Improvement!!

MikejND

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very happy with the team. It was tough watching the second half, but we are getting better. I hate what the announcers said about not pounding our guys in practice every week. I don't care if guys are banged up or hurt, because an injury will not change the outcome of the game this year. We are ultimately playing for next year, so do a crash course in gaining experience at full speed this season, if we win some games, fantastic; but I don't care about winning this year. We will realistically win 4 or 5, 6 if we are lucky, which would be nice. As far as being banged up, the boys have all year to recover for next season. This season is a forgone conclusion, so we have to use it to get our younger guys lots of experience and a solid foundation for the future. Anybody who is pissed off about our production or thinks there will see significant improvements that can allow us to beat USC or BC, needs to lower their expectations, because they aren't realistic. Take this year for what it is...Practicing for a BCS/Championship run for next year.

It was great to see we have a power running game. Now, we need to add some 3 step drop plays and improve the line that much more. If we can add screens to the package, that would be fantastic. If we can get a handle on all of that, draws would be nice. Once our guys get a grasp of all of those plays and are actually good at running them, we might be able to return to the passing game we knew under Quinn. Until then, I will be happy to see our playbook slowly expand.

Also, we really need help at WR and our O-line needs more time. Other than that, I think we will be awesome next year. Think about Oklahoma the past couple of years. They are finally seeing the fruits of their O-line becoming more seasoned. Fortunately, they had Adrian Peterson to help minimize the damage, but OU is just now getting back to the team they used to be.

I was very happy with the team. It was tough watching the second half, but we are getting better. I hate what the announcers said about not pounding our guys in practice every week. I don't care if guys are banged up or hurt, because an injury will not change the outcome of the game this year. We are ultimately playing for next year, so do a crash course in gaining experience at full speed this season, if we win some games, fantastic; but I don't care about winning this year. We will realistically win 4 or 5, 6 if we are lucky, which would be nice. As far as being banged up, the boys have all year to recover for next season. This season is a forgone conclusion, so we have to use it to get our younger guys lots of experience and a solid foundation for the future. Anybody who is pissed off about our production or thinks there will see significant improvements that can allow us to beat USC or BC, needs to lower their expectations, because they aren't realistic. Take this year for what it is...Practicing for a BCS/Championship run for next year.

It was great to see we have a power running game. Now, we need to add some 3 step drop plays and improve the line that much more. If we can add screens to the package, that would be fantastic. If we can get a handle on all of that, draws would be nice. Once our guys get a grasp of all of those plays and are actually good at running them, we might be able to return to the passing game we knew under Quinn. Until then, I will be happy to see our playbook slowly expand.

Also, we really need help at WR and our O-line needs more time. Other than that, I think we will be awesome next year. Think about Oklahoma the past couple of years. They are finally seeing the fruits of their O-line becoming more seasoned. Fortunately, they had Adrian Peterson to help minimize the damage, but OU is just now getting back to the team they used to be.

Good post and I agree 100%!

good post wave, but I highly doubt we are making a run at a national title next year. Maybe in 2009, but this team still needs alot of help and talent infusion. I'm not unrealistic, I expect the ass whupping we are going to get from USC and many other teams. But the thing that is disheartening is that we aren't really improving. Yes, we ran the ball better today but we still had what, 15 plays of negative yardage? Its ridiculous. Our passing game is nonexistent, and we should at least be tolerable. Our pass defense is still awful, our pass rush is nonexistent, and play calling is horrendous. I could handle mistakes if they were aggressive mistakes, instead we see run high school type plays and just get dominated in the process. I'd rather see Jimmy throw an INT 20 yards downfield than the bullshit we're seeing out there. I realize we need to have better Oline play still but god, we don't take any chances or shots down the field. Each and every week the commentators say "its not all on Jimmy Clausen" but didn't Charlie make it a point to play the guy that would make plays and not be a caretaker? The offense we're running right now should be run be Sharpley. Jimmy simply can't be a playmaker until Weis starts letting him play and do his thing. Spread the field, put him in shotgun, let him wing it. I'm sick of the ground oriented game plans, because teams are still stacking the box and stopping our offense. Might as well get some VALUABLE experience and not go through the motions. Ugh

I agree then NC run wont be possible until 2009, just too many holes to fill still.

