I'll ask what you have all been thinking

Ray Herring

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would the season be like with Sharpley from the beginning?

I think we would be a completely different team. Poor handling of the QBs by Weis from the getgo. On a completely green team, we needed veteran leadership from the QB, not a scared freshman.

ya wanna know what it would be like? same record, same problems with the wideouts and o-line and running game, slightly more points scored but more INT's thrown. and the same record. MAYBE one more win.

this is a pure BS thread. wake up and look at it objectively. sharpley is marginally better than JC at this point. he fixates on receivers as bad as JC and is still worse than JC is accuracy.

jeebus... :roll:

wake up and look at it objectively

Maybe you should do the same. Did you even watch the game? Sharpley is marginally beter then Clausen? Please. Clausen may have a higher ceiling, but he is playing bad right now. Sharpley at least is moving the offense, creating plays when there is none. Sharpley's ball firest out of his hand, whereas it flutters with Clausen. How'd that Sharpley TD drive come about? BC just decided to take that series off? Granted they didn't score again but at least he was still making good throws.

I think we would be a completely different team. Poor handling of the QBs by Weis from the getgo. On a completely green team, we needed veteran leadership from the QB, not a scared freshman.

ya wanna know what it would be like? same record, same problems with the wideouts and o-line and running game, slightly more points scored but more INT's thrown. and the same record. MAYBE one more win.

this is a pure BS thread. wake up and look at it objectively. sharpley is marginally better than JC at this point. he fixates on receivers as bad as JC and is still worse than JC is accuracy.

jeebus... :roll:

We might not have any more wins, but we would have a more solid confident team with competant QB leadership.

Teams are alot better chemistry-wise when the defense doesnt resent the offense.

Weis has to handle the situation carefully. The best course of action would be to describe his benching as the result of a reaggravated injury.

That way, Clausens confience remains intact, and the team doesnt question Weis decision to start Clausen for the past 7 games.

Guest irishrick

i think charlie will start clausen , sharply played OK but he made the same mistakes, the hold on the TD, was a bummer and that stupid plenty on the team when we scored on the interception , this put us in the hole , i say start clausen next week . go irish :)

GT and Michigan still beat the piss outta ND because of the poor OL play and Choice + Hart running all over the defence.

The Penn State game ND has a small chance because Morelli is brutal, but OL play still too weak.

Purdue who knows, probably dont get shut out in the first half. Michigan state could have been winnable, ND had a chance in that game.

So at best ND could be 3-4 now if Sharpley was starter from day 1. But id put my money on the team being 2-5 if Sharpley started from day 1.

Guest irishrick

i think that the game of the day was the Kentucky -lsu game KY, came to play and did a very good job in defeating the tigers, whom i shall think stay in the top 5. the wildcats should crack the top 10 for sure . what say you ? :)

Lets keep it on topic.

This offense was doomed week one, no matter who got the nod at QB. Whoever lined up at QB would be doomed as well.

As for now? I personally would have liked to see Sharpley take over for Clausen after he got dinged vs. Purdue, but hindsight is 20/20. He gave us a spark then, and he gave us a spark this week.

That said, I can't really grade the two against each other. We've had the benefit of seeing Clausen start, both on the road an at home. As for Sharpley? He's seen relief duty in 3 games, all of which the Irish were behind in. Will Sharpley's accuracy improve with a week's worth of reps in practice, building timing with his receivers? Dunno. Hopefully we'll get to see next week, 'cause I'm still thinking Clausen's never been 100%. His ego certainly won't be after this week's demotion.

I just see thing in Sharpley that I don't see in Clausen. Sharpley is quicker to pull the trigger and has better velocity. Th were were a few throws that shouldn't have been thrown today, but he also made quite a few plays that Clausen might not have.

It is probably too early to grade the two and a side by side assessment wouldn't be complete due to the lack of a consisten OL and a respectable running game. For my money though I'd start Sharpley. Clausen should be attached to CW hip soaking up and observing as much as he can.

