Carufel Leaving Team

Scotty88

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw that. I have mixed feelings. I wish the kid the best in life. But to leave in the middle of the season. Essentially abandoning your friends and teammates and for what? Playing time? This isn't the right place. Well sorry but you've had a year and half to realize this.

Per the SB Trib article I suspected that it had to do with the depth chart and starting. Basically, it was a knee-jerk reaction to being told he was not the starter for this game. Weis is making the OL which has been a major problem this year accountable. You bust your butt and beat the other guys out then you play. On a daily basis. If I am Olsen or Stewart I have to smile, my main competition just gave up, less competition for the spot.

To give up, middle of season, burn a year of eligibility when you have been starting and playing a lot, is just bad! I am sure Weis was in his face about picking it up a notch. Why not bust your butt, finish the season out. The reality is that your only an injury away from starting again. Next year Sullivan is gone.

It sounds like Carufel didn't want to talk about it anymore when the reporter called and he hung up. I guess that meeting with Weis didn't go real well........

On the surface... it looks like MC is abandoning ND & the team over playing time... which doesn't speak too much to his character or commitment.

But, I am wondering what precipitated his being leapfrogged by Olsen on the line? MC started the last three friggin' games!!

Why is it that Turk is still in over MC... it seemed to me on the UCLA game that MC has more potential than Turk.

Perhaps Olsen was tagged because he showed more potential as pass protector than MC... ?? I'm dumbfounded..

Anyway, I'm disappointed MC didn't find a home at ND, and I wish him well, but I'd really like to understand the circumstances for his leaving.

I can't (initially) believe he's leaving because of play time... he seemed so pumped to attend ND two years ago... attending nearly every home game.

I've got to take my rose colored glasses off on this one.

Reuland and Carufel gone, Stewart almost gone and had to be pushed towards sticking it out in part by his folks... Weis is an offensive guru, and 4 offensive recruits of his have jumped ship, after only 1 year in the program. The QB defection of Frazer was expected, but the mid season ones?

Its the timing of these transfers that are simply alarming. We really won't know all of the story behind each of the mid-season departures, but 3 of them, all from Charlie's 1st class? You understand when guys don't see playing time in the cards; thats when they do the Zach Frazer, and look elsewhere. But mid-season? To me, my best guess says that a kid is pissed off about something, and needs to get out of Dodge ASAP. If you're simply unhappy about playing time and your eligibility has been burned up like Carufel, you take your lumps, finish the semester, and transfer onces the season is over. But in these instances... I dunno, might be over-guessing on some of these, b/c I certainly can't prove that they're all "ugly breakups", but something doesn't sit right with me. Its simply abnormal to see this many transfers mid-season.

And in the same breathe as this, I can't entirely fault these players for thinking the way they have - its simply an unfair criticism of an amature, 19 year old athlete. I'm the same age, and I'm a 1st hand example of how difficult it is to think, and act, the same way as adults do on a day to day basis. And, for the most part, when you're dealing with a spotlight as bright as Notre Dame's, those are pretty much the expectations we have. Do I think some of these transfers aren't the wisest of moves? Of course not. But in the end, when I really look in the mirror, I can't say for certain that I wouldn't make a similar decision if I were in their shoes. Thats the thing about youth; you need life experience and guidance, to get through some of these adversities and difficulties.

Thats why, 1st and foremost its Charlie & Co's jobs to recruit these guys for the right reasons: for the school and for the program, not the depth chart.

But even more importantly, thats why they're called coaches, not coordinators, to not only teach them about football, but help them grow and mature as individuals. College is all about learning to grow up and be "big people" by the time they're all done, and coaches aren't excluded from this process. They HAVE to be more vested in the lives of their players than in the pros. Otherwise, kids flounder.

Aside from all of that... it sounds like Charlie hasn't been the best at maintaining communication with his players. Again, a lot of this may be a media-inspired version of the telephone game, and what we're hearing is way off base from reality. But what if it isn't? Demetrius cited hearing one thing from Weis early on, and another when Clausen was put in the starting role. If memory serves, Stewart said he had a misunderstanding that lead to his malcontent, but patched it up with Weis. No matter how big or small these miscues are, they aren't a good sign.

