Sharpley to start

mightyeskimo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have you got to lose by starting Evan? Nothing. Clausen's "growth" will be stunted just because he doesn't start this or the remaining games. From my observation Evan just plays better then him right now. Does he guarantee them a win? Absolutely not, but he does give them a better chance.

ND will have to play mistake free on offense. No stupid penalties. Key in on the run and force Juicebox Booty or the Dirty Sanches to throw the ball. In years past their air attack scared me, not so much anymore. They can be beat. ND just has to play a great game.

Guest SirJohn

by the way eskimo thanks for the first to post who starts.. :clap: :clap:

I have to agree with the JC, upper body strength in a game vs practices. I have seen reports JC looks 'skinny' and if you compare his arms to say Brady or Crist it is an eye opener. Granted Brady was a Phenom. But when a Senior in HS has more arm then a college starter that too is telling a tail. Another year under Reuban is needed.

John lets hope he does it though. Sometimes kids don't understand how much weightlifting can impact there overall play. It has to be something he want's to do.

Show Jimmy the blooper reel of all the hits Brady took over the years, then show him how many times Brady ever missed playing time because of injury.

You can be as "tough" as you want, but being bigger and stronger allows your body to take more of a beating before it effects your play.

Guest SirJohn

They have talked about JC's psyche taking a beating as well. This is very hard to overcome and I don't make light of it. I recall the Dallas Cowboys.

They had Craig Morton, highly touted, who was pretty darn good just they were not winning.

Dallas picked up a guy called Rodger Staubach. Craig did everything he could to keep his starting job and win. He even had himself hypnotised to see the field and avoid the rush. The coach just noticed when Stabach was in the huddle the team ran better. Of course that's ancient history but those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

This is not a slam on JC and Sharpley is surely not a Staubach. Just these are issues that do come up and are hard to explain in black and white print and in the locker room. Sometimes there is just a player who senses he is about to be sacked and can avoid it without even taking his eyes off the field. The difference between a pretty good QB and an outstanding one. Of course in here is

YOU GOTTA HAVE AN O LINE BUDDY.

John lets hope he does it though. Sometimes kids don't understand how much weightlifting can impact there overall play. It has to be something he want's to do.

Show Jimmy the blooper reel of all the hits Brady took over the years, then show him how many times Brady ever missed playing time because of injury.

You can be as "tough" as you want, but being bigger and stronger allows your body to take more of a beating before it effects your play.

this is why i wouldnt be surprised to see Dayne Crist (a physical specimen) play sooner than everyone thinks. If JC doesnt want to lift (not saying he doesnt) then I could see DC taking over by year 2.

So then does Evan get the nod for the remainder of the season, as we get into the lollypop section of our schedule (Thank God!)?

Wouldn't that be the best time for player development?

Is Jimmy being replaced because of injury?

If Evan gets yanked after this game, is he the next transfer?

Unlike others, I think Evan understands his role on this team.

I guess I'm just stirring the pot.

thats what i was wondering. Sharpley gets the start this game, and lets say he does well, then what? is he the starter the rest of the season? and is that best? i would think the best thing for the future of ND is to get Clausen experience before the end of the season so hes ready with the full playbook when next season starts.. otherwise Clausen goes into next season not much more ahead of where he is right now.

i never saw any tape from Clausen in high school so i dont know what his throws were like then, but from what ive seen this season he didnt really look like someone who was arguably the best QB recruit in all the country.

what happens when Crist comes in next season? will he sit the entire season which could give him an additional season? or does he have a chance at competing for the starters spot? ..and if he say is so good in spring practice that he earns the starting QB what happens to Clausen?

i would think with Sharpley and Clausen going into next season unless Crist just dominates in the spring he is destin to ride the bench the entire season right?

Guest jl72002

I have not completely thought out this answer yet but...

If Sharpley starts this year and Clausen sits for the remainder I dont see that as a huge setback. All it does is put Clausen back into a normal learning curve for a freshman. Look at all the other freshmen across college ball that sit for one or two years and how much better they are because of it.

How does it break down if Sharpley starts the remainder and even going in to next year? Say Clausen takes starting his Junior season and starts two years and wins us NC's. Crist will still only be starting his junior season when he finishes his eligibilty. Then DC could start for two years and win us those two NC's. I would be completely happy with getting two good years of starting out of both of them and competing and or winning the NC those 4 years combined.

Then what you have to keep on doing is recruiting the good QBs. I think by that point we will probably be more set with the way Weis recruits.

But like I said, I have not worked out any loopholes in my argument here...what do you all think?

IMO, we shouldn't be fighting Evan as the starter. Right now he's proven to have the better physical skills than Clausen. Sure, Clausen was our golden boy and we had hopes but it's time to move on there is no reason Sharpley can't be a darn good qb in Charlie's system for the next two years until Dayne or some other kid is the next big thing. But it's apparent to me Sharpley has the tools to succeed. Hopefully Clausen comes around but I'd have no problem with letting Sharpley gain experience and progress the rest of the season over Clausen.

Guest SirJohn

I personally and am not the coach would sit crist at least a year to aclimate him. But then I don't know what next year brings to the table. It's all like the OK corall, this is all I have and i have to live or die with it.

Remember also that neither ES nor JC have been aided in their progression as QB's. If you watch a game live it is incredible how even mediocre teams are glued to our receivers. And we all know about the line...Any QB would suck behind those guys. They are embarrassing. So don't go throwing JC under the bus just yet.