Weis Coaching Practices --> seeds of woe??

1qa

Been reading a set of interesting threads on another domer site - http://www.notredamefans.com - that has some additional insight, presumably insiders with connections to ND past and present.

Basic thesis.... Weis was warned that non-physical practices, and lack of focus on fundamentals - blocking & tackling - will particularly hurt ND this year as it is such a young team. Warning has come from the likes of Tom Pagna and others. THe other assertion is that Pagna is essentially a proxy for Ara in terms of coaching philosophy, and that Weis dismissed this advice out of hand.

http://www.notredamefans.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=16573

http://www.notredamefans.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=16533

http://www.notredamefans.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=16564

So, by the time, the team got to physical practices... it was simply too late to salvage the season.

Throw in a paucity of player leadership, especially on O... and a lack of inspired motivation by Weis or other coaches (save Corwin)... the unit has underperformed.

Anyone hear differently?

Anyway, I hope Charlie has made sufficient "half-time" coaching adjustments, and we're looking forward to a solid season next year.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirJohn

I am not a fan of Pagna. Washed up old timer in my opinion who has not kept up with the latest. Und.com is a good site. I was a member and Mod briefly, when I posted that more or less they have to print some of the 'negative' not all this praise, praise, praise.' Then ahahahah :lol: I promptly got kicked out by Bob Drake. No problem, you do your thing I do mine. I can't over look there is a dead toad in my soup. :lol:

May very well have happened, but I would guess that CW has learned from whatever mistakes he has made and will correct them in the future. We all have to remember that CW is learning how to be a head coach on the fly and he is bound to make mistakes along the way.

I'm not making excuses for CW, but its true. Every mistake he makes is shown on national TV. CW didn't have the advantage of being an assistant coach at the college level or head coach at a lower tier DI school or DII school like alot of "big time" head coaches, he gets to learn in front of all of us.

It's funny, because every time a cheapskate like me tried looking at whatever free practice videos they offered up in the preseason, the team was doing basic fundamental drills.

I was so jazzed up pre-season to see how the team was progressing and all I saw was D. Jones leading the backs through cone drills.

I suspect a lot of people will start pointing now saying "told you so". What's important to me is we're are 1-7 and are still killing it on the recruiting trail and I'm getting jazzed for next year already.

yeah, i'm pretty stoked on the developing and incoming talent... so, i'm looking forward to seeing a game we win (as opposed to a game the other team loses).

As for fundamentals... I think it was in reference to 1-on-1 tackling / blcoking... as opposed to dummies and cones.

As for learning on the job... I wish I was paid $$$Millions$$$ for learning on the job.

I don't like pagna at all. I read one site he used to contribute to and the guy just sounded like a bitter old man who wished he was still out there doing it his way. If he knows so much, why isn't he still in the coaching fraternity that runs rampant in college and the NFL. The absolute worst coaches are still out there somewhere because one of their boys picked them up. Pagna is like the economics teacher, if the econ teacher knows so much about money, why isn't he a billionaire?

yeah, i'm pretty stoked on the developing and incoming talent... so, i'm looking forward to seeing a game we win (as opposed to a game the other team loses).

As for fundamentals... I think it was in reference to 1-on-1 tackling / blcoking... as opposed to dummies and cones.

As for learning on the job... I wish I was paid $$$Millions$$$ for learning on the job.

Weis needs to make adjustments from the pros plain and simple we were spoiled our first two years (BCS appearances). Weis has shown time and time again he can adapt I'm sure he will make a lot of adjustments next summer. Lets hope there the right ones.

The South Bend Tribune was quoting him from his press conf, which can be listen to. He also said this earlier in the year when he made the change to his practice. Pagna was just repeating what Weis said earlier this year, so nothing new really other then someone complaining.

one thing i think CW should do is talk to lou holtz about coaching OL. when lou was the coach ND always had a tough, physical OL that just beat you down and a lot of that was because of joe moore. i think CW would be wise to pick lou's brain about this. this isn't the NFL anymore when players come in already knowing the fundementals, college kids need a lot more coaching then they do in the pros.

i also have one more thing to add. LET JOHN LATINA DO HIS JOB! you hire one of the best OL coaches in the country and you don't let him do his job. it's obvious CW doesn't know how to coach OL players so why don't you let someone do it who knows what their doing.

i also have one more thing to add. LET JOHN LATINA DO HIS JOB! you hire one of the best OL coaches in the country and you don't let him do his job.