Don't get me wrong: I'm still behind Charlie, and believe he has what it takes to rebuild ND into a real contender once more. I'm also aware that, when you boil all of it down, most of what I've said is a well crafted piece of BS: its just a theory, that I have no way of proving, and little way of propping up. In the end, a lot of my "suggestors" are subject to opinion. I could be right on the money, or I could be totally off base. But to look at these 5 transfer incidents and pin the tail on the kids in question each and every time? It's simply foolish; you have to critically examine all facets of a phenomenon like this, and for the most part people are willing to look at the departed. But I've got to look at Charlie too, even if people do misinterpret me, and think I'm some angry fan throwing him under the bus and asking for his resignation.

I think Charlie stands to learn a great deal, about the college game, turning high school boys into collegiate men, and what it takes to run a program rather than just an offensive playbook, before he can be lumped in with the elite college coaches out there, and before we can rekindle our daydreams of ND national championship runs.

Luckily I think he's already started that learning process; despite a 1-6 start, none of our recruits have jumped ship. That bodes well for the collective character of the guys coming on board, not to mention the fact that the apparently has sold them on more than what our last game was. But there still is a ways to go, obviously.

That's a ***** move by Carufel. What's really telling about him as a person, though, is him hanging up on the Tribune when they wanted a comment. You make a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened with the team and then you don't have the stuff to give a reason.

I'll tell ya what, bud. Quitters lose in life. They always do. You keep that attitude through the rest of your life and you won't get far. I could wish you well like other people will, but it obviously doesn't matter. All the well-wishes in the world won't help someone who abandons his team.

I'm :censored: sick of this crap.

me too. thats the fourth highly rated player from the '06 class to leave the team. this will not help with the depth on the OL and if you ask me NDs OL has big problems that will not even get fixed next year. IMO ND could be in trouble.

this will not help with the depth on the OL and if you ask me NDs OL has big problems that will not even get fixed next year. IMO ND could be in trouble.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with you, Russ. When this amount of guys leave at this time of the year this is an indication of players not being bought into the system. These are CW's guys so we can't use the "Ty" excuse on this one. CW recruited these guys and now they have lost faith in him. This type of thing doesn't happen when you have players totally bought into the vision that the coach is preaching. There is definitely a much deeper problem here and this reprecussions of this are going to carry over into next year--the obvious being our O-line is in big trouble again next year, but even more important is the apparent disconnect between CW and the players.

Guest SirJohn

It's possible part of this aberation is in some degree the guy that took over player development from Pawlus. Someone should have their finger on the players pulse to head these issues off at the pass. Stewart's father said he was homesick. I read Ruland was having trouble making friends on and off the team.

You don't think Ferentz wont call Weis and ask him a few questions about our friend Matt?

Good question. Not really sure how pissed Ferentz was about Smith and Prince. Generally I think a coach would want to get another coach's asessment. Personally, I think it's as simple as a kid being overly sensitive and emotional. Others have pointed to him taking in a bunch of visits a couple years ago. I still picture him outside the lockerroom with the ND gear on. Too bad he couldn't stick it out. T. Robinson come on down!

So the trickle down from this may be that we miss out on Michael Floyd who was out top WR recruit from the same HS as Carufel...Also of interest, Carufel was one of the hosts for Little (O-Lineman from Georgia who de-committed last year) so I wonder what Carufel's communication was to him that may or may not have impacted Little's decision to de-committ...

Carufel was starting for 3 weeks, so I don't know if it was playing time that he was bothered with...I suspect he did not like the coaches and having to watch Turcovich get pummeled for another week was just too much for him to deal with...MC has talent and will land on his feet, I just wish he would handle this situation with more class and dignity...In the end, this is how he will be remembered by a lot of people, he needs to be aware of that before he makes this decision and it appears our coaches failed to present this to him

I have heard from several people that the locker room is very divided between the upper classman who came in with Ty and the Underclassman who were brought in by CW...Now with losing as much as they are, it appears the weak minded players are jumping ship...

Reuland will end up with his younger brother, so that he will have a friend on the team, not that I knew him personally, but the guy was a self absorbed dork...hate to label him, but that is what his classmates thought of him and his struggles to find a friend on the team is testimony to that.

