Don't Go To Ann Arbor

GoIrish24

From the NDKgreen blog:

http://www.ndkgreen.com/2007/09/ann-arbor-is-whore.html

Ann Arbor Is a Whore... Seriously

By Sean

This is the story of my trip to Ann Arbor for the 2005 Michigan game. I recount it now as a warning to any Irish fans who are considering a trip to this year’s Michigan game.

My boss (a Michigan grad) scored me two tickets at the last minute, so I drove up there with my girlfriend. The drive from South Bend to Ann Arbor was largely uneventful. I was surprised to discover how close ND is to U of M. For some reason I always imagined them being located way up North. As we pulled into Ann Arbor, I thought that it looked like a much larger version of South Bend. It was a similarly dilapidated, nondescript Midwestern town that looked like it had seen better days. We drove around in circles looking for parking. We were extremely lucky to find a spot for $20 at a home located only minutes from the stadium. My girlfriend and I were both wearing Notre Dame jerseys. Big mistake.

The verbal assault began literally before we had shut the car doors behind us. Most Michigan fans were content to hurl obscenities at us from across the street, or from their balconies, but some went further. Several college-aged males openly approached me, placed their faces within six inches of mine, and screamed various insults. Someone hurled an empty beer can at us, which struck a group of students as hilarious and prompted them to start throwing small rocks at us. As the Michigan fans became more openly hostile, I began to fear for my physical safety. My girlfriend was clutching my arm as hard as she could. A college-aged girl ran up to me, poked me hard in the chest, and said “FUCK YOU!” Literally during the entire walk, from car to stadium, the chant “Fuck the Irish” could be heard in the background every few seconds, without pause. We twice witnessed mobs of Michigan fans surrounding vehicles with Notre Dame flags and rocking them back and forth and throwing various objects at them. The passengers were obviously terrified. Some bitch spit at my girlfriend.

I met up with my boss at her Michigan tailgate, but we didn’t have time to hang around. The game was starting soon, so we walked the rest of the way together. My boss and her husband became visibly embarrassed by the conduct of their fellow Michigan fans, who continued to berate my girlfriend and I. That was just awkward. Another student (I presume) approached me and colorfully explained to me why the Irish were going to lose. I replied “just like last year, right?” I thought that was a clever retort, as we had defeated Michigan the year before. My new acquaintance did not think it was very clever, and promptly challenged me to a fight. I’m not sure what would have happened had my boss, wearing her Michigan shirt, not been there and asked him to leave… but I’m pretty sure he was actually planning on attacking me.

We finally arrived at the big house, which is undoubtedly the most poorly designed stadium I have ever been in. The entrances are so narrow that only one or two people can fit through at a time, resulting in massive lines to get in or out. We arrived at the gate with 30 minutes to spare, and we still missed the opening drive.

My first impression of the big house was that it certainly lives up to its name. It’s enormous, and you can really feel a sense of history not unlike the feeling you get at Notre Dame. Unfortunately for Michigan, the stadium’s design doesn’t trap noise very well. It’s so flat that you can almost see the noise bouncing upward and out of the stadium. My suspicions were confirmed, and I can tell you that the big house is even quieter than the pathetically quiet Notre Dame stadium. Never have 100,000+ people made so little noise. Although, that may have had something to do with Weis’ masterful 80 yard, no-huddle touchdown drive to start the game.

The game was amazing. We came in as huge underdogs, but as you all know, we came out on top. Both defenses were on fire, resulting in some truly bone-smashing hits and multiple injuries on both sides. We lost our top wide receiver for the entire year, and their top tailback was banged up to some degree for the rest of the season. We came up with some miraculous turnovers, including Chad Henne’s crazy fumble into the endzone.

At one point the disenchanted student section began throwing liquor bottles and other items at the refs, and inadvertently, at their own recruits. Star cornerback Darrin Walls was among those recruits pelted with trash. He committed to the Irish the next week.

Michigan made a late run, but it was too little, too late. The Irish had won at Ann Arbor for the first time in a very long time, and I had witnessed it. My joy was short-lived, as I soon realized that I would have to brave the crowds again.

The journey back to the car was about as much fun as the original trek, albeit a lot quieter. We were met with a much more subdued hostility, but that didn’t make us feel any safer. The insults were less numerous, but increasingly threatening. A Notre Dame fan, who admittedly, was running his mouth, was attacked by a mob of Michigan fans that could only be described as a frenzy. It was horrifying. The pile of humanity seemingly came out of nowhere and had to be broken up by the cops. The Notre Dame fan, who was still running his mouth, had blood all over his face.

The moral of the story: don’t go to Ann Arbor. I know you’re thinking it’s just a normal Big-10 environment with its fair share of bad apples, but it’s worse than that. I’ve been to Purdue. I’ve been to Michigan State. Those were normal Big-10 environments. Michigan is a cess pool, filled with the scum of the earth, who are hell bent on ruining what should be a fun Saturday afternoon. Stay away. Stay far away.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GoIrish, I COMPLETELY agree with you. Although I have never been to ND vs Michigan @ Ann Arbor, I have been to The Punk House on 2 occasions. 1st time was in college against Ball State (my good friend was going to school there). It was a pathetic display. Skunk Wiesel fans were A$$holes to any and all Ball State fans. As you described.....Fights, throwing beer etc.... My second experience was in 2006 against Wisconsin. Now being a cheesehead and a supporter of Buckey football(obviously ND gets all the love) I witnessed 1st hand what you describe in your post. I also was approached by a # of the university's finest

F&CK SHOWS who wanted to as they put it "throw down". I was with 2 other Badger fans and we literally ran back to our car and left. I don't know if there is something in the water in Toilet Town but I will never go back to The Punk House ever again. Oh...... You are dead on when you talk about what a crappy design that stadium is.

