Win or Loss

Guest irish_at_birth

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

This team was 0-5 and just upset a team that was favored to beat it by 20, and you're going to bitch about the offensive play-calling?

I don't care if it was conservative, or not perfect, as Notre Dame fans, we are in no position to be clamoring for blow-outs.

Did you ever think that Charlie may have thought this was a game his defense could win (which it did) and just didn't want to let UCLA's aggressive and opportunistic defense combat that?

Please, go drink a beer, and enjoy this win.

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

This team was 0-5 and just upset a team that was favored to beat it by 20, and you're going to bitch about the offensive play-calling?

I don't care if it was conservative, or not perfect, as Notre Dame fans, we are in no position to be clamoring for blow-outs.

Did you ever think that Charlie may have thought this was a game his defense could win (which it did) and just didn't want to let UCLA's aggressive and opportunistic defense combat that?

Please, go drink a beer, and enjoy this win.

I do not drink, and did enjoy the game. And when I last heard...this was a site for opinions? Did this change over night?

Besides...no one is bashing our team or the coaching for that matter. So please...be careful not to misinterput our opinions.

RDR, I am not bashing your opinion, I'm just baffled that after the first win of a tumultuous season, we've found fault this quickly.

At this point, a win is a win.

My apologies if that post offended you.

No offense taken really, just did not want to be taken as someone who was being negative. It's all good. I do not find fault so much as I felt we were being a bit conservative at times. Jimmy appeared to have had a bit more time than usual back there? I was looking for an opportunity to work on a play or two as opposed to looking to 'blow out' anyone.

But like you, I found many, many reasons to cherrish this win, because 'a win is a win'.

By the way Ital-Irish...I too apologize in being overly sensitive. Was riding an emotional roller coaster there...and may have overeacted. Sorry. You have always been a good poster with your opinions and such.

we should all calm down a bit. I am so happy right now, but during the game I would have loved putting the game away earlier....we didn't and we won. EAT IT ESPN!!! oh mayday...how are your trojans....they suck.....how about booty....he is the wosrt. they were all throwing bq under the bus last year...booty is just not really being dogged even though he has time to throw but just sucks.

we should all calm down a bit.

Understood!

ND FANATIC

I have to admit, the 1st and goal from the one call was horrible - you can't lose 5 yds on 1st and goal, you should just jam it down their throat 4 times if you have to, you don't try and get cute and pass.

In total agreement. We have the horses...this would have been an opportunity to get them that nasty feeling by pounding the ball in the end zone. Its getting better though. 8)

I totally disagree with those who think the play calling has been horrendous all yaer. From everything I've read or seen, there have only been a few calls that haven't seemed appropriate but by in large, most of what has been called has been the right play or the right type of play but we've had execution issues. Those can be generally attributed to the youth and inexperience of the starters.

If you don't know the game strategy or what things the team is trying to take advantage of then it is hard to generalize the play calling as bad. Now, I know some of you are coaches and greater football minds then I so please provide your input as I am just reporting what I have heard from others that are in the coaching profession. I would also like to understand why you believe the call or the philosophy wasn't right versus most of the overly general statements that have been made throughout the season.

I have to admit, the 1st and goal from the one call was horrible - you can't lose 5 yds on 1st and goal, you should just jam it down their throat 4 times if you have to, you don't try and get cute and pass.

Absolutely!

Gimme me run, run, run......and then run on fourth. A healthy dose of Mr. Hughes running behind Asaph.

I was steaming when Jimmy took the sack.

I think that Charlie goes away from the run too often at times.

The team really showed me a lot though.

No turnovers, and the line gave Jimmy too much time sometimes, if there's such a thing.

One thing I was hoping to see was more of Duval. He didn't really get in until later in the game. With a good showing last week and Charlie leaning on the throw this week, I was hoping to see him line up on the other side of Tate.

Oh well, we have plenty of time for that.

Guest Deimos

I think the play calling for the offensive side of the ball has been just fine. You have to look at it from the team's standpoint, not the fans.

The fans see that we have all this talent on that side of the ball. Tons of four star and five star recruits, but we are sputtering on offense. Yea, the line is messy, but we have weapons, we should be using them.

