why is our secondary horrible

notredomer23

A lot of people lately are saying our secondary is horrible. here are the stats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11-24 135 MSU

11-24 121 GT

17-32 144 PSU

13-22 85 UM

52-102- 485 Season

those are the overall stats from this season of the opposing QBs. Anything but horrible. Take out Lambert and put in McNeil and Wooden and put in Gray(if he was healthy), Imagine how good our secondary would be. Why is everyone saying our secondary is horrible. Thats about 53% passing and about 121 yards a game, much much better than last season.

personally, I'm not all that pumped about giving up 3 TDs to a true freshman making his first start, and another 4, at home, to a player named Brian Hoyer that is probably just happy to be playing D-1 football.

Doesn't anyone realize all the obscure, irrelevant players that have career days against us? Especially QBs. I feel like I'm watching Pat Dillingham have the game of his life week after week when we get embarrased by players that make the rest of the nation sit back and say "who?!?"

Guest bluester2000
personally, I'm not all that pumped about giving up 3 TDs to a true freshman making his first start, and another 4, at home, to a player named Brian Hoyer that is probably just happy to be playing D-1 football.

Doesn't anyone realize all the obscure, irrelevant players that have career days against us? Especially QBs. I feel like I'm watching Pat Dillingham have the game of his life week after week when we get embarrased by players that make the rest of the nation sit back and say "who?!?"

From MSU's website re: Hoyer -

"Participated in the 2004 Ohio All-Star Classic and the July 24 Ohio-Pennsylvania Big 33 All-Star Game . . . PrepStar All-American . . . ranked among the nation's top 20 pro-style quarterbacks by Rivals.com (No. 14) . . . named to PrepStar's, Prep Football Report's and SuperPrep's All-Midwest Teams . . . listed among the Midwest's top prospects by Prep Football Report (No. 28) and SuperPrep (No. 49) . . . rated among Ohio's top 20 seniors by Rivals.com (No. 16) . . . compiled a 16-7 record (.696) as a two-year starter for Coach Chuck Kyle at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland . . . Associated Press Division I honorable mention all-state selection as a senior . . . selected to the Northeast Lakes All-District Team . . . completed 158-of-281 throws (.562) for 2,570 yards, 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 2003 while leading the Wildcats to a 9-3 record . . . threw for 318 yards (17 of 38) and four scores vs. Columbus St. Francis DeSales . . . named USA Today Prep Player of the Week after passing for 273 yards and three TDs in a 56-29 victory over Shaker Heights . . . hit 17-of-27 passes for a season-high 375 yards vs. Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep . . . threw for 272 yards and four TDs vs. Westerville North in the 2003 season opener . . . connected on 131-of-263 passes (.498) for 2,130 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs in 2002 . . ."

According to Scout offers from places like Maryland and South Carolina. More highly ranked (Scout) than Tennessee starter Erik Ainge and Purdue starter Curtis Painter. Probably not "just happy" to be in DI football.

Morelli was the #3 QB of 2004 and a 5* recruit.

Mallett was the #2 QB of 2007 and a 5* recruit.

Bennett is the only real "stiff" we've faced. And having Tashard Choice in your backfield helps.

Now if Painter, Matt Ryan (BC), and Thaddeus Lewis (Duke) put up those numbers on us I'll be concerned.

Our secondary isn't that bad, their biggest problem is a lack of consistency in putting pressue on opposing QB's, they have to cover receivers too long.

I feel like we might have some sort of answer with Brian Smith and Kerry Neal getting some serious time this week on passing downs...these two are the real deal and hopefully get to see the field much more often.

Now if Painter, Matt Ryan (BC), and Thaddeus Lewis (Duke) put up those numbers on us I'll be concerned.

Curtis Painter absolutely lit us up last year...expect nothing different this year. BC is WAY better than we are right now and our defense will again become tired midway through the third quarter...expect Matt Ryan to have a big day.

Thaddeus Lewis put up some points last weekend...against NAVY. We won't lose to either Duke or Navy. So, in summary, two out of those three QB's are going to light us up. Better start getting concerned there Bluester.

