Carufel Comments

Guest NDLawJAG

Guest NDLawJAG

Heres what he said to the Star Tribune:

Matt Carufel, the former Cretin-Derham Hall standout offensive lineman who has left Notre Dame, was a spectator at Gophers football practice Wednesday and said he is interested in Minnesota, but might visit Iowa, too. He would have to sit out a year if he transferred.

Asked about Litchfield (Minn.) tight end John Carlson, who is a senior All-America candidate at Notre Dame, Carufel said: "How can he be doing anything the way things are going?" He said defensive end Trevor Laws, an Apple Valley graduate, is one of the Irish starters.

Speaking about the Irish's 1-6 record, Carufel said, "There are more reasons why Notre Dame isn't winning than why they should," but he declined to elaborate further.

There is one good reason for the Gophers' 1-6 record. A year ago, the Gophers were a plus-18 in turnovers for the season. This year, with five games to play, the Gophers are minus-15.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked about Litchfield (Minn.) tight end John Carlson, who is a senior All-America candidate at Notre Dame, Carufel said: "How can he be doing anything the way things are going?" He said defensive end Trevor Laws, an Apple Valley graduate, is one of the Irish starters.

maybe im just dumb but i don't understand whats being said here, can someone explain this better? what does it mean when Carufel said "How can he be doing anything the way things are going?" what does that statement even mean?

maybe im just dumb but i don't understand whats being said here, can someone explain this better? what does it mean when Carufel said "How can he be doing anything the way things are going?" what does that statement even mean?

Russ, after reading it, I got the impression he is refering to number of catches/TD being down theis year for Carlson because he has to block all the time.

I got the same impression FANATIC. Seems like a shot at his ex-lineman for not protecting well enough to open him up in the passing game.

This whole story is really starting to sicken me.

I know a lot of this may sound wishy-washy to the hardcore "realists" out there, but I can't go anywhere else than to where my beliefs lie.

When I look at the pro game, I expect premadonas, agent-club negotiations turned ugly, players demanding to get paid, and the seemingly inevitable war of words that plays out in the chase for the mighty dollar. I don't like it one bit, and I hate how the NFL seems to cater to the drama of players facing off against former teams when ugly "breakups" ensue, but I expect that. Whenever the almighty dollar gets involved, things change, and I get that.

But when it comes to college football, I don't expect this kind of turmoil to play out in headline warfare... though by now I guess I do. I'm not so naiive to think that egos don't exist in college, and that players and coaches alike don't have ruffled feathers, but I did expect players and universities to uphold themselves with class.

At one time, there was an innocence to the sport of college football, and that time I'm fearing more and more has passed us by. It is merely an expectation of mine to see ugly gossip once a player decides a school is not right for him. That is why I was so pleasantly surprised to see the way Zach Frazer handled his transfer. And here I am today, reminded of how "reality" works today, where self-interested bickering is commonplace.

What does Matt have to gain by bashing his former university? "I told you so?" Nothing. There is nothing to be gained by burning the bridge to your former school, none whatsoever. He's not going to get back the year of his life that he probably feels was wasted. Nor will he regain the embarrassment he must feel for making the wrong collegiate choice. And after seeing his handling of his departure, he certainly won't regain his sense of pride any time soon.

I really don't know what Matt thinks he's accomplishing by airing out his dirty laundry, but I could tell him now to save his time; stop talking like your opinions are of mana, try looking in the mirror for a minute, and in the mean time focus on what the next step in life will be, not the last one you took.

