Offensive Line woes & Leadership?

1qa

Sorry if I'm double posting this.. but I didn't see it on this board. Interesting Op-Ed on the OL & Leadership...

http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/media/storage/paper660/news/2007/10/12/IrishInsider/Football.Commentary.Sullivan.Needs.To.Be.Offenses.Leader-3029672.shtml

If true, I wonder if some of the QB controversey is stoked by poor chemistry between 78 & 7... disappointing if it is.

I also wonder where Latina & Weis are on this issue behind closed doors.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how Weis can call Sully, at the beginning of the season or in fall camp, the heart and soul of the offense.

I mean... really... if Sully has that tempermental personality... that's not the leadership or soul I want for the team.

IF 78 is a necessity given the situation... I'd be working really hard, really fast to get Wenger or Bemendorfer up to speed. And, I'd be telling advertising Sully as the anchor and leader the team needs... and COACHING Sully on leadership... building trust, team frist.. blah blah blah... maybe it's happening, but is falling on deaf ears... I'd be upfront and also tell people with this attitude that he's working on a 13 game resume for the NFL, and these leadership/teaming skills count highly, especially on an OL.

I'm glad someone wrote that in the Observer. I hope Sully read it and is embarassed. He has easily been the most disappointing player on the team for me. Leadership is about taking responsibility, not casting blame and Sully is no leader. I never thougth I would say this at the beginning of the year but I think the team will be better off without him and his disruption to the QB development and the line.

Filler article. All opinion no meat. Sully might be the anti-christ or he might be the football version of Mother Theresa. After reading this article I still couldn't tell you. And yelling at a player on the sidelines is public? Coaches do it all of the time. Unless you know the content of the communication how can you make a comment on it? I'll take the rumors on this board over any speculation by a sports writer any day............................NEXT topic!

Fine Ace. Lets just take the article for granted. I still say Sully has been the most disappointing player on the team. He should be setting the example. Yelling at a Freshman QB after a play where you miss a snap is bad regardless of what message he was delivering. Lead by example. Sully has not done that at all this year.

Guest SirJohn

I am not sure what to make of this thread.It is team chemestry. But then While you would want all to be liking each other it may or may not happen. If I was a tackle my job is to protect the QB no matter what my inner feelings of him are. He could be a rag headed muslim but my job is to protect him. If you don't like Bush still the Secret Service job is to protect.

That being said I am concerned with some of the words being tossed around. Like Sully is a jerk. I heard from a source DJ's in camp people felt Zach was a D bag. I never mentioned that cause i was a Zach backer then. Seems devisive somewhat. Even Brady last year said Weis cqan be a Jerk at times. Let's get back to we are a team no matter who.

Guest mpstunner11

No one has to get me started on Sullivn. It would be a lot different if he actually was any good. But he sucks and his personality sucks. I think Weis grudgingly made him a captain late in the summer because he felt like someone had to lead the OL. So glad this is his last year.

SJ, I think your post exposes the underlying problem with the offense. Someone needs to step-up and take charge. You are absolutely correct, they don't need to like each other, but each one of them needs to do their job, regardless of feelings. Normally, on offense, the QB is the leader, both in the huddle and in the locker room - we do not have that luxury yet. So in my opinion, one of the OL, except maybe Sullivan because he seems to be a devisive personality, needs to stp-up and start cracking some skulls - both literally and physically, and start unifying this offense. Whoever it is needs to play harder and practice harder than anyone else out there, yet at the same time needs to be a intermediary for all the different personalities on the offense. Everybody doesn't need to like everybody, but everybody needs to like and respect one person - the leader, whoever steps up and takes that role.

Guest SirJohn

Thank you Fanatic. I do feel it was a mistake for the coaches to 'appoint' captains from the old days, but then we do have a young team. Leaders like cream rise to the top. That being said once again the rule is protect whoever is QB and the runner etc. once the lights go on. Which was why the best anology I could give was the Secret Service.

I'm sure there were teamates that knew Reggie Bush was getting unfair incentives at USC, blah, blah but they went out and did their jobs blocking for him to make him be a star for the team.

So for whoever if your an O Linemen You have not been doing your job and need to step up. I recall a similar situation waaaay back. With Johnny Unitas and their coach yelling at the O "Do you want Unitas blood on your hands?" That picture I saw of JC with 4 guys smashing him made me sick.

What's interesting here... is that we're not talking about coaching "technique" inadequacies... it's leadership.

I think, in the absence of player leadership, the Coaches have to provide that leadership, and groom those who have that potential...

If people are NOT doing their job... the Coaches have to bench, no matter how painful to play that may be. Coaches set the tone, players should be in enforcing it.

1qa, I've played alot of team sports for alot of years, and I never once played for the coach. You play for the guys in the locker room. You play for the guys that went through 3-a-days, yes 3-a-days in July and August with you, the two other guys you pushed the 7-man sled with. You play for the guy you pick up off the ground and the one that picks you up, even the ones you fight in practice with.

The coaches decide on personnel packeages that are playing, but they are rarely the reason teams play hard. The team should be playing for the each other.

1qa, I've played alot of team sports for alot of years, and I never once played for the coach. You play for the guys in the locker room. You play for the guys that went through 3-a-days, yes 3-a-days in July and August with you, the two other guys you pushed the 7-man sled with. You play for the guy you pick up off the ground and the one that picks you up, even the ones you fight in practice with.

The coaches decide on personnel packeages that are playing, but they are rarely the reason teams play hard. The team should be playing for the each other.

Or, God forbid, a sense of pride.

Guest irishrick

SJ and fan , good comments this is why its called a team sport, seems to me that the line coach or head coach should have had a few chats with the fellas. , Hey Lou give em a pep talk . go irish notre dame is family no matter what, so lets play for the lady. nuf said go irish team game . beast SC. :D