Oour Secondary is ok, but the reason why those numbers look reasonably good is because, as someone else said, we haven't faced a decent QB yet, and you forget everyone has been running all over us. Why allow a bad QB to possibly turn it over when they can just run the ball through us?

From MSU's website re: Hoyer -

"Participated in the 2004 Ohio All-Star Classic and the July 24 Ohio-Pennsylvania Big 33 All-Star Game . . . PrepStar All-American . . . ranked among the nation's top 20 pro-style quarterbacks by Rivals.com (No. 14) . . . named to PrepStar's, Prep Football Report's and SuperPrep's All-Midwest Teams . . . listed among the Midwest's top prospects by Prep Football Report (No. 28) and SuperPrep (No. 49) . . . rated among Ohio's top 20 seniors by Rivals.com (No. 16) . . . compiled a 16-7 record (.696) as a two-year starter for Coach Chuck Kyle at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland . . . Associated Press Division I honorable mention all-state selection as a senior . . . selected to the Northeast Lakes All-District Team . . . completed 158-of-281 throws (.562) for 2,570 yards, 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 2003 while leading the Wildcats to a 9-3 record . . . threw for 318 yards (17 of 38) and four scores vs. Columbus St. Francis DeSales . . . named USA Today Prep Player of the Week after passing for 273 yards and three TDs in a 56-29 victory over Shaker Heights . . . hit 17-of-27 passes for a season-high 375 yards vs. Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep . . . threw for 272 yards and four TDs vs. Westerville North in the 2003 season opener . . . connected on 131-of-263 passes (.498) for 2,130 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs in 2002 . . ."

According to Scout offers from places like Maryland and South Carolina. More highly ranked (Scout) than Tennessee starter Erik Ainge and Purdue starter Curtis Painter. Probably not "just happy" to be in DI football.

Morelli was the #3 QB of 2004 and a 5* recruit.

Mallett was the #2 QB of 2007 and a 5* recruit.

Bennett is the only real "stiff" we've faced. And having Tashard Choice in your backfield helps.

thats all well and dandy bluester, I see your points. In truth Hoyer does have some talent and he showed that against us. However I'd be willing to bet 90% of our fans didn't know who the MSU QB was coming into this game after the graduation of Drew Stanton. This kid is not Drew Stanton. He played a good game against us and had a career game that will probably be his best of the season. I'm sick of seeing unknown player after unknown player have career days against ND's defense. Thats been a habit the last 4-5 years. Yes, Morelli and Mallett were both highly ranked players coming out of high school. Morelli was also labeled a major disappointment coming into this senior year, just trying to fulfill some of that potential. Mallett meanwhile was still making his first career start in college, and altho he has much better talent and help than Jimmy Clausen has, he still immensely outplayed him and made the throws when he needed to. And yes, Painter and Matt Ryan are going to completely light us up. If I'm their coaches, I don't even attempt to run the ball. Just run the same offense that Charlie ran against BYU in 2005. They'll throw for at least 10 TDs combined on us. Its going to be ugly.

Nobody has to throw the ball on us.....we give up 300 yards on the ground so why throw against us?

The deceiving thing about these stats are the crucial throws......it seems that whenever teams need to make a play in the air against us they complete it.

It's true, why run when you can have a field day, well, ON the field?

And tell me, what sets up play action better than extreme success in the running game?

It's true, or at least it seems, that teams are getting big pass plays when they need them.

I think it's more a direct result of the run success of our opponents.

Can somebody please tell me why A. Wooden is still playing the receiver?

Is this guy ever going to know where his player is AND be able to play the QB?

That's how Walls got his pick.

Our secondary isn't that bad, their biggest problem is a lack of consistency in putting pressue on opposing QB's, they have to cover receivers too long.

I feel like we might have some sort of answer with Brian Smith and Kerry Neal getting some serious time this week on passing downs...these two are the real deal and hopefully get to see the field much more often.

Those two were truly the bright spot for me in that game.

I got very excited watching Kerry fire in on Hoyer. Smith is very nice too, but Mr. Neal is gonna be a legitimate talent for years at ND.