WOW...A Juicy (and Depressing) Writeup

Guest TonySpilotro

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me once when Weis has thrown his team under the bus! Seriously! Weis developed Ty's undeveloped players and those guys said how much easier it was to be in Weis' system, how much more it made sense. This article seems quite baseless. Anybody can see we have a young team. As far as Jones, he was poison for this team. Good riddance to the unprofessional, cowardly little punk. Take a lesson from Zach Frazer. This team is fine. I happened to run into one of those '66 Natl Champ LBs the other day at the Airport. He loves Weis. We have to remember that the guys writing these stories are looking for any angle to sell their story, and when you hit rock bottom, they don't want to beat the same drum or stay on the band wagon... They look for new ways to sell their crap.

This article is garbage and almost on the verge of bending the truth. What coach wouldn't go crazy on a team who couldn't produce. They're grown men now, I think they can handle it; heck, they've been yelled out during high school football too. It's nothing new to them.

I don't think the author of the article really sells this team short. He makes it seem like they're a bunch of little 8th graders, playing flag football. They can take the "lambasting," trust me.

this explains a lot if it is true. I sit and think about he games and realized that it's not like most teams where a few key players make huge mistakes over and over again. every snap a different player makes a mistake, especially the fitfth yr guys.

If I were CW i would not change the way i call plays but i would either talk to Ara and Lou and have them script how he reacts to players...or maybe hire lou as an assistant coach. to have his fire and motivating spirit back in the program would be great.

CW should try changing how he talks to the team...maybe he should try opening up and sharing a part of himslef witht he team and spend time building up a buch of players in front of the entire team. He doens;t have to mean any of it, he can memeorize a script and put vapo rub under his eyes to make him cry. Either way, this team is failing to execute because they are a bunch of individuals not a team. If i were weis i would get a bus and take the entire team to a team dinner at medievil times in chicago some night this week...they can study film on the bus...or maybe CW should just try dressing like a rapper or somthing like that. he should definately have LOU HOLTZ on the pay roll. Get him into the day to day operatons of the team. i've got a few buddies who played under ty and cw and for some reason this doenst suprise me. W/out a starting qb during spring ball ans summer practice the team had noone to unite them...CW appears to unite players against him which cam make them a strong unit, but it usually take a long time to happen. BQ had a few yrs of ty's golf trips and horrible seasons to bond the team together.

I don't know why he doesn't allow old players to practice? I've met som eof the lder palyes and they are funny, and its not like we hav OJ as an alum. I was hoping that the team would rally around corwin.

CW knows the x's and o's...i never thought i would say this but the poodle knows how to keep things loose and positive, they show up to play games almost ever week...that is not just talent as we can see.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW LOU HOLTZ...CAN THEY GET HIM TO TALK TO THE TEAM EVEN IF WEIS DOENT KNOW ABOUT IT?

You know how Weis gets his teams back? Start playing the underclassmen.

They are chomping at the bit to get a crack at the starting line-up this year. Maybe they might appreciate it more than the upperclassmen who were handed their jobs due to lack of competition.

Biggest problem with this team is that there are no leaders. I would strip the captains of their title and give it to someone who might actually inspire someone.

Guest NDstud21

I would take every word of this article with a grain of salt. It definitely seems like the author has an agenda.

Weis is always inviting back old players and coaches to speak at the pep rallys and speak to the players. And if that's true about Prister and Sampson it's clear that they're only in it to make a buck. They definitely seem like fair-weather fans; if you can even call them fans.

NDJoe, good points, not that I agree with all of them, but well done. After playing multiple team sports for many years, I can tell you one thing - it ain't about playing for the coaches.

This team should be playing for each other, regardless how they feel about the coaching staff. Like said above, this team has no leaders. The leaders on the team need to find a way to get the guys to play the way they need to. These kids should be leaving there guts out there because they know the guy next to them is doing the same.

To me this team looks soft, they have no heart. I would guess that they have never had a skirmish in practice. They appear they are not willing to fight, not with each other, and certainly not with the opposition.

I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you put all the underclassman in and make the upperclassman fight for a job. Maybe you take the team in a helicopter, drop them in the middle of Montana and say the first 22 guys back are the starters.