I was saying Gator bowl victory this season but now i will be realistic. We win the gator bowl next year going 10-3 or 9-4, IMO. 2009 we start off the season in the top ten and play like number one, we play great. If we atleast dont win a BCS bowl or make it to a NC is then and only then i will start to be disappointed in Weis

Guest rocketsan22

1. The O-Line is the worst I think I have ever seen (this includes Canadian University ball). I invite others to rewatch and look for blown assignments up the yin yang. I was especially surprised at how many times the right tackle whiffed.

2. Why doesn't Kamara get the ball more? I think he only caught one ball in the fourth quarter.

3. What was with Charlie? He was frothing at the mouth...

Hey! At least there was SOMETHING to get excited about today. Having the TE slide in and lead opened up some decent holes today. Luke Schmidt shocked me that he can catch! Grimes made Clausen look good a couple of times. Every team knows our O-line has puppy paws right now but in 2 years those puppy paws will be attached to some pretty big and ticked off junkyard dawgs! We'll get there.I was ready to make sashimi out of Lil Tuna last week but we did improve so let's all sit back , relax and enjoy our tailgates for the rest of the year and next year will be better.

Take this year for what it is...Practicing for a BCS/Championship run for next year.

You are absolutely delusional if you think we will get to a BCS game or a NC next year! Delusional!

We are at least 2 more years away from even being a top 10 team. We simply have too many holes to fill and not enough talent yet. It will take at least 2 more top 5 recruiting classes in order to infuse enough talent into the team in order to compete on that level.

Do you even watch any other teams play? Look at the talent level of USC, LSU, FLA, and OKL.....we have a LONG way to go before we will be on that level.

1.) You never know on the BCS. Why would that be delusional? 2.) The whole national championship was mentioned out of obligation. I didn't want to shortchange us and then get jumped for it, but I agree. We have a 1% chance at the title next year. BCS is not totally out of the question, though. 3.) Is it me, or does clausen still appear to be injured? He is not gunning the ball. It just doesn't appear to be getting there.

Take this year for what it is...Practicing for a BCS/Championship run for next year.

You are absolutely delusional if you think we will get to a BCS game or a NC next year! Delusional!

We are at least 2 more years away from even being a top 10 team. We simply have too many holes to fill and not enough talent yet. It will take at least 2 more top 5 recruiting classes in order to infuse enough talent into the team in order to compete on that level.

Do you even watch any other teams play? Look at the talent level of USC, LSU, FLA, and OKL.....we have a LONG way to go before we will be on that level.

I agree that the team wont be BCS ready next year, but the talent gap isnt nearly as much as you think.

Look what Weis did in his first year, he was ONE play away from going to the NC game with Ty's players, and all Ty had was one really good class.

Guest NDgirl09
I referenced this in another thread, but I think it's worth repeating: Kerry Neal looked GREAT in spots on the pass rush and I thought Bryan Smith played well too. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of them from here on out.

i agree completely. They both were doing so well out there. Bruton was doing more than his share of work out there today. At one point the annoncer (in the stadium) said..."Bruton on the tackle...again" and i just laughed, because it was true.

Kamara needs to be a 1st team WR IMO. Grimes made some great catches. If we had an O-line we'd be able to air it to Carlson, but, we have to use him to block since our line can't do it themselves. Golden Tate will run one back this year, either him or AA will.

I agree that the team wont be BCS ready next year, but the talent gap isnt nearly as much as you think.

Look what Weis did in his first year, he was ONE play away from going to the NC game with Ty's players, and all Ty had was one really good class.

agreed. I think if every single commit in this class+Floyd and or Baldwin sign with us, we will be a good team next year(atleast competitive).