GO IRISH!! Muck Fichigan!!!

it's crazy how different peoples experiences can be at different venues. i've been to ann arbor and never experienced anything close to that. i've also been to state college and been more than just verbally attacked. when i told others about my state penn experience, people just looked at me in shock and disbelief. not sure why people have to act like that except that 90+% has to do with alcohol. the other 10% are just friggin retards. i can honestly say that of the 20-30+ times i''ve been to south bend, i've never seen anything close to that nonsense.

Last night before the WV Maryland game Lou and that other guy were talking ND vs UM.... Lou started saying how Michigan has to go out and play in a hostile environment (I thought May was going to jump out of his seat to explain to Lou that the game is in Ann Arbor) when Lou said "They have to play in a hostile environment... their own Big House!" Completely classic even May started laughing.

GoIrish, I COMPLETELY agree with you. Although I have never been to ND vs Michigan @ Ann Arbor, I have been to The Punk House on 2 occasions. 1st time was in college against Ball State (my good friend was going to school there). It was a pathetic display. Skunk Wiesel fans were A$$holes to any and all Ball State fans. As you described.....Fights, throwing beer etc.... My second experience was in 2006 against Wisconsin. Now being a cheesehead and a supporter of Buckey football(obviously ND gets all the love) I witnessed 1st hand what you describe in your post. I also was approached by a # of the university's finest

F&CK SHOWS who wanted to as they put it "throw down". I was with 2 other Badger fans and we literally ran back to our car and left. I don't know if there is something in the water in Toilet Town but I will never go back to The Punk House ever again. Oh...... You are dead on when you talk about what a crappy design that stadium is.

GO IRISH!! Muck Fichigan!!!

Yeah true but I didn't write that, it's from another person's blog. But you're right, he hit it right on the spot.

it's crazy how different peoples experiences can be at different venues. i've been to ann arbor and never experienced anything close to that.

Agree with you on that one - have been to probably 8 games there wearing ND garb and saw nothing like that. But GoIrish, not to diminish your experience in any way - that is truly unfortunate and should not happen to anyone on that level (of course every place will have a few clowns).

Guest irishrick

think that this Ann arbor is a little blown out ofportian just a bit. been there several times ,no problems been to m state no problems , been to south bend no problems been to Penn state no problems been to GA tech the fans threw fish and whiskey bottles at the Irish bench, coach Devinne has to pull the players onto the field for safety , the police took care of the hooligans, been to Texas stadium and Houston astronomer and the super bowl at new Orleans, i think that if you conduct yourself like a visiting team fan there may be an insult , or two but most is just team fun, but Ann arbor is a great place to see an Irish victory. :) go Irish .

I traveled for that game in 2005...every scUM bag wa out calling us all names on the way to the stadium...hmm. However there was complete silence on the walk back to the car and the drive out of town. It was great....plus they have this pizza place with these delicious square pizzas so it was amazing even thogh i ripped one of my big toe nails off at a tail gate. I don't understand anybody who wnet to that game as an irish fan and didnt love it. If you have ever torn off a toe nail....well then you know how painfull it is...so i say everyone go to that whore town and buy tickets off of the fake scUM fans and let it be more like an ND home game!!![/i]

I've only been to two ND games, both on the road. The Air Force game last year and the Nebraska game in 2001. Nothing to speak of at the Air Force game, obviously. But the Nebraska game was a little rough, as I was sitting in the Nebraska student section, haha, woops. Mostly just a lot of people talking crap. I think it usually only escalates when you decide to retaliate. Not in all cases, but most times. Mostly I took it all in good fun. Had we actually won that game, i would have just smiled the whole time.

so i say everyone go to that whore town and buy tickets off of the fake scUM fans and let it be more like an ND home game!!![/i]

What, you mean a stadium full of stodgy old people who demands the crowd sits down and doesn't say a word during the game?

hahahahahaha when i was at scUM i almost got in a fist fight with some old farts cause they couldn't see...old people

I am not sure wearing ND shirts into the Wolverine den was a good idea. Regardless, it would be nice if home teams would treat visitors with class, but that is life. Beer plays into those incidents alot.

I remember many a good game at ND when I was a kid and lived there. Over the years, I have been to many college football games. I saw ND play Stanford years ago at Standford stadium which was a huge stadium. I sat with my sister and my brother-in-law who is an ND grad. Great game and great crowd. I have been to Cal to watch my alma mater, Fresno State beat them there before Tedford arrived. Great stadium and a great football day atmosphere. I guess alot depends on the crowds. I would hate to thing I couldn't take my family to a game because I had to worry about the hostile crowds.

I love Saturdays and college football.

I traveled for that game in 2005...every scUM bag wa out calling us all names on the way to the stadium...hmm. However there was complete silence on the walk back to the car and the drive out of town. It was great....plus they have this pizza place with these delicious square pizzas so it was amazing even thogh i ripped one of my big toe nails off at a tail gate. I don't understand anybody who wnet to that game as an irish fan and didnt love it. If you have ever torn off a toe nail....well then you know how painfull it is...so i say everyone go to that whore town and buy tickets off of the fake scUM fans and let it be more like an ND home game!!![/i]
:shock: I just got a little queezy...