Guest irishrick

sounds like he is just angry with cw, why was carlsens brought into it . maybe the kid is upset because charlie was up front and honest. i hope he catches on with whom ever. good bye. :D

OK none of us like the fact that he left ND but I still say this comment points to a cancer on the team that is not discussed publicly. Maybe it was a cheap shot and if it was I could care less and we don't even need a thread on this. But with the transfers from the offense, the rumors of factions, Sully throwing plays etc. Where there is smoke like this I'm afraid there is some fire and we only know a small part of what's going on with this team

*pushes panic button*

id really like to see him go to another school, to get on their football team and become a starter, preferably a team that ND plays next year.. because then the ND defence can put him on his ass time after time after time! id love to see whatever team he goes to play at Notre Dame so he can get the booing he deserves! it would be wonderful to see him get his helmet shoved/rubbed around in the ND dirt, eat some grass you :censored:

OK none of us like the fact that he left ND but I still say this comment points to a cancer on the team that is not discussed publicly. Maybe it was a cheap shot and if it was I could care less and we don't even need a thread on this. But with the transfers from the offense, the rumors of factions, Sully throwing plays etc. Where there is smoke like this I'm afraid there is some fire and we only know a small part of what's going on with this team

*pushes panic button*

:shock: I'm very leery of conspiracy theories: I have a hard time believing there are any "factions" working within Notre Dame's football team sabotaging their season. First of all why? In Sully's case it’s his pro career down the toilet. For all other players you play to win period. When they lose they bring more criticism of their coach their school and mostly themselves.

This type of frustration is stemming from the losing and the players' perception that the coaches aren't doing anything about it. I also believe that there is a fire behind the scenes and I am honestly shocked that it hasn't come out. Besides, if one of us were a "star" player and we knew that we were honestly better than the guy starting then we would be pissed too. Although, I question whether any ND player could start for a top 10 team at this point.

Guest jl72002
... the rumors of factions, Sully throwing plays etc....

*pushes panic button*

I have read on here about that rumor, but come on...Does anyone on here really believe that a senior about to go on to (most likely) the NFL would purposely throw plays. He is a senior with a decent shot of getting picked up somewhere at the next level, why would he damage his chances of that. We/the players understand that NFL teams scout players based on talent and if he was throwing plays it would get noticed. Not attacking anyone here. Just a thought.

I have a feeling it's something like this.

Star big-headed big man on campus in High School comes to Notre Dame and is not necessarily the coaches pet. Is a little fish in a big pond instead of a big fish in a little pond. Suddenly "real" coaching starts to happen when a coach tells you you ain't really that good and you will have to work for playing time. Things do not come easily anymore. You HAVE to work, you HAVE to wait and you are not guarenteed anything anymore.

Double all that with alittle home sickness, having to study for a REAL education and REAL grades and you have people and things like the Careful situation (DJones etc.).

Thanks God these are the rare cases as you have many more "Notre Dame men" such as Evan, JC etc. willing to do the work needed and waiting for "their" time knowing it's all for the future betterment for THEM. I have let it go and do not think about these selfish quitters anymore. I think about MY team only, the rest can go screw themselves.

JMHO!!

I'm interested to see how this off season plays out. If JC isn't starting by season end then do you guys think he will stay? He came here to be groomed to be a star in the NFL. So far he has been sacked 4 million times and beaten like a red headed step child. It will be great for Crist if JC leaves but there won't be any Seniors sitting around the dorm next year. Then what? I know, the best guy plays. I guess we will have AA as a 3rd string next year? We'll see. i'm just saying. This is sadly becoming a possibility.

I'm interested to see how this off season plays out. If JC isn't starting by season end then do you guys think he will stay? He came here to be groomed to be a star in the NFL. So far he has been sacked 4 million times and beaten like a red headed step child. It will be great for Crist if JC leaves but there won't be any Seniors sitting around the dorm next year. Then what? I know, the best guy plays. I guess we will have AA as a 3rd string next year? We'll see. i'm just saying. This is sadly becoming a possibility.

I like to refer those thoughts to Brady's first year, he got pummeled all year and YES, I believe it made him a better QB.

I will only worry about this situation Chiro if Evan looks like Brady this weekend. Then yes, Jimmy's got a problem. Not our problem though. My feeling is that Evan will play admirably and Jimmy will be fine. JMO! :D