Russ, no disrespect, but how long do we give Latina to do his job, because he hasn't started yet. The OL has not been good since he's been here, and they get progressively worse every year. There is only one legitimet reason that our rushing yds per game is half of what Duke's is, yeah they're #118. You will never convince me that we don't have the talent to run block, yet we can't and don't seen to have a clue how to get 3rd and 1.

If you remember when Latina was at Ole Miss was the same time Eli Manning was down there, and they really couldn't run there either. In my opinion we need to get Andy Heck or Aaron Taylor to coach our OL.

Guest Irishrider

New to this site but I have been checking it out for a while. Cool site. I like your guy's style a lot

I too got kicked off of that same message board Sir John. I was sick of them telling me (an ND grad) what ND is all about so I gave them a piece of my mind. ND is a special place for a lot of people, just dont tell me what it means to me or anyone else.

Anyway I think the lack of hitting in practive might have contributed to some of the problems, but also the lack of athletic jrs. and srs. and the need for the young guys to hit the weight room. We dont really know. But I do know that ever since Weis has come in we have had very few serious injuries.

Russ, no disrespect, but how long do we give Latina to do his job, because he hasn't started yet. The OL has not been good since he's been here, and they get progressively worse every year.

i agree that the OL hasn't been good since he's been here but i think we give him one more year. after reading all this i think that CW's ego has gotten the best of him here. i got the impression that CW is a control freak and hasn't allowed JL a real shot at coaching the OL his way. i think CW now changes his way and JL will have the rest of the year, spring ball and fall camp to turn things around.

this isn't the NFL anymore when players come in already knowing the fundementals, college kids need a lot more coaching then they do in the pros.

i like this quote. these players coming from high school still have a good amount of football to be learned. these players could dominate in HS but theyre playing against better talent at the college level and any weeknesses they have that they could get away with in HS arng going to always work in college. i think thats what im thinking :?

Weis isnt letting Latina coach the OL? is Weis coaching them himself? or giving specific instructions to Latina in how to coach them? wouldnt this become known and the public finds out? if Weis himself is coaching the OL with all the problems they have been having wouldnt Weis be smart enough to step back and let Latina try something different?

why would Weis not be hitting hard in practice? does he figure by not hitting hard hes saving them from any injuries that could happen during practice? but then isnt that leaving the players more vulnurable for injuries when they get hit hard in games? ive never watched practices in college or in the NFL but i assume the better teams hit hard in practice. wouldnt the Patriots have been hitting hard in practice when Weis was there?

i feel stupid today :?

Guest SirJohn

Welcome to DD Irishrider :D I do believe lessons learned by Weis will help. The lack of hitting, IMHO I don't know. The boys are banged up enough as it is and The big Ten and USC are in as bad shape.

We are sort of layed back but do have restrictions on 4 letter words.

It's really funny we had the same thing at same other site. Heck I am a Mod at two other sites and thought I could bring an opinion to that site as I was a Mod. One other kick off said they were nazi's. :D I am not attacking any site, God forbid. I simply posted I could not keep praising some dumb butt and toe the kool Aid line when I knew it was otherwise.

Free information flow.

Just as Ryan did here warn me as Mod I couldn't use a four letter word even with asteriks and I will obey site boss. But if an ND guy is a jerk say so.

Hey Fan -

I think some of the controversy swirls around whether ineffective OL coaching is because Latina can't coach, or whether Charlie overrules his coaching approach and schedule.

Personally, i would hope that if our OL failures are because Charlie overscripts/micromanages the practice timetable, that the line coach would stand-up and clearly state the expected consequence of Charlie's decree.

The guy is paid well enough to make those calls. If Charlie has been told, and wasn't listening... well, that's a different issue.

Guest Irishrider

Thanks Sir John. I dont think I ever used 4 letter word on that site or any other site. I am not disrespectful person, but I did find that they were somewhat stiff and disrespectful if you did not agree with their every word.