Evan Sharpley

Guest NDgirl09

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagreed over the lovefest that went on from Andre Ware and the other announcer. Sharpley played well and better than he usually does, but they didn't mention that the play calling changed in the second half and that's when Clausen started to loook better. I still think Clausen's throws are significantly better and he took another giant step in running the offense today. I hope he is not hurt badly.

In all fairness to Clausen, he paved the way for Sharpley. If he fails to throw on Purdue, then they would still be blitzing every play, hence rushing Sharpley into bad passes or sacks. I believe it would do more harm to not start JC. I know as fans we want it now, but what's "it" now? 2 times JC was given the ball deep in our own territory and 2 times he made good. With added confidence from the o-line, and more time to make a check down, JC will be a great QB. Leaps and bounds after his first interception! The next time he tucked and ran (albeit he seems slower than hell, or maybe still trying to look downfield?). -Don

i was only able to see the game from the early 3rd quarter on, so i missed alot of what Clausen had done prior to that.. but i think Sharpley has to be the starter now. it sucks that Clausen was hurt to give Sharpley a chance to be in there, but the team was better with Sharpley in the game.

Sharpley's play has forced Weis to start him, he gives the team the best chance to win. he deserves to atleast start the next game, and if he doesnt play well then Clausen can come in. i think Clausen would understand right now with the way Sharpley played that Sharpley deserves to get the start.

i also think Kamara needs to start at WR, and that Tate also needs to see more time on offence.

Good point on Golden and Duval. I can't imagine the scenario in which GT is standing on the sideline during crucial downs? Anyone else notice that other than Ware? WTH are we thinking? 3 huge catches during his limited play. He looks the part for kick-off returns too! -Don

Good point on Golden and Duval. I can't imagine the scenario in which GT is standing on the sideline during crucial downs? Anyone else notice that other than Ware? WTH are we thinking? 3 huge catches during his limited play. He looks the part for kick-off returns too! -Don

He is a part of certain packages that that is when he played.

He cannot at this time play in most packages yet, but I would wager that Weis will be putting him into more and he will be learning more packages.

BTW, It's suicide to not start JC next week if he's healthy enough. What he needs to be doing now is learning the 2 min. offense. It's not that Sharpley is that much better, it's that the receiver's and play calling got better. MHO!!

i think it could be an easy excuse to say Clausen wont be fully healthy and that way Sharpley can start.

if Clausen starts and he isnt effective then people are going to second guess Weis starting him and why Sharpley didnt start when Sharpley was so effective in todays game. i think it could hurt Clausen more if he starts, isnt effective, and has to be replaced by Sharpley.

i missed alot of Clausen's play today, but i was impressed with the way Sharpley played. he avoided a sac what 2 or 3 times by being able to move. he threw the ball away instead of taking a sac. i didnt like the interception in the end zone he threw trying to force it.

Guest IntoTheRain

I disagree, I think Clausen is showing great signs of progress. Taking him out now wouldn't accomplish much in the long term in my mind. This is going to be a rough season, and if taking Clausen out means winning 2 more games now as opposed to having Clausen ready for the future, I certainly wouldn't make the trade. A quick fix doesn't seem best, Weis needs to stick to his guns and show faith in JC. He needs to not let pressure to win a few games more or less in a lost season dictate the development of his QB. Sharpley's play FORCED a start for him? that's a good one, one decent game in relief and he already NEEDS to start. Have some foresight, have some patience, good things sometimes require a wait.

Their stats were nearly identical, both QB's looked sharp, ES did move the ball with a bit more spark. Not at all worth shaking things up, be comforted knowing we have an excellent backup waiting just in case.

i really may not be the best to say who was better today because i didnt get to see much of Clausen play in todays game. so basically since i was only able to watch Sharpley today im comparing Sharpleys 2nd half numbers today to how Clausen has played the whole season. the offense really hasnt been impressive this season with Clausen, but then thats also the fault of the offensive line.

if Clausen starts im not going to be like OMG wtf is going on!! ill be happy and cheering on Clausen to play well to lead this offense, but if Clausen is hurting even a little bit then it could be a safe move to start Sharpley and give Clausen more time to learn.

im not looking at it as bench Clausen because hes not producing, im just thinking if Clausen is hurting i dont want to risk him getting hurt worse and risking the future. no doubt Clausen has a bright future, but right now ND needs to win some games.

I hate that people are actually listening to the announcers on this one. Clausen was playing well, and getting better as the game continued. If we remove Clausen it will be another case of musical chairs. If he is healthy he should start because he has done nothing but show improvements. We all know that if he were healthy he would not have missed Golden running free down the sideline. Sharpley was very effective, but let be real, is was the first time he's looked like he should be on the field. He was given some great (relatively speaking) offensive momentum from Clausen.

First of all...I say a big damn Kudos to Evan Sharpley. You know what I love about this kid? He gets absolutely NO praise...just brings his lunch pail to work and, at least today, he produced when called upon. That being said let's look at reality guys. Reality will be the focus of a thread I will start later today, but for now, let's realize that we are 0-5 and that Jimmy is the future. He is not 100% and should not start next week IMHO.

Regardless, let's give some Kudos to Evan Sharpley. The guy has been underated by the fans and coaches this entire year, yet he shows up every week and sticks with his dream. He is the complete opposite of DJ.

doesnt get any praise? you must have watched the game without volume.jk good for evan we have a great back up qb.

Nope, I watched it with volume. He is a Junior and got no praise until about 15 minutes left in the game today. DJ left after 2 weeks of no praise. It just says something about the person in my opinion. I thought at least a dozen times today when Sharply was in...what is DJ thinking right now? Beat me up if you will, but he is the type of arrogant prick that is probably rooting against us right now...but he was also watching his opportunity lost on TV.

if Clausen is injured i dont think he should start. if hes healthy then ok send him out there. i can only look at the stats for Clausen since i didnt see him play, but looking at his stats he looks like he did good today. i think the main thing is making sure Clausen is healthy. putting him out there not 100% isnt going to be good for the future of him or ND.

I liked them both! I really wouldn't mind either way. I would play ES IF JC is still injured and can't make all the throws. If both are 100% I would teach both the game plan and the weaknesses of ucla's D because who knows what is going to happen and both might see the field. JC was injured and was unable to use his lower body to throw the deep ball. Both made bad decisions and threw pics, but JC's looked like a desperation pass, while ES's wasn't a 3rd or 4th down where he had to force it in. That said, i feel uncomfortable saying anything bad or negative about ES and really don't think it matters which pic was somehow better. I like the kid a lot. I just see JC as the future and would really like to see him play if he is healthy. GO IRISH!!! I hope the O-line improves even more on run and pass blocking. The reason we could throw the ball was because we had a pocket and protection.