Stewart was homesick and hasn't been able to get on the field and only watched our O-Line get blown up for 6 weeks when he made his comments...but a cooler head prevailed

Zach was expected...he will be fine and land on his feet

D Jones was a shock to me...After starting on opening day and being quoted as saying that he was happy with his opportunity to compete for the starting job and that everyone had equal chances at earning the spot, it was very odd for him to leave the way he did...I know he had a lot of juice in the Chicago area with recruiting as well and I can only hope that there is not a trickle down effect on his departure...I guess he is now going to Cincinnati and not Northern Illinois, I can't decide if this is indicative of his character (flip flop schools to transfer to) or if he is making a better decision...

All in all, the one thing that is consistant is that these are all CW's players and that the team appears to be coming unglued and that is the top priority of the coaching staff...He must keep them together and formulate a bond that will develop through time...Mutiny can sink a ship faster than anything I could think of...

Now we face the challenge of righting the ship and getting the team together...something that is an unusual challenge at this level especially for the time of year to face these challenges....

I got homesick when i went to college too. I transferred a couple of times and finally found my right match. But....I wasn't on scholarship. Sometimes these kids buy the hype and forget to look and see if they really fit in. I know what that feels like. I finally found the right school and never looked back. Sometimes these kids might think that all that work and no play is an exercise in futility. It's one thing to be sitting behind a guy and be on a great team. It's another when you are behind them and your team is horrible. Same way at work. One can suck it up if you are making good money and work behind an idiot in a great company. But when you work for an idiot and the pay stinks and the company is on the downslope then it is time to bail out.

iF therE is division in the locker-room, then I think Charlie has done the right thing and has been open about making kids face the mirror, and declare whether you're on or off the bus.... end of discussion.

That said, I think it is disturbing that all those who have jumped were O-players... Corwin seems to have his crew lined up behind him.... but it helps when u have Laws (playing standout) and Crum (playing every play with passion)...

O-Leadership is lacking. Unfortunately, Sully hasn't been a big enough anchor for the line... Carlson is playing hard, but his immediate impact is limited... not like what an RB or QB can deliver... Unfortunately, Travis was a bust at RB

I am hoping Evan Sharpley is given the QB role... seems like he has the general support of the team... and can provide the leadership needed in the huddle and locker-room. He's a team guy, and as much as I like Jimmy's potential, we need leadership and direction now, however imperfect.

I don't care how bad it is to lose these guys, nor how bad it hurts our depth; the principle thing is that our players have to buy into the coaches vision, if you don't, you leave, it's simple as that. If it takes this many transfers to weed out the problem then so be it, please continue. I want the dead weight and the individuals who don't want to be there to leave, I'm sure that was Weis message. It shows the character of individuals when times get tough, and if people don't belong or don't want to compete on a 1-6 team, leave. As so many teams around the nation show, it doesn't take top notch talent to be successful. It takes hardworking guys who buy into the vision of the coaches.

I played basketball, and the one thing I learned from my basketball coach at the time who was very successful, is the important of buying into the program and into the system. My coach brought in highly recruited guys, and some of them transferred that year because they weren't buying into the program. Did it hurt to lose those guys? It sure did, I even fought it at the beginning. But when we had everyone on board buying into the system we became good.

One of the things the coach constantly said was that he would take five players who were willing to buy into the system, rather than 12 guys who were fighting it. That theory proved right, and it's not more prevalent than it is at Notre Dame this year.

Let these guys leave..

I think the real problem here requires a reflection on gen X and gen Y. I'm a gen Xer and it seems everywhere I turn I see a society that in large part doesn't honor commitment. I truly don't mean to offend anyone here so don't take this personally. But whether it's the record setting divorce rate, the cut throat impersonal manner in which business is handled, or just the general "I am willing to step on anyone to take care of myself". The reality is that EVERYONE was 18 or 19 years old at one point, but not everyone was permitted to quit at the first sign of adversity. What this really is is a bunch of homesick babies that have no idea what a committment is let alone know how to honor one. THAT is a parental problem IMHO. I grew up in a house where I wasn't allowed to quit. If I didn't want to do something...then my parents made me do it TWICE. Running away from adversity was the ultimate sign of weakness and quite simply was not tolerated. So how about we stop giving these kids the "excuse" of being 18 years old. We have brave 18 year olds dieing in Iraq as we speak and they don't have the option of quiting so excuse me if I don't join the pitty party for these weak prima donna football players.

That being said I never wish ill will upon anyone, Matt Carufel is no different. I do however hope that someone along the line in Matt's life actually teaches him the value of committment. Without it, he will have a hard time achieving anything of substance in life.