Why the play calling hate?

reneg

I don't understand the constant knocks on Weis' play calling. You have to take things into consideration. Does everyone forget what he did when we had legitimate talent on offense with Brady, Fasano, Stovall, McKnight, Walker, and an offensive line that at least looked like a D1 o-line? Weis didn't magically forget how to play call over the offseason. He's play calling the only thing he can really do. At this point he can't trust that the line can hold for a 5 step drop, he has 1-3 step drops on every attempt with a lot being step and swing or step and screen plays. Once our line gets together everything else is going to fall in place and they will be able to open up the play book a bit more. How many of you watched the Michigan game and heard them talking about how condensed the play book would be with the true freshmen Ryan Mallet coming in for the injured Chad Henne? Thats going to be the same (maybe not to the same degree) as it is for Clausen. Weis won 3 Super Bowls calling plays in the NFL and he turned our mediocre offense into one of the best in the country when he had the right players. Give it time, we are Notre Dame and we expect the best, but sometimes it takes a little beating before you can stand back up and knock out the bully.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NDgirl09
I am usually optimistic.. but i personally think the play calling has been awful.. turthfully i don't think the play calling has even given us a chance to win our first two games...

i am the sayme way

Guest NDgirl09
I am usually optimistic.. but i personally think the play calling has been awful.. turthfully i don't think the play calling has even given us a chance to win our first two games...

i am the same

The *predictable* playcalling started last season, imho. Way too many WR screens, not enough deep balls, too many draws etc. In 2005, the offense was new, maybe the newness just wore off last year. That said, I'd rather see the O take some chances downfield than just settle for 7 consecutive 3 and outs....

It's bad playcalling when we are losing and pure genius when we are winning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as fans I do believe football's been like that since Jesus was a baby.

Good point Dome.... The first game it seemed like very weak play calling.... But i don't care who the QB is, if there is no time you can't do much. I hope we can somehow pull out a win vs. a crappy SCum team.

Maybe I'm just not as well versed as some of you when it comes to the minute details of playcalling but last time I checked, no matter what play you call, if you beat the person in front of you, it's going to be successful. I don't care if you run the same play 10 times in a row, if our team can physically beat the opposing team, it should be successful.

So I guess I don't understand everyones arguments of poor playcalling. Yeah, I understand that the swings and WR screens and hitch passes are "conservative" play calls, but what do you think Charlie is supposed to do? The o-line can't block worth a darn which makes it hard to throw it down field. You have a new quarterback that probably knows a quarter of the playbook. The o-line can't run block either, which means you can't run, so what does that leave you? Screens, hitches, and swings. The way I see it, Charlie is playing the hand he is delt for now.

And like a couple of other people have said, I don't know where this magical holy grale of play calls is located but you either run the ball or you pass the ball. Yeah you can use motion, misdirection, different formations, yada yada, but when it comes down to it, its a matter of beating the man across from you, and so far, we haven't done that too often.

http://notredame.scout.com/2/678351.html

Here is an extremely detailed look at the play calling and protections for every offensive play. Analysis is done by Bryan Driskell who is a former college quarterback, college coach and recruiting coordinator. I don't know who this guy is, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. The article is extremely long but it was an excellent read.

Here are a couple of quotes from the article:

I read after the game how the Coach Weis needs to “open things up” and to “take the handcuffs off”. I would like to see some changes to the play calling and schemes, but I don’t believe that Coach Weis was overly conservative in his play calling against Penn State. If you go through this review you’ll see a great number of play calls where the design was to get the ball deep. Either the quarterback didn’t make the throw to the open receiver, the line was unable to protect the quarterback, and they had a 42 yard pass completion nullified by a holding penalty.

There are certain mistakes that you can live with as a coach. I can live with the mistakes Dan Wenger and Michael Turkovich are making right now. They are making rookie mistakes, but they make them going hard. As they gain more experience you hope you’ll see those mistakes decrease. The mental mistakes, the poor technique being used by some, and the inconsistency of the tackles isn’t something coaches can live with. I don’t know if putting in one of the freshman (Dever or Romine) is the answer but something needs to be done. I don’t believe the Irish are using too many or too complex blocking schemes. I do believe, however, that the inconsistency up front is hurting this football team. This unit has to get better, and get better fast.

It sounded like he had more of a problem with some of the personel packages than the actual play calling. There was only once or twice did he insinuate that he didn't like the call. In contrast, he didn't like the smaller wide receivers in the personel groups when the play was trying to go vertical down the field, especially with little/no time to throw. With the smaller receivers he said you have a lot smaller margin of error and thought that going with Kamara and Parris might be better options. I don't know if his opinion is right or not. I'd like to think CW knows a thing or two about personel.

Overall he did ease any fears I might have had about the play calling.

There were a couple of plays where the line gave sufficient time, but nobody was open. But in general the line sucked. I actually thought they were better than the tech game, you cant ask for an OL to go from giving up 9 sacks to maybe 1 or 2 in one week. This Saturday I will be happy with giving up anything less than 5 sacks. This would mean a slight improvement from week to week. It didnt really help that PSU knew what we were going to do. We had no running threat, so the defensive ends and LB could pin their ears back and go for the QB. Add in all the false starts and its a recipe for disaster.