NDJoe, good points, not that I agree with all of them, but well done. After playing multiple team sports for many years, I can tell you one thing - it ain't about playing for the coaches.

This team should be playing for each other, regardless how they feel about the coaching staff. Like said above, this team has no leaders. The leaders on the team need to find a way to get the guys to play the way they need to. These kids should be leaving there guts out there because they know the guy next to them is doing the same.

To me this team looks soft, they have no heart. I would guess that they have never had a skirmish in practice. They appear they are not willing to fight, not with each other, and certainly not with the opposition.

I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you put all the underclassman in and make the upperclassman fight for a job. Maybe you take the team in a helicopter, drop them in the middle of Montana and say the first 22 guys back are the starters.

Really good ideas. Building comaraderie within competition. As a former military person and life long team player, this works. Even in most work places.

Garbage article! I am now dumber for having read it! I would say bad intel! Jones is a little cry baby! Good ridance!

Well, here is one for you to think about for a while...Jones was quoted as saying that everyone got an equal chance at the starting job during camp and won it...that doesn't sound like a cry baby to me.

As for his transfer to NIU, that's fine...he wouldn't have played for ND with JC and DC looking to be the QBs of the future. What's the harm.

The concern from this article should be the way he has failed to connect with his players...if he can't do that, he had better have a few assistants who can, and those assistants had better not undercut CW, otherwise the team will be gone for good.

WE ALL KNEW THIS YEAR WOULD BE A STRUGGLE...DON'T LET THE NATIONAL MEDIA AND THE GUY ACROSS THE HALL BOTHER YOU WITH IT...THIS IS A TEAM BUILT FOR 2008 AND BEYOND.

JUST DON'T LOSE ANY OF THESE RECRUITS.

Guest lyonhawk

The problem with Jones is not that he transferred. I don't think anyone would hold that against him. The problem is the fact that if he truly did say that about there being more drama, then he is a selfish little kid who wanted to get back at Charlie for benching him. Zach Frazer knew he wasn't going to play for ND so he transferred and handled it with class. Demetrius Jones had to make it all about him. As for the rest of the article, if everyone hates Charlie so much, why do all these top-flight recruits keep signing up to play for him?

Guest TonySpilotro

I don't know what to make of the article, it isn't even an ND blog and I don't see any advertising on there. While some of it sounds like BS I don't think any of us would say that it is far-fetched; anything is possible right now. I was alarmed that he referenced the two guys at Irish Illustrated because isn't that a reputable site? I think I've seen other guys on this board speak highly of them. Some of the stuff he said just sounds like it was written by someone who isn't a huge fan of the program, like when he says Charlie threw the team under the bus. Either he doesn't understand the term or has no idea that Charlie has taken all of the blame upon himself.

As far as the guys on the '66 and '73 teams, out of a hundred+ guys on each team you're gonna get some that love Charlie, some in the middle, and some that don't like him.

As far as Jones, we may never know the real story, but the team might as well try to put it behind them right away and hopefully Charlie can find a way to bring them to life. I am worried that this "training camp" week could put them further in the tank if not done carefully, but I guess there weren't many other options for Charlie. We won't find out until Saturday afternoon...my stomach sank when I read that MSU is LEADING THE NATION IN SACKS. Ouch.

I agree with Tony. Who are these guys? I worry about 2007. I care not about 1988 or any thing you can puff up. It's now that counts not back when. I don't want to hear about montanna or 4 horsemen or even Rockne or Ara. The page fliped what is now is now. Let's go

My concern is that if the many on the team knew or suspected DJ was going to bolt.. .that the "leadership" team didn't inform Weis, or Weis couldn't hear, what the leaders are telling him

The leadership team is should be a feedback mechanism to Weis on team psyche. If Weis can't read or grasp the team psychology... he's got big problems.... Corwin should have that radar... the other coaches have been around ... they should have that Radar.

Either the whole team, including coaches, have quit on Charlie... or it really is an effort / execution thing.. in which case beating on the kids and opening it up is an acceptable approach.... if CHarlie has the team still.

If they've quit, or are quitting, then ... he needs to make the game fun again... and get rid of the me-only cancers on the team.

I wrote an article about this on the Home Page of DD. Essentially, had Jones handled it with class, I would feel more sympathy, and actually want to hear what he has to say.

-MW-