Hoping to pick up the pieces, Weis to name QB Tuesday

el senor domer

No more secrets for rattled Irish

Hoping to pick up the pieces, Weis to name QB Tuesday

By Brian Hamilton

Tribune staff reporter

September 2, 2007, 10:43 PM CDT

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Charlie Weis' wardrobe selection Sunday: white shirt free of wrinkles, tie, blue dress slacks.

No cloak. No dagger, presumably. Notre Dame wasn't victimized by big plays in the passing game the previous afternoon, but a 33-3 opening implosion against Georgia Tech surely amounted to a blown cover.

So Sunday, a humbled Weis sounded less Dr. No and more Dr. No Mas. The clandestine decision-making of the preseason has been sacked. On Tuesday, the Irish coach will name a starting quarterback. Again.

Mostly to soothe a team that's both shaken and stirred.

"I think the team needs a staple," Weis said. "We need to rally the troops, circle the wagons. All those other phrases you use, well, it's time for us to do them. It always starts with the foundation: 'OK, here's what we're going to do.' So that's a good place for me to start."

All contestants are eligible to start against Penn State, meaning sophomore Demetrius Jones did not play himself into oblivion despite a debut that featured more fumbles (two) than completed passes (one). Junior Evan Sharpley could get the nod, despite being sacked seven times against Georgia Tech.

And then there is freshman Jimmy Clausen, whom Weis confirmed was now healthy enough to bear a starter's practice workload if the Irish staff chooses. Whoever runs the offense, it should look more like a traditional Weis scheme than the plan that had fans wondering Saturday whether Jones would ever pass.

"Whoever the quarterback is, you're going to build the offense around that guy," Weis said. "You're going to have to make sure you do things they can do. If Demetrius is the quarterback, he'll be involved in throwing the ball as well as running the ball. It won't be just, OK, Demetrius is in there, we're just going to run the ball on every play."

Were quarterback the lone problem, Notre Dame might consider this a light workweek.

But Weis said the offensive front had communication issues, was "inconsistent" and was "whooped ... pretty good" by Georgia Tech. The defense, though stout after turnovers, surrendered too many big plays in the running game and didn't play "great assignment football," Weis said.

Punt returns were non-existent. Even the kickoff-return wedge was "crummy," in Weis' estimation. So after a preseason filled with assurances that answers would be forthcoming Sept. 1, the Irish are left to concoct a fresh, less catastrophic set of replies. At least one, the quarterback's identity, arrives shortly.

"I don't know who it is yet, but you'll know on Tuesday," Weis said. "I promise you."

Then again, it isn't Tuesdays that the Notre Dame faithful is worried about.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-070902irish,1,7826443.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had the replay on TV today. I couldn't subject myself to the first half, but watched most of offensive series in the second. There is no question in my mind, if he's healthy enough to take the reps, it must be Jimmy.

While Jimmy may be a true freshmen, let us not forget he's not a young freshmen. He's also been breaking down college defenses w/ his older brothers since he was like 2.

Evan takes too long to get rid of the ball, some of those sacks were on him yesterday. Jimmy is decisive and has a very quick release.

Jimmy isn't just the future, he's the best chance to win now.

Eskimo - in watching the second half again, what was your take on the receivers? I missed the 4th quarter, but from what I saw of Sharpley, I agree that he was slow getting rid of the rock. But in addition to the OL, there is also the reality that the WRs need to get open. The QB can throw the ball away to avoid a 10-yard loss, but not on every play. Occasionally he has to take a shot downfield to try to move the chains, but the WRs also need to be open.

I saw on the highlights the Clausen overthrow of Hord, but it looked like Hord had some nice separation and may have been open. I was curious what you saw during your second look.

Guest mpstunner11

He goes by DD. And I have heard he is the starter for this weekend. In a way I think this is good, because there is no point in ruining Jimmy's confidence.

He goes by DD. And I have heard he is the starter for this weekend. In a way I think this is good, because there is no point in ruining Jimmy's confidence.
oh christ stunner, put the kid at flanker and let clausen take over this ship. there must be a reason charlie didn't want him to pass......

And I have heard he is the starter for this weekend.

I watched the game again earlier today, and I can't come up with one thing the DD did well to merit another start. He looked and acted like he was terrified to be out there, he didn't run well, he didn't throw it well. Now I understand theat the OL was an embarassment and CW play calling wasn't any better, but DD didn't look like a QB out there. His mannerisms, body language and decision making - if he was ever supposed to really throw it, because there were some open guys when he tucked it and ran.

In my opinion, throw JC in there and see what he can do. I pretty sure he can get us at least 3 pts. He seems to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball in a hurry.

I'm afraid that if CW announces DD as the starter, there may be an uprising amongst the ND fan base, especially if we go out and lay another egg with DD behind center.

And I have heard he is the starter for this weekend.

I watched the game again earlier today, and I can't come up with one thing the DD did well to merit another start. He looked and acted like he was terrified to be out there, he didn't run well, he didn't throw it well. Now I understand theat the OL was an embarassment and CW play calling wasn't any better, but DD didn't look like a QB out there. His mannerisms, body language and decision making - if he was ever supposed to really throw it, because there were some open guys when he tucked it and ran.

In my opinion, throw JC in there and see what he can do. I pretty sure he can get us at least 3 pts. He seems to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball in a hurry. afraid that if CW announces