, but remember Charlie had no mentor here. For these reasons I cut him a lot of slack as he has shown the most important quality a coach can have that is to adapt to his circumstances. I would be shocked not to see a lot of success in the next two years. Its a time for patience and not finger pointing, he already is his own worst critic.

(did I get enough cliches in there?) :lol:

The following is a quote from the South Bend Tribune:

Weis said if he does not play them against Navy, that's the cutoff point in his mind for using them this year. They would then have a year of eligibility preserved and be candidates to exercise a fifth-year option down the road. The six who have not played are offensive linemen Taylor Dever and Andrew Nuss, safety Harrison Smith, defensive lineman Emeka Nwankwo and inside linebackers Steve Paskorz and Aaron Nagel.

Answers most of our questions.

According to the Trib 25 freshman and sophomores played last week. I look at it this way, Weis is a very strong personality and he's gotten where he has in life because of that. He's by anyone's standards been a very successful coach in the NFL. He learned his craft from Parcells and Belechick also 2 strong personalities. He came to ND convinced that he could install these same practices he learned under them and could out recruit and out coach his adversaries. He's come to realize this is a different game and that he is dealing with much younger players and players as a group that lack experience or have a talent gap as they are still growing and developing. It's become painfully aware to him that he has to rethink his approach to the college game. He has to prepare kids differently. He's certainly not the first NFL coach to learn this lesson and in reverse think about how many college coaches who couldn't adapt to the pro game. Holtz comes to mind as well as Spurrier.

I think the problem is and was that there was nobody strong enough at ND to convey this message. Having said that there is a lot to be said for on the job training, but remember Charlie had no mentor here. For these reasons I cut him a lot of slack as he has shown the most important quality a coach can have that is to adapt to his circumstances. I would be shocked not to see a lot of success in the next two years. Its a time for patience and not finger pointing, he already is his own worst critic.

(did I get enough cliches in there?) :lol:

Great Post. I completely agree. :clap: :clap:

Weis said if he does not play them against Navy, that's the cutoff point in his mind for using them this year. They would then have a year of eligibility preserved and be candidates to exercise a fifth-year option down the road. The six who have not played are offensive linemen Taylor Dever and Andrew Nuss, safety Harrison Smith, defensive lineman Emeka Nwankwo and inside linebackers Steve Paskorz and Aaron Nagel.

liars.. Gary Gray hasn't played (unless I really missed somethin)

Guest DCIrish

IMO, Gary Gray is like getting another recruit next year since he did not play. I think he will be a VERY good player for us. It's easy to forget about him, but I cannot wait to get him in the rotation next Spring..

liars.. Gary Gray hasn't played (unless I really missed somethin)

Sorry, it did specifically mention GG in the same article, just not in the section I posted.

I think it's great that Paskorz and Nagel haven't played.

Save them for down the road Charlei.

I'm also a big fan of Harrison.

I love his size combined with his speed.

That's one fast white boy! :)

He seems to have a nose for the ball and I can't wait to see him on Saturdays.

Unfortunately, he may have to wait until Bruton is done at ND before he sees any significant playtime.