What would our record be if . . .

crouchingjedi

Time to play Monday morning quarterback. I support the coaches and team and believe we will improve in time to be a decent team next year, but hindsight is 20/20 and there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Post your scenario and then what you think our record would be had something been different.

So, what would our record be if . . .

At the end of spring CW announces Jimmy was the leading QB in the competition but will have to have the elbow surgery and sit out a full year to recover. He names Sharpley the starter and DJ the backup. Jimmy gets an unofficial redshirt for the year.

Maybe we pick up one win (GT) because we don't come out half-a$$ed in the spread and instead focus on ball control with Sharpley and the offense with which he is familiar. Verdict: 1-3

Others? Somebody come up with a scenario where we could have been more successful thus far

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its not qb play its the o line. we would still have lost these games.

I agree, we would still be 0-4. I don't DJ had much to do with us losing the GT. I may feel different if JC would have had his surgery back in Jan and he had practiced with the team all summer and fall, but we sould probably still ahve lost because of the OL.

Guest Lucky Lep

Not that I am bashing on Jimmy, ND's future looks bright with him at the helm. But, what if Mustain had come to ND and had a year of learing from Quinn and Weis. He then may have been ready to hit the ground running this year. Like others have said, it doesn't matter if the o-line is gashed repeatedly.

Guest heismancaliber
Not that I am bashing on Jimmy, ND's future looks bright with him at the helm. But, what if Mustain had come to ND and had a year of learing from Quinn and Weis. He then may have been ready to hit the ground running this year. Like others have said, it doesn't matter if the o-line is gashed repeatedly.

The only difference would be Mustain taking sacks instead of Clausen. No QB on the face of the Earth would have success playing behind the ND O-line that was on the field the last 4 games.

Bfabes...don't hold your breathe. Curtis Painter is going to light up our defensive secondary. Our pass rush virtually doesn't even exist and Painter is hitting on all cylinders right now. IMHO, Painter is better than the four QB's we've seen put together.

HC...very true statement. It doesn't matter what QB is in there as long as he is getting hit two steps into his three step drop.

The only difference would be Mustain taking sacks instead of Clausen. No QB on the face of the Earth would have success playing behind the ND O-line that was on the field the last 4 games.

Actually there would have been no difference as Mustain wouldn't have been eligible for this year anyway. Unless of course you mean had he come to ND instead of Arkansas, but you could say that about a lot of players.

What if Reggie Bush had chosen ND instead of USC

Guest lyonhawk

Does anyone else think it's really sad that Charlie turned away the No. 1 QB recruit in the country in Mustain to keep his word to Zach and DJ who both have since left the team?

Does anyone else think it's really sad that Charlie turned away the No. 1 QB recruit in the country in Mustain to keep his word to Zach and DJ who both have since left the team?

With the soap opera that Mustain has created, I for one, am kind of glad he didn't come. I would much rather have JC than him.

I don't think it's bad, I just think that Charlie is learning a lesson. He put too much faith in a pair of 18 year olds. Not to mention, he can use it to his advantage in future recruiting. It brings credibility when he's in a prospects living room. Not just flapping his mouth (Urban), but he can point and say look...I told these two that I would not recruit another QB and I turned away the number one guy in the land to keep that promise. Zach and DJ didn't give him that same respect back, but again, it brings recruiting credibility to Weis.

no disrespect jedi, but this whole thread is just plain foolish. It wasn't going to matter if Sharpley, Clausen, Montana, or Peyton Manning were our QB, we were not going to win any of the first 4 games. We've been completely destroyed in every single contest and its barely getting better. We've gotten to the point that we are actually celebrating scoring 2 offensive touchdowns in 1 game. It wasn't going to matter who the QB was because we were still gonna have a God-awful line, a pourous defense, and crappy special teams. Anybody can sit there and play the 'what if' card, but it doesn't get you anywhere. What if Mustain had come to ND? What if we didn't get left at the alter by all of last years recruits? It doesn't matter. These are the chips we've been dealt and until our coaches get their shit together, the players start playing ball and being held accoutable, and the team unites, we won't beat a high school team say anything about any D-1 team.