It doesn't matter who the coach is

Kid Gloves

I hate to say this but given the direction that college football has gone, it really doesn't matter who's the coach at ND.

Here are some of my reasons why:

1. Most of the big time football talent coming out of high school today are not as concerned about a great education as they used to be. All they are really interested in is being able to play on Sundays, having fun, and being the BMOC. Most could care less about getting a degree.

2. Because of #1, kids are looking to go to warm weather, fun, partying schools that the only requirement to admissions is being able to spell your name right. The want to go to big campuses that simply put the football players on pedastals--not to a 10K student, religious, academically tough university in the middle of South Bend where hot women in bikinis are only seen in magazines (or other campuses!)

3. A lot of the advantages that ND used to have are now gone in today's landscape of CFB:

a. All ND games nationally televised. (Now with cable, directv, etc, you can watch all the games of any team you want)

b. Unlimited scholarships. (Talent now has to be spread out across schools because the big programs can't simply scholly everyone just to keep them from going to other schools)

c. Tradition. (Quite honestly, most young kids could care less about Rudy, Montana, or the Four Horsemen....They want to be where things are happening now, and not where things used to happen back before they were born.)

4. Even if most of the top talent wanted to go to ND, whoever the coach is has to take a pass on them because he knows they won't clear admissions. Holtz knew this. So did Davie. And so did Urban. ND will always be able to get good QB's, TE's, and centers, but let's face it......a lot of the top talent in the country aren't the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to the classroom. I'm not saying they're stupid, but traditionally (proven by the wunderlick test) the smartest players are the QB's, TE's, and O-linemen. The D-Line, WR's, CB's, and RB's usually score the worst. Most of these that can't get into ND are now going to SC, FLA, TEX, every SEC school, etc.

It kills me to see the team I love getting whipped like this! But we just don't have the talent that the other schools have. We are small, slow, weak, and simply outmanned ( save the ocassional exception). Football is a game of speed, quickness, and strength and when we really look at ourselves in comparison to the other top teams, we have none of this.

Please don't give any excuses about "Ty" either! No one on here was critical of CW when he was using Ty's offensive players that were successful and fan fav's - BQ, DW, JS, AF, RM, TZ, etc. They only want to point out the O-line that Ty left bare and not give credit on the other players he brought in. But, with the exception of Jimmy, what other great players has CW brought in? And by great, I mean players that could truly start for teams like USC, FLA, TEX, OKL, LSU? I can't think of a single player that could take a players spot on any of those other teams (maybe Laws).

Given some of these reasons, I think that ND will continue to be a mediocre program that will have one or two really good years every 10 years or so. But to be a dynasty, you have to consistently get the top players year in and year out. Unless things drastically change ND will just not be able to keep up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if this makes you feel any better. Imagine this,,,,,,

Take one High School and start (mostly) only their Freshman (just getting out of 8th grade but did great on their grade school squads) and some sophs, who are still physically filling out and with very little experience.

Now, put them against a good High School team starting mostly seniors, juniors and maybe a soph here and there (because they just happened to be an athletic freak).

That wouldn't even seem fair would it.

Well, that's EXACTLY what we have here.

(Oh, and a bad O line coach!)

Makes ya think, doesn't it???

Take one High School and start (mostly) only their Freshman (just getting out of 8th grade but did great on their grade school squads) and some sophs, who are still physically filling out and with very little experience.

Now, put them against a good High School team starting mostly seniors, juniors and maybe a soph here and there (because they just happened to be an athletic freak).

That is not what we have here! Look at our WR's for example. It doesn't matter how old they are, they are avg speed at best, small and undersized. Look at our LB's. They are slow and not explosive. I don't think anything else needs to be said about our O-Line.....

If we want to be a top eschelon team then we have to compare our athletic talent to the other top teams. I will again ask the question, "With the exception of Jimmy, who else from this team could START for SC, FLA, TEX, LSU, OKL, etc.???"

That proves that we are severely devoid of talent.

We are not devoid of talent. We are devoid of coaching, specifically on the OL. Go ahead and look at Scout and Rivals on the last four recruiting classes for G. Tech and ND. We beat their brains out as far as "stars" are concerned. I know because I don't have a life and I follow recruiting intensely. We HAVE the athletes, but apparently we just don't know what to do with them.