Let's look from a different angle. Am I the only one who noticed the offensive play calls open up this week? The difference between the 2 QB's is that ES has been in the system longer and when you think, you stink! JC is thinking way too much and just needs to go in and make plays. ES comes in a little more relaxed because he knows that CW can't take away his birthday. So he is going out and having fun. It will come for JC and when it does everyone will be happy. Crist will have the exact same problems next year if he gets thrown in the mix. The line looked significantly improved!!! AA and Hughes are going to be our Tb's and the fullbacks were finally tapped today and Parris and Kamara are definitley our receivers. I'd like to see Golden on that quick pitch play that Hughes ran. Putting #77 on the left with Sam bought our QB's a lot more time today. I think we have our line. I really do. They just need some time to gel now. Smith looked great at LB. Walls smacked the taste right out of that WR's mouth a few times today. Kamara is a ballsy SOB. He is flat out fearless and Parris is definitely modeling himself ala Shark. Even does the finger tip "give me the love" move after big catches. I like it.

Guest AtlantaIrish

I agree, Sharpley needs to start this week. He gives us the best chance of winning right now against USC. Clausen is the future, but right now I want to beat USC and I feel a lot better with Sharpley back there.

If Sharpley sucks it up then put JC back in.

gee, i guess i was the only one who saw sharpley almost throw two should-a-been picks and miss what? 6 or 7 passes in a row? yet, that is supposed to be some great improvement?? and it's only CW's "ego"" that's keeping sharpley from being leading us to victories? puhleeze..

yes, as i said in another post, sharpley gives you a marginally better chance to win but he makes THE SAME MISTAKES OVER AND OVER AGAIN just like JC except evan's a JUNIOR and JC is a true freshman. if sharpley wasn't a slight improvement, i'd wonder what the hell he was even doing on the team!

look, he undoubtedly provided a spark but he threw into double coverage, shoulda been picked twice, locked on parris for the whole of the 4th qtr., etc. in other words, he was marginally better than JC but i still think our other, FAR LARGER, offensive problems won't really change one iota no matter who the qb is!

If Sharpley doesn't start next week it means Clausen's getting preferential treatment. It's bs. Sharpley's created far more than Clausen and to answer your question if Weis played the best player at QB, Sharpley, from the start we'd probably be at least 3-4 right now, with wins over MSU and Purdue. He's moving the ball and actually making quick decisions.

I have been back and forth with the issues at hand (in my head at least).

• Clausen has a weak arm
    clausen can't read any defense
    Weis' handling of the team is absolutely horrendous
    The team lacks discipline
    Weis does not get it yet and may never get it before leaving

Weis says he played the seniors because he promised them he would not "REBUILD". Weis plays Clausen and says he was his guy from the beginning. We have a bunch of Pansy recruits that want their mama's. This team plays with no HEART.

It is only a matter of time before next years recruits start talking and we will have the bottom of the top barrel....AGAIN!

We do not have a QB that can run this team. Clausen can't, Sharpley can't and Weis can't.

If this team wins 4 games it will be amazing. The back end of the schedule which was supposed to be "EASY", will not be a cake walk. These teams will come to ND with passion and attitude. something the current Irish team is lacking.

:censored: :censored: :drunk: :drunk: :censored: :censored:

i dont think anyone is saying Sharpley is the answer to lead the Irish into glory or whatever, but right now he is better than Clausen. IMO for right now today theres no argument that Sharpley gives the Irish a better chance to win than Clausen.

Sharpley is no Brady Quinn, he makes mistakes just like Clausen, but the offense is just a little better with Sharpley than Clausen. it could be Clausens still injured, maybe its Clausen doesnt have the same play calling as Sharpley.. whatever the reason, right now Sharpley is the guy who helps the team win more.

i said it in a different thread somewhere that if i had to give them rankings out of 10 i might only give Sharpley something like a 5, but Clausen only gets a 4. unfortunately theres noone else to turn to, so its either Sharpley or Clausen, and IMO the QB who helps the team/offense more is Sharpley.