Someone has to go under the Bus

Ray Herring

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i throw CW under the bus. you can say all you want about TW not having a good '04 and '05 recruiting class but our OL has a four year starter at center, a freshman all-american, two juniors that are now in their third year in the program and a bunch of highly touted sophmores. it time these players step up and because they haven't is all CW fault, he has not prepared them very well and their basic fundamentals are not very good. i blame CW and john latina four our 0-4 start.

The only problem I have with the team is the o-line and the play calling sometimes. I think with every other problem that is on this team is from still not having enough talent. I think a problem with o-line is that during practice they are not going against good players on the d-line.

The kids are reeling and someone has to take the fall.

Unfortunately, in the world of sports, thats how it goes.

Based off another thread (the blog about hanging w/ Double D at MSU game)....toss Double D under there, his head may be big enough to dewheel the bus. Disappointing.

Weis's biggest problem is that he doesnt trust anyone. He's way too involved with the mundane things that assistants should be handling.

Just hand off the small things like fundamentals to the coaches. Let them sink or swim and fire their butt if they fail.

Right now I cant tell where the assistants start and where Weis ends. Lack of delegation will destroy any team.

Guest AtlantaIrish

I hate to be negative but the O-line has hurt us more than anything. With so many young skill players it is killing us that our QB doesn't have time to throw the ball and make adjustments. Watch a team like West Virginia, or even Georgia now (their O-line is way younger and less experienced than ours but they are coming together and not allowing their QB to get hit every play) and you will see just how bad the comparison is to ND. I really thought they would be a strong group this year but they have been by far the biggest disappointment.

The biggest bright stop for me is the young guys and the secondary this year. Guys like Tate, Aldridge, Hughes, Allen, Parris, West, Neal, Brian Smith, Clausen are going to be studs in the near future. The foundation is there with the young guys, it's up to the coaching staff to motivate and coach them up as much as possible.

Guest gallup21

i wont throw anyone under the bus...except for DJ because of Subwaydomers chat, and the way he handled the transferring saying Weis misled him. Weis is still the Irish head coach last time i checked. I won't throw him under the bus...and the highly touted sophomores and frosh AA cant be used. Wasnt Reuland a 6.0 on rivals? Yeatman was a 3 star if im not mistaken. College is different from HS, and the HS rankings are based on the kids in HS. I'll wait four years till i see the great catches. Weis just hasn't been around enough..and when Urban Crier pulls away people, it just sets of a negative recruiting tone. I think he's doing a fine job recruiting wise (i know no one said vice versa but im just saying), and i think hes done a good job as the head coach. He's earned his stripes with the Nasty talk and the 2 consecutive BCS bids. now its time for the players to step up on the field...hell, he cant play so they should be showing up on the field.

And Matt's right, the OL is where it all starts

If anyone needs to go, its Latina. I know he has a nice resume and his experience says he knows what he's doing , but it doesn't show. For some reason, these kids just aren't getting the message he's sending and they are playing like it. They play confused and passive and that mentality comes from the position coach, not the head coach. It is not CW's job to coach the offensive line, thats Latina's job and its not getting done.

Another guy I'm not too happy with is the WR coach, Ianello I think. I understand he's a great recruiter, but as a position coach, I don't get the same feeling. Our receivers, for the three years, just don't know how to get open. If you think about it, Shark and Sto weren't open that often, they just won the jump balls. There is a skill to getting open, its just not speed. Our receivers don't run good patterns, they don't seem to come back to the QB when he's in trouble, and they don't position there bodies well in efforts to get open and make the catch. They seem to have decent hands, but they have to learn how to get open for their QB, he's getting killed.

Another guy I'm not too happy with is the WR coach, Ianello I think. I understand he's a great recruiter, but as a position coach, I don't get the same feeling. Our receivers, for the three years, just don't know how to get open. If you think about it, Shark and Sto weren't open that often, they just won the jump balls. There is a skill to getting open, its just not speed. Our receivers don't run good patterns, they don't seem to come back to the QB when he's in trouble, and they don't position there bodies well in efforts to get open and make the catch. They seem to have decent hands, but they have to learn how to get open for their QB, he's getting killed.

Comon now, ND had nearly 4 guys get 1000 yards in the first 2 years under Weis, and not one of those guys had gamebreaking speed. You dont get that many catches and yards from just "jump balls".

And ND could have NFL WRs right now, it wouldnt help that much because the routes just dont have the time to develop.

I leave ianello alone. I do really lean with th Lantino guys. I am going with polean now. Special teams was taken away and given to everyone. . His Dad at colts is a good friend of weis but if his son can't produce then off with his head.

Comon now, ND had nearly 4 guys get 1000 yards in the first 2 years under Weis, and not one of those guys had gamebreaking speed. You dont get that many catches and yards from just "jump balls".

And ND could have NFL WRs right now, it wouldnt help that much because the routes just dont have the time to develop.

I beg to differ, if you go back and watch the games, I would bet that only 25% of their yards were after the catch. Just to clear something up, I understand that Ianello is an asset to the program and would be a great recruiting coordinator - I just don't think he is a good position coach.

Here's something to think about, if is such a great position coach - Why can't we recruit receivers ?

Last time I checked Kamara was a pretty good recruit, so is Tate, as well as Jackson.

Clearly it hasnt been all studs, but its not like these guys are scrubs.

And ND WR stats are pretty impressive considering that ND isnt a pass happy offence like some schools.

How many teams over the last 2 years have had 3 WR with with 1000+ yards, 1 with 900, and then still able to have a guy rush for over 1000 yards both seasons, not many!

Last time I checked Kamara was a pretty good recruit, so is Tate, as well as Jackson.

Absolutely, there are good recruits, and may even turn out to be great players, but none of these kids strike fear in an opposing defense. With as much as we throw the football, and with the caliber of QB's we have recruited - there has to be a reason why we haven't been able to recruit elite receivers. I personally think that its because they don't develop WR's very well at ND. Its not to say that we haven't had any good receivers, but we don't seem to develop them into great receivers, and I think that the elite highschool receivers notice this and that is why we have trouble landing them.

I am watching the first half of the MSU game on Comcast Sportsnet now.

If you want to really get excited about our future, watch that 1st half again.

Other than Price's bad punt, our future looks VERY bright!!!!

I'm not gonna watch the second half. I just want to remember that 1st for awhile.

How do you know they dont strike fear? They are true FR and a SO that have barely been thrown at.

And I dont get where you are coming from when WRs catch 60+ balls for 1000+ yards are underdeveloped :?:

Last year isn't going to do anything for us this year.

Obviously, but worrying about the WR at ND instead of the OL is like someone worrying about being late for dinner after destroying their car in a crash.

How do you know they dont strike fear? They are true FR and a SO that have barely been thrown at.

And I dont get where you are coming from when WRs catch 60+ balls for 1000+ yards are underdeveloped :?:

Last year isn't going to do anything for us this year.

Obviously, but worrying about the WR at ND instead of the OL is like someone worrying about being late for dinner after destroying their car in a crash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm worried about both. I think I started driving the "fire Latina" bus, and I'm not stopping now.

But for us to think that out OL is the only problem we have is a little niave. On the few occasions that our OL does protect JC, no one is open.