Good read on current struggles of O-line.

SDIrishFan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree that TW's '04 and '05 recruiting classes are hurting us now but NDs '06 class should be stepping up on the OL and they simply arent yet. i know ND is replacing three starters and TW did little to help ND but that still doesn't explain why all-american center john sullivan and former freshmen all-american sam young are struggling. i say if your going to struggle this year on the OL you might as well put in matt carufel at LG and freshman matt romaine in at LT.

Guest mpstunner11

I have analyzed the line's problems a lot this year and I think that the biggest purveyor of the ineffectiveness of the line is John Sullivan. I don't think he is the all-american or the leader that people made him out to be. He seems to be a "good center" by default, because he has played there and was highly recruited out of high school. I have heard, though, from multiple people (including one of Brady Quinn's good friends) that he has a crappy personality and that he doesn't stand up to the plate to be a leader. It is his job to tell the lineman what assignments they need to have. But he obviously sucks at that. I think the problem with the O-line so far is that they are a) thinking too much, b) have no real leader, c) have been under constant criticism, and d) lack the experience. Someone on the offensive side of the ball needs to go into that huddle and say - "Guys, you are going to listen to me because you are playing with your heads in your ass right now." I don't care how Latina does it, but he needs to just tell these guys - OK, just put your pads on someone wearing a different color jersey than you.

I hear ya on the Ty thing but after this year we need to give up that excuse. I am starting to see that this 08 class should include 5 OL and Nuss should move back to OL. I really liked his recruiting videos.

hey, rock, it's not an "excuse," it's a FACT. ty had two of the worst recruiting years in the HISTORY of the program. that CANNOT be understated and also what cannot be ignored is because of ty's ineptitude, we played more frosh and sophs in game one than any other ND team since frosh became eligible in '71!!!

when we have NO more ty recruits, then i'll not mention his name again. but until then, CW gets somewhat of a pass...MHO...

Guest irishrick

sully will be ok 8) , got to get some of the blame for sure, but lets not forget the other linemen and the coaches and Charlie. lets all take some responsibility , if sully is screwing things up then its the coach who should yank him. go Irish :) :) :roll:

Why does it seem like I've heard this all before. When is this line gonna step up and dominate people. Last year OL had problems, this year it looks to be worse. Something has to be done to where these players are getting some playing time. Maybe that way they wouldn't look so lost and confused when they finally reach the field.

Sorry but you cant blame the OL on Ty.

The only thing Ty has done is left ND weak in depth on the OL. Last year all the talent and experience was there and the OL fell flat on their face most of the year.

This year I could list PLENTY of teams with less OL talent right now than ND, but they are not having near the struggles that ND is right now.

Some things this year you can blame on the 2 weak recruiting classes Ty had before he left, but saying the BRUTAL OL play for the last 2 games is Ty fault simply just making up excuses.

The only thing Ty has done is left ND weak in depth on the OL. Last year all the talent and experience was there and the OL fell flat on their face most of the year.

This year I could list PLENTY of teams with less OL talent right now than ND, but they are not having near the struggles that ND is right now.

Some things this year you can blame on the 2 weak recruiting classes Ty had before he left, but saying the BRUTAL OL play for the last 2 games is Ty fault simply just making up excuses.

Talent is one thing, but experience is another. And it's something you def need at OL. We have a Senior Center, Soph RT, then the rest are first year players.

Then what was the problem last year when everyone had experience other than Young?

actually, that's quite simple; they weren't as talented. keep in kind, young started as true freshman. that means that there must not have been a lot of talent there, right?

this group is without experience and that can be traced back to ty, as discussed in the previous posts...

Then what was the problem last year when everyone had experience other than Young?

actually, that's quite simple; they weren't as talented. keep in kind, young started as true freshman. that means that there must not have been a lot of talent there, right?

this group is without experience and that can be traced back to ty, as discussed in the previous posts...

Not that talented? Harris and Santucci both got drafted, Sullivan will get drafted this year as well.

I already said you can blame Ty for depth problems which has been an issue, but starting a 5 star OL as a freshman isnt a bad thing, and its not like he was getting beaten badly last year either.

So explain to me how last years line that will have 4 draft picks on it is not that talented? I could find plenty of teams that didnt have the same talent that ND had on the OL last year, but they protected their QB a lot better.

You vastly underestimate what competition brings out in people in sports. Thats what is the biggest help about having depth especially on the oline. Having a guy nipping at your heels and you knowing in the back of your head 'if I mess up that guy is going to take my job and I'll be watching from the sidelines'. We don't have that or Duncan and Turk would already be on the sidelines. Competition is what brings out the best in everyone and until we have that in place the line is going to underachieve.