Optimistic Hope for the Season

crouchingjedi

Alright everybody--it's been a tough 3 weeks. We have some major problems and we all know it. No offensive TDs, morale is down, no leadership, blah blah blah. I am trying to turn the corner emotionally and wanted to transfer a vision of hope I have for the rest of the season. I realize this is plenty optimistic given our current circumstances, but let's give it a go anyway:

Current: 0-3 after getting spanked at Michigan. Team hits rock bottom. Starting QB for the opening game leaves the team and school, Weis at a loss and implements training camp mentality for the week. Every position is open again.

Sept 22: ND 20, MSU 16 Win (1-3)

It's ugly, but we eek out a win. We give up a safety but make adjustments. We score a defensive or ST touchdown to keep it close, but in typical MSU game fashion, our (first of the year) offensive TD wins it in the last minute. Defense is looking better.

Sept 29: ND 28 Purdue 24 Win (2-3)

Against a pass heavy offense the ND secondary proves itself to be the heart of the team and D with 3 INTs. The offense shows signs of life and moves the ball somewhat consistently.

Oct 6: UCLA 21 ND 20 Loss (2-4)

A defensive struggle until the end, the Bruins get their revenge this year and avoid last minute heroics by JC and co.

Oct 13: ND 27 BC 17 Win (3-4)

ND secondary confuses and crushes Matt Ryan's Heisman bid as the Irish beat a ranked opponent for the first time since 2005. Corwin Brown is getting credit for putting the D back in ND.

Oct 20: USC 28 ND 24 Loss (3-5)

CW has another "signature loss" as the offense shows resiliance but comes up short. Looking at the remaining at the progress of the team and the remaining 4 games fans point to week 4s "training camp" as the turning point.

Nov 3: ND 28 Navy 13 Win (4-5)

The streak is alive!

Nov 10: ND 30 AF 17 Win (5-5)

The offense is beginning to look solid and JC is gaining confidence and leadership of his offense.

Nov 17: ND 41 Duke 0 (6-5)

Clausen throws for 5 TDs and the team has its most complete performance of the year. People wonder what this team would have done against GT, PSU and Mich

Nov 24: ND 38 Stanford 22 (7-5)

Sloppy by late-season standards the performance is good enough to win comfortably with a late TD to put the game away.

Dec 28: ND vs. ? WIN (8-5)

The Irish end the bowl losing streak and look to 08 with hope as they look to return 16 starters many of whom have at least 2 yrs of eligibility remaining. Most of all the name Ty Willingham will not have to be brought up as a comparison for the rest of Weis' career.

ANyone else with a hopeful vision?

Oct 20: USC 28 ND 24 Loss (3-5)

CW has another "signature loss" as the offense shows resiliance but comes up short. Looking at the remaining at the progress of the team and the remaining 4 games fans point to week 4s "training camp" as the turning point.

i think this is very optimistic.

i think this weeks game vs MSU will be our best yet, not saying ND will go on a scoring spree but will be a noticable improvement. i think CW opening up a position battle for everyone will bring out the best in the team this week in practice.

I consider myself as rationally optomistic as anyone, but if ND loses to USC by less than 20 I will dance the jig naked in the middle of Times Square.

I wouldn't have said that at the start of the year, but I can't believe it'll be that close after seeing what has happened the first 3 weeks.

Can't say I would look forward to the jig performance, but I sure am hoping for a competitive game.

I wish I could say the scenario above was based on logic but it is nothing of the sort-more like picks from the heart. By "hopeful" what I meant was a state of mind (read crossing fingers, biting nails, on knees praying) rather than an expectation.

CrouchingJedi,

Nice writeup. By the way, there is some land down here in Florida that I would like to sell you. Just forward the money, any amount will do, and I will secure it for you.

Are you for real? My wife and are still undecided on either Arizona or Florida. What would five acres be going for? :o

Guest Timbo1599

I love the optimism. Unfortunately, after watching the game last weekend I can't share it with you. At the beginning of the year, I thought they would go 8-4, after GT I thought, 7-5, now I'm thinking 5-7 AT BEST.

Honestly...they could go 4-8 on the season as long as they show improvement in every game going forward. All I really want right now is an offensive touchdown...just show me some offensive life and I will be happy!

Another great thing about this season is that we are going to get anyone who is close to playing next year some valuable time on the field this year, thus gaining some much needed experience against good competition. I have confidence that we will continue to grow throughout the season. As fans we have to look at the positives...no more 6 person senior classes, no more freshmen and sophomores forced to play with no prior collegexperience....it will get better, and it will all be worth these "growing pains."

Guest irishrick

looks like another loss for the Irish to me after watching their game film, i just hope we can see big improvement in the team , a win would be nice but iam looking for improvement all around. what say you. Go Irish .

looks like another loss for the Irish to me after watching their game film, i just hope we can see big improvement in the team , a win would be nice but iam looking for improvement all around. what say you. Go Irish .

I have to agree with you, Irishrick. As much as I would love to see an Irish victory on Saturday, I would be happy with just a little improvement. I just want to feel like we still have a slim chance by halftime! :D

Based off of the performance, leadership, and development over the first 3 games, I am hoping and praying that we can pull out a few squeakers over Navy, Army, and Duke....I don't see us beating the other teams on our schedule. Not trying to be negative but right now I just don't see it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong!

Well I appreciate your optimism, a lot of thost scores are just that. We're not going to come within 4 points of USC. We couldn't do it last year with a great team and we can't do it this year with a young team that has no heart or fire.

Sparty's Sparty. They always find a way to tank, but we're at home where they seem to like beating us. Boston College builds their whole season around trying to beat us when they're on the schedule, so I'm sure they're going to be ready.

Other than that? Who knows. Maybe you're right.

Improvement is the overall goal here definitely. I think we can all agree my original post is a best case scenario. Ultimately what would make me happy is overall improvement, game after game, playing the best available players at each position which presumably means underclassmen. That's ultimately the kind of picture I was trying to create.

Still, a few surprise wins would be nice!!!

You had me believing right up until the Purdue game ...

the ND secondary proves itself to be the heart of the team and D with 3 INTs.

At that point I could no longer suspend disbelief. I am as optimistic as anyone, and as bad a prognosticator as anyone, but even I am not this optimistic.

Honestly, i dont care about finishing about .500 right now, this season will be a success if we can win atleast 5 games, get the offense gelling by the end of the year and have a ton of momentum for next year, if we win 6 and make it to a crappy bowl and win it then that would be greater but right now, just improvement from game to game, being competitive, and seeing this team play together will do for me.....and yes it pains me to say that would be a successful season at ND..... :cry: