Realistically, what are our chances this weekend?

SDIrishFan

I am as biased a ND fan as there is, so it is truly hard to look at any game objectively. But, I'm going to try.

I think we have a chance in this game and for no other reason than USC is EXTREMELY banged up. Their 10 best offensive lineman have one form of injury or another. As us Domers know, the game starts and stops with the success of the OL. So I think with the way our defense has been playing we should be able to shut down the run and get consistant pressure on their quarterback.

Speaking of quarterback, he's the backup. A good backup, but backup none the less. I haven't watched much of USC this year but from reading their board it sounds like their receivers couldnt catch a cold. Their backs are banged up too.

I think if we would have played this year's USC team with last years ND team, we would have won by 3 touchdowns, but obviously that's not the case.

My big concern is can we do ANYTHING on offense? We can't expect the defense to score in every game. That means the offense has to score, special teams has to put us in position to score, and the defense has to play as well as they have the past two games.

At the beginning of the year, everyone was proclaiming this USC defense to be one of the best in history? Has that panned out that way? I don't think so. But, even if it is just a good defense, ND will struggle to move the ball on them like they have all year.

So, if the offense can move the ball at least somewhat, the defense plays as well as they have the past 2 weeks, and we win the turnover battle, i think we win this game.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bfabes05

If sharpley is the starter we have a definite shot of beating SC, they played poor last week against a bad team in Arizona and lost to a very bad Stanford team who was playing with a third string QB and both of these games were at home, I like our defense keeping us in the game as always but the big change is if Sharpley starts and we get things actually going in the first half compared to when he has came in the second half to try and rescue things and make a rally

USC is playing no better than BC right now.

Biggest problem with this game is that USC has a beastly DL, and they are going to be after the QB and in the backfield all day long.

This clearly isnt the USC of the last 3 years, but I still think ND wont be able to pull this one out, the blocking just isnt good enough to score enough points to win this game.

i think ND has a great chance at winning this game.

i heard Sanchez was starting QB, but even if it is Booty he cant be really healed enough to be as effective as expected before the season.

if ND's defence plays well i see them being able to get pressure on the QB and maybe forcing Sanchez/Booty to throw interceptions. unfortunately i see the same thing the other way with the USC defence being able to get pressure over the ND OL line and maybe forcing Sharpley to throw interceptions.

i like Sharpley over Clausen, but of the things ive noticed about Sharpley is he too often throws into double coverage, that cant be allowed to continue.

USC is 2nd in rush defence with 401 yards allowed on the season and 29.2 yards a game.. however according to yahoo stats USC is 21st in passing defence with 1199 yards on the season and 199.8 yards per game.

so apparently running the ball is going to be tough, leaving it up to Sharpley. i dont want to see him forcing the ball too often, but maybe ND can get something going with screens? Clausen i noticed never did much with screens this season, but in the last game when Sharpley came in i think he had multiple screens against BC.

could be a close game that comes down to special teams.

ND is averaging 10.3 yards on punt returns, and 19.6 yards on kickoff returns.

ND has a about a 1 in 5 chance of pulling this one out, which is way better than I ever thought it'd be. With the lack of offensive identity on both sides of the ball, the defense improving in South Bend, and the QB question marks for both squads, its pretty much a crapshoot - only downside being that the Trojans have a way more talented roster.

I'm with Special on this one. We need spec. teams to step up. It might be time for Zbikowski to put up or shut up. Maybe it was just me, but he had some opportunities this week at PR, but didnt run with the same zip or authority I saw earlier in the year vs. PSU. Maybe he's playing dinged again; would explain why they don't seem to use him in coverage situations any more. But I digress...

Whether its the Golden Flash, AA, Zibby, or an unnamed hero, we're going to need some fashion of a return to spark us. Last week it was on defense; Brian Smith almost got the crowd into it with his interception. Now it's the spec. teams unit's turn.

I also believe that ND will need no motivation for this game.

I believe the team will be sky high to beat these guys and will be more fired up we've seen them all year!

I also believe USC will be looking past us and not give us that much respect.

I really think we have a chance if Sharpley can get rid of the ball accurately and quick enough!

ND has a about a 1 in 5 chance of pulling this one out, which is way better than I ever thought it'd be.

/quote]

man, do we think alike. as soon i read the first post, i said to myself, "the odds of us winning about 5 to 1!"

which is better than i had thought about 3 weeks ago, lemme tell you..

Guest SirJohn

Realisticly? I've predicted several more wins then we have. I think if JC rests Sharpley starts and doesn't do anything stupid we can (The earth is shaking the sky is falling) beat USC. They are mediocre this year, worn, and dinged up bad. Put it this way. We are no better then they but no worse either.

not feeling too optimistic right now.

i feel the same way. USC might not be as good this year but they are still head and shoulders above ND. when you cant run block or pass block and your going up against a good USC defense i don't see how ND is going to score their points. i don't see ND scoring more then 10 points, as bad as USC has played lately they are cappable of scoring more then 10.

This is not a good USC team. Regardless of what they do this Saturday, they lose at least 2 more games in the PAC10

They are as banged up as a team can be. They wouldn't crack a top 3 if we ranked them with the opponents already played

This game is very winnable

not feeling too optimistic right now. i'll be there; however, with all my brothers and sisters hoping for an irish victory. i'll be taking my 25 year old son for his inaugral pilgrimage. he is extremely excited. go irish.....

Good for you and your son schell. As the day gets closer, maybe the optimism will return? Your couldn't have picked a better game for your son's first. No matter what the records are...an SC vs Notre Dame game is one to see. In SoCal, the week leading up to the Irish coming in is incredible to say the least. Condom fan gets up for us like no other.

And not to worry brother...I have enough optimism for all of us! 8)

I think we stand a solid chance of upsetting USC this week. I mean, they lost to Stanford two weeks ago and this week snuck by a terrible Arizona team. Arizona's two wins have come against Washington State and N. Arizona....not impressive teams either. Also, over the past two weeks, USC's OL has become....yes....possibly weaker....than our own. They have so many injuries that they have no continuity upfront. Atleast our OL has been working together all year...and making strides each week. If we can hold up the pass rush, we will have a shot to win this....oh, and we are at home. That could be a huge factor if we see Sanchez like everyone expects. GO IRISH

if ND is going to stand a chance this weekend against USC, CW needs to finally open up the playbook. he said that going into the BC game he was going to open things up. well to me it looked like the same old dink and dunk crap we've seen all year, that is untill ES came into the game. with pete carroll calling the defense i don't see NDs QB to be able to sit back in the pocket and look for WRs down field. i fully expect USC's defense to bring the house on every play.