Is it a talent problem or a coaching problem?

dangeruss

look what illinois is doing this year. thats a team that doesn't have a lot of talent either but they maybe the best team in the big ten and their success is no fluke either, they are a legit team. they can pass and their running game is awsome. also look at their OL recruiting since '04. my point is that Illinois is able to take less talent and coach it up to have one of the better offenses and running attacks in the country, while ND's coaches have better talent but they don't seem to develop it or coach it up very well and it all starts with head coach charlie weis. lou holtz was a much better coach IMO.

Illinois

2004 - four 2-star OL recruites

2005 - three 2-star OL recruites

2006 - two 3-star OL recruites, three 2-star OL recruites

2007 - two 4-star OL recruites, two 3-star OL recruites

Notre Dame

2004 - both OL recruites transfered

2005 - two 3-star OL recruites

2006 - one 5-star OL recruite, four 4-star OL recruites, one 3-star OL recruite

2007 - two 4-star OL recruites, one 3-star OL recruite

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois has 16 OL in that list, including 7 seniors.

So, is it coaching, talent or EXPERIENCE.

I agree Lou was a better coach at this point in time... but I don't think Lou inherited Charlie's situation either.

I'll wait until year 5 to pass judgment on Charlie

I think it might have more to do with experience. We had a butt load of guys making their first career start this year. I think there is a coaching problem at the OL position (Ole Miss guys I talked to say Latina didn't run game coach well). I also think there is a S&C problem. Our guys don't look ripped like they did with Davie, imo. I'd like to see Mendoza and Latina move along after this year.

I think it might have more to do with experience. We had a butt load of guys making their first career start this year.

what about last year though? ND had a vetren OL but still they managed to give up a butt load of sacks and the running game was still not that impressive. on the experience topic, auburn started three freshmen on the OL when they beat UF in the swamp. i just don't see any nasty in the OL like when lou holtz was walking the sidelines.

Russ, I'm going to have to disagree with you on one of your points, CW does not coach the OL and shouldn't be blamed for their dismal play. The guy your looking for is Latina, and as i've said for the last year-and-a-half, he needs to go. I don't care if he was good/great at Ole Miss, he ain't worth a squat here. The problem is that his replacement is probably working right now so he can't be replaced, we'll have to wait for the off season to fix that issue.

Illinois sucked bad with those guys and now they've got experience. To be honest I'm not sure Illinois is that good right now. Wisconsin is TERRIBLE on d. Heck the Big Ten is terrible right now.

The Big Ten is terrible, but we're 0-4 against the Big Ten this year losing by 2 TDs or more in each game.

The reason why it's easier for Illinois to be good is that they run the spread offense and when you dont have the best OL, misdirection plays a big part. You need lean, faster OL in great shape with a spread offense than the big hog mollies you need in a conventional Offense. So height isnt always a factor.

And most of the time, size plays a big part in these guys rankings. I dk how big Iillinois recruits/OL are/were, but I know that misdirection can play a big part in making a decent OL look a lot better.

You need only look at who they have played to see why Illinois is having success so far. Put ND up against W. Illinois, Indiana, Syracuse and you'd see the Irish with the same success. Sure they beat PSU and Wisky but those teams were exposed for the frauds that they were. #5 my a$$.

They are winning though, so yes, they are improving. What I am able to see is that they are building around what the Crook did at Fl. Speed , athleticism and lots of it. The Big Ten is one of the "slowest" conferences in the country. If you need further proof look at what Fl did to OSU.

Now ND has some speed, but they just haven't had the space in which to operate it. Talent seems to be there, so you have to look at the coaching as a potential problem/future solution. I'd love to be able to turn on the game this weekend and just watch at how ND's OL punishes BC into the ground. They need to walk around p-off and just take it out on the guy in front of them.

In regards to Omar I don't think a OL coaching change, or a ??? coaching change would have any bearing on his commitment. So long as CB and CW are there I think ND's fine.

Maybe you shouldnt focus on their OL and focus on their RB. Mendenhall is a beast and will be playing on sundays. He is also a junior, while our RBs are soph and freshmen. They also have a QB who can't throw, but is good with his feet and can run with the football. They also run A. Benn out off the backfield, but he never seems to do much damage. He is better lined up wide. Please remember that we went to BCS games the last two years while they combined for 4 wins. I will take that anyday.

Look for a massive overhaul! Head coach a Def co stays.

didn't omar hunter say that he's headed to ND as long as the coaching staff is all there?

I'm guessing he meant CW and CB, not so much position coaches. If I had to guess right now, Id say it will be OL coach, Special Teams coach, and I'm sure I will get jumped on again for this, but the WR should get a new coach.

I don't think last year they were having physical practices just like this year. Thats why there weren't any injuries during spring practice last year and this year. Mostly every college team has injuries during spring practice, USC had around 3-4 running backs injured during spring practice this year. I think Weis has learned that they need to be more physical in practice.