Jonas Gray RB

Guest Irishjt

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall... Jonas was quite high on the Irish... coming out of Detroit Country Day.

I guess what his offer means is that we're not sitting comfortably with the remaining RBs we have on the list... including Cyrus Gray and Ryan Williams.

I have written this is in previous "Jonas Gray" threads. A close business friend of mine, another ND alum, has a daughter in the same class as Jonas at Detroit Country Day. He says, basically, all Jonas has ever wanted is an ND offer. My friend knows Jonas' father and that is supported by him. Jonas is the real deal, he is extremely fast, think he was 3rd in the state in the 100 as a junior. He is also, apparently, he very nice, respectful and in the words of my firend, almost a quiet kid. Evidently, he was crushed by not receiving an ND offer, though not a legacy, he along with Will Compton, are 2 guys that I think may be the "Brian Smith" of this next class, kids we didnt focus on early who not only ended up Irish and we just pinch ourselveswith our dumb luck that we got them! :D

Oh yeah, buddy has a condo at ND and was at game (obviously), buddy had a get together after the game and Jonas was on campus and also planning at coming to hang out at condo, daughter/classmate there as well,but ND recruiters were with him the whole time and Jonas was never able to get over to his place.

Guest NDgrandson
Oh yeah, buddy has a condo at ND and was at game (obviously), buddy had a get together after the game and Jonas was on campus and also planning at coming to hang out at condo, daughter/classmate there as well,but ND recruiters were with him the whole time and Jonas was never able to get over to his place.

Thanks for the scoop Irish Crazy. I hope we get him at least as much as I hope we get Williams or Cyrus.

Russ or Irish calves I would love to hear your opinion on Jonas. Is he worth the offer or is it a stretch? Thanks.

he is worth the offer IMO. he brings a lot to the table, not only is he fast he's got good hands and he's got a lot of power also. i would take JG in a heart beat.

Irish Crazy - agreed, thanks for the scoop. I grew up in that area and played against DCDS several times. I was puzzled by the lack of early interest in this kid not only by ND but by UM. Apparently something happened between him and UM that turned him off, and even though he later got offer from UM, he verballed to Nebraska.

My thought was a combination of at the time ND may have liked other backs better like Carlton Thomas. Also, I think it came out late what kind of speed Gray has. I'm going off memory, but I am quite sure in his initial profiles on Rivals / Scout he had something like a 4.59 listed as his 40 time, and we even had discussions here about whether he was another version of DW without breakaway speed. But I believe he attended a camp this summer (in similar fashion to Harrison Smith) and showed his speed there. Then his stock soared, but we were deep into other backs, he soured on UM and verballed to NU.

I also recall reading how he badly wanted an ND offer - Crazy you may have posted something to that effect earlier. Hopefully we can get back into the game with him, especially if we're losing ground with others. We need to take 1 RB this year.

Jonas was extremely high on ND. Probably would have committed immediately if he received an offer early in the process. With an ND offer now in hand, there is no doubt in my mind that he ends up as part of our 2008 class. Besides, everybody at Nebraska is looking around. We could end up landing 3 of their commits, T. Robinson, Compton and Jonas. Although, I don't see a need for the 5th LB with Compton.

Jonas may have been timed at 4.35 but I don't see that kind of speed on his film. Clarification, I like Jonas and would love to land him but I don't see his film showing 4.35 speed. That is blazing.