I'm not as negative as others

Rockne3d

Charlie says this is not a rebuilding year, he has to. I say otherwise, this is definitely a rebuilding year.

Guys we are not supposed to be good this year, no matter how much we want to be. Between offense and defense, we have 14 (out of 22) new starters. Pretty tough to be good with that much change, and youth.

The worst part of this team is the offense, especially the offensive line. IMO, the D has been much better than what is being said. Against, G Tech they simply were backed up against the red zone too many times by the offense. In the P State game, they just wore down from being on the field so much. If our offense can show some signs of life we will see vast improvement in our defense.

JC looks to be a stud in the making, I also think AA is on his way to stud status eventually.

Sometimes you have to get worse to become great. I think that is what we are witnessing right now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AtlantaIrish

I agree Rock. I was very pleased with the defense yesterday and I think Corwin has made an immediate impact with the unit. I can only imagine what our defense will look like once we get a lot of studs in there because as thin as we are right now in depth and talent on the defensive side they are playing their asses off.

Guys like Armando Allen, Golden Tate, Duval Kamara, and Robert Hughes need to get a lot more playing time in my opinion. These guys, along with Clausen, are going to be the foundation for a great offense in the near future.

We are going to take our lumps this year because the offensive line has been brutal, but I do see the light and I think the Irish are gaining a ton of experience in tough environments that will help lead them back to a National Title in 2009.

Guest bfabes05

defintely agree with just about everything said, who would of thought that us going to ann arbor for game 3 is finally a break haha...anyway defense is pretty damn good this year, just need some sort of offense to help them out, at least just dont go three and out every single friggin drive, this team will improve from week to week and by the back half of the season, you will see a totally different ball team and ps jimmy clausen is going to be a very good quarterback

I agree with you Rock. Like I have said in other recent posts, I think we expect ND to be 12-0 each year. Quinn and company are gone! This is a rebuilding year. We are at the bottom, but I expect us to get better each game and come next year look out. The defense is better, more agressive. Clausen can throw the ball and will be really good with time. The OL is the problem at the moment and the coaches need to focus on it.

I want to stay away from a quick fix like fire a coach because the line did terrible. We will see improvement.

The USC game worries me not so much that I expect us to have a chance, but how lopsided it could be. We need to keep our # 1 recruiting class and we will be going places in 2008 and 2009.

Charlie says this is not a rebuilding year, he has to. I say otherwise, this is definitely a rebuilding year.

Guys we are not supposed to be good this year, no matter how much we want to be. Between offense and defense, we have 14 (out of 22) new starters. Pretty tough to be good with that much change, and youth.

The worst part of this team is the offense, especially the offensive line. IMO, the D has been much better than what is being said. Against, G Tech they simply were backed up against the red zone too many times by the offense. In the P State game, they just wore down from being on the field so much. If our offense can show some signs of life we will see vast improvement in our defense.

JC looks to be a stud in the making, I also think AA is on his way to stud status eventually.

Sometimes you have to get worse to become great. I think that is what we are witnessing right now.

I agree Rock, I love the D and JC is going to be the real deal. The two areas of concern I have are obviously the OL, and lets not kid ourselves, they were horrible last year as well, so this is not a new phenomenon - we have to fix this quick.

The other area of concern is the special teams, especially the coverage teams. We put our def in up against the wall too many times, we have to work on this also.

The special teams will take care of itself once we get more athletic as a whole. I think after we bring in this incoming class our special teams will be much improved.

i disagree. i think the reason the special teams is struggling( with coverage especially ) is because that unit contains a lot of young players who don't know the proper angles, speed of the game, etc. yet. were much more athletic there now than we were. i expect they will improve as they get more experience.

The special teams will take care of itself once we get more athletic as a whole. I think after we bring in this incoming class our special teams will be much improved.

i disagree. i think the reason the special teams is struggling( with coverage especially ) is because that unit contains a lot of young players who don't know the proper angles, speed of the game, etc. yet. were much more athletic there now than we were. i expect they will improve as they get more experience.

not at all true BlackIrish. our punt return unit that gave up that TD the other night had Carlson, Zibby, Travis Thomas, Bruton, Herring, and I believe Ambrose Wooden all on the field. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking good angles or understanding a teams speed. Tackle the guy.

not at all true BlackIrish. our punt return unit that gave up that TD the other night had Carlson, Zibby, Travis Thomas, Bruton, Herring, and I believe Ambrose Wooden all on the field. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking good angles or understanding a teams speed. Tackle the guy.

you say "punt return unit." i meant the punt coverage unit...

Guest irishrick

yes everything you say is true, however we are starting to turn the corner i hope, we still got to take care of the off line and get some yardage so the defense can get a little rest. what say you ? cw will turn it around but i don't think it will be this Saturday in the big house. go Irish .

first time ive been back here in awhile, and ive only seem some of the last 2 games.. so i could be off on some of my thoughts.

Travis Thomas at RB? should he continue to see time at RB? the times ive seen him he doesnt seem to be doing anything. the few times i saw him in the first game he was constantly getting tackled in the backfield. maybe they should move him somewhere else?

i like Clausen at QB and i think he will get better with each game.

it would be good to see alot of the talented freshmen playing this season to get them ready for the future and have them get better each game and be ready to shine in 08.

ND might not want to say it but this is a rebuilding year. arguably the first 8 games are possibly games they could lose ..but theres light at the end of the tunnel. the last 4 games are Navy, Air Force, Duke, and Stanford. all games ND should win easily, and have good momentum going into next season. maybe finishing the season strong that could look good on recruits who havnt made the final decision?

im going to be watching and hoping they win each game the rest of the season, but im not going to be heartbroken if they lose as long as they get better with each game.

BlackIrish, I meant "punt COVERAGE unit". Typed the wrong thing. Anyways, my point is just that our coverage units are not deprived of experience or talent. We have numerous starters and veteran players on the coverage units.

ahhh, well, then, i stand corrected.

then, as you said, we really have no excuse for not being better...