I agree about the LB and DL. The both lack depth and the LB has 1 playmaker in Crum imo.

The OL has enough talent, it may lack some depth but the starters have the potential to make a solid unit.

The WR are almost impossible to guage properly right now, because Weis cant throw the ball the way he would like with the current blocking.

We are not devoid of talent. We are devoid of coaching, specifically on the OL. Go ahead and look at Scout and Rivals on the last four recruiting classes for G. Tech and ND. We beat their brains out as far as "stars" are concerned. I know because I don't have a life and I follow recruiting intensely. We HAVE the athletes, but apparently we just don't know what to do with them.

That may be true in regards to GT, but GT is NOT an elite team. I don't want to just beat GT--I want to compete and beat SC, FLA, LSU, TEX, and OKL!! Don't compare our talent and recruiting stars to GT....you need to compare them to the above mentioned schools if we want to compete for NC's! That is why I said that in regards to these schools we are devoid of talent.

I compared our team to GTech to prove a point...to illustrate that our talent isn't the problem. If it was, then we wouldn't have gotten killed 33-3 at home! We have players who are good enough to beat the GTs, MSUs, PUs, etc of the world, but our coaching is terrible so that is not happening.

I compared our team to GTech to prove a point...to illustrate that our talent isn't the problem. If it was, then we wouldn't have gotten killed 33-3 at home! We have players who are good enough to beat the GTs, MSUs, PUs, etc of the world, but our coaching is terrible so that is not happening.

No we don't. It is not just ESPN saying that. Every college football analyst in the country is saying the same thing. I know we sometimes let our love for ND football blind us to what is really going on, and right now if you go down our team man for man talent-wise we are simply not on par. I do agree with you that coaching has to take a lot of the blame as well, but with the combination of the coaching and the lack of talent it is creating a horrible situation.

That is not what we have here! Look at our WR's for example. It doesn't matter how old they are, they are avg speed at best, small and undersized. Look at our LB's. They are slow and not explosive. I don't think anything else needs to be said about our O-Line.....

If we want to be a top eschelon team then we have to compare our athletic talent to the other top teams. I will again ask the question, "With the exception of Jimmy, who else from this team could START for SC, FLA, TEX, LSU, OKL, etc.???"

That proves that we are severely devoid of talent.

No disrespect to you Kid but that's exactly what we have here and you have pointed out my facts.

Wr's: We can't throw to them because we don't have enough time. I agree we are used to taller WR's but they are not "small" compared to other schools. I have seen separation from them and if the avg. of 4.4 40 is slow, then dang, what's fast??

Second point, we are NOT a top 10 team and noone was expecting it this year. Even though CW will not admit it, WE ALL KNOW THIS IS A REBUILDING YEAR. Noones fooled.

Who else could start? Parris, AA, Hughes and and all the D's frosh just to name a few.

I know, it hurts dude! We are all there with ya!! :cry:

Kid, stop blaming our losses on lack of talent. If you look at the recruiting classes we have brought in the last four years and compare them to GT, PSU, and UM, you will agree that we have equal recruits to the last three teams we have faced. The coaching, however, has been poor. We are not teaching these kids to play top-notch football.

I don't know what else to say

Okay, I must say that our recruiting the last 4 years, we had two bad seasons, and two good seasons. Weis could only be credited for the last 2 and a half years of recruiting. Tyrone is responsible for the other one and a half. The ND senior class has....how many? 6 true seniors on the roster? And the junior class have only mustered 13-14 players and was nowhere near the top 25 in the recruiting world. I think it was more around the 40-50th range. Now, 2006 and 2007, Weis brought in top 10 caliber recruits both years. Unfortunately, they are only freshman and sophomores.

Notre Dame didn't have the year in, year out recruiting that OK, USC, FL, UT, OSU had the last 4 years, so it is HIGHLY unfair to even compare ND to the elite programs of CFB. Now, after this recruiting cycle and the next recruiting cycle (I am guessing ND will have top ten classes again in 2008 and 2009), it will be fair to compare ND to the elite, when a good mix of talent and experience has set in. But now, it shouldn't even cross our minds KidGloves.