The teams sees that they have a messy line, and understands that the line determines whether the offense moves. Weapons can't be utilized until you can block for them.

Case in point, the Indianapolis Colts. Good heavens, here is a team that lost their number one receiver and main running back. They also lost three starters on Defense (including their best player on D, Bob Sanders) They scored, what, 34? Against a Tampa Defense that hadn't allowed a first quarter TD all year. The Colts not only scored on their opening drive, but scored at the start of the second quarter too. To further illustrate the point, they controlled the ball...for over 38 minutes! A team can't dominate on offense, control the clock, and put up big numbers, without the O-Line being healthy. Of all those injuries I mentioned, ZERO were to the O-Line. While its nice to have the weapons, you have to control the trenches first.

This gets us back to the original point. The playcalling. Charlie is calling for a conservative plan right now because he wants A. Clausen to live through the season and B. the O-Line to get progressively better. However, you don't start running marathons to get faster, you train, and you build up so that eventually, you can run the marathon. Right now, the line is working on blocking for only a certain period of time. Eventually, they will be able to block longer, and better, because they are training, essentially, now. Because of this, the weapons do not have a lot of time to execute their moves because the O-Line is still fighting to control the trenches. Refer back to the Colts. Peyton got killed his first two years or so in the league while the O-Line got used to each other. Now, they are so good, that the line lost the Left Tackle due to early retirement, and they went and inserted a rookie there, and they are still scoring points because the Line is so functional, that adding a new member to it really didn't phase it.

This is where ND is trying to get too, but quicker. In order to do that, we have to start where we are now. I am not saying the Offensive play calling has been perfect. Not even close. Then again, when was the last time any game for a football team was...perfect?

-MW-

The pass on 1st and one killed me too. I think the line looks much improved and it seemed Jimmy had a ton of time. He just didn't execute the kid needs to get rid of the damn ball and let his receivers make plays (put the ball IN bounds!) or check down. I won't sit back here and say that it is all our wide-outs I think a lot of it is Jimmy.[/u]

I don't think anyone is calling for a perfect gameplan. I understand CW wants to walk before he can run, but a little creativity wouldn't hurt. I nearly threw my remote threw the TV when I saw Clausen get dropped for a loss when they had the ball inside the 2 or 3 on 1st down. Where is Robert Hughes? Seriously though, has he had many touches lately? More then anything the calls have been kinda stale.

Something to think about here....imagine calling plays for Tom Brady, Brady Quinn for two years, then a true frosh new to the offense with a bunch of young guys in the lineup. I dont care who you are, its tough to switch gears in a manner like this. Lets be happy we were conservative this week, we won by 14, and the D did exactly what our coaching staff thought it could do...manufacture points for the O. I'm not trying to say the play calling has been great, but this is a very different situation than Weis has ever been in.

My only critisism is too many screens, seems like every other play is a screen...hard to do when there's little to no separation. Oh yeah, when are we going to find an identity to our RBs? I can't imagine it's good to continue all of the subbing (w/out getting Hughes some touches) w/out having the go-to back for whatever situation.

I think the play calling for the offensive side of the ball has been just fine. You have to look at it from the team's standpoint, not the fans.

The fans see that we have all this talent on that side of the ball. Tons of four star and five star recruits, but we are sputtering on offense. Yea, the line is messy, but we have weapons, we should be using them.

The teams sees that they have a messy line, and understands that the line determines whether the offense moves. Weapons can't be utilized until you can block for them.

-MW-

I understand the point you are trying to make with the Colts analogy, but I disagree a bit.

The O line gave Jimmy TOO much time at some points in the game. The problem wasn't so much the pass blocking, but rather the inability for anyone to get open outside of 8 yards downfield. Another reason I was surprised to not see more of Duval. The kid may not be able to run the greatest routes yet, but anybody can run a slant. Duval proved this against Purdue, and showed off those soft hands as well.

With the addition of another top-notch receiver and the return of the entire O line (except for Sully), This offense should be in pretty good shape for next year.

I also like the looks of next years schedule.

Starting with a cupcake, like EVERY other top-notch program in Div. 1, is a great way to get the ball rolling.

Now let's beat those filthy Catholics from the north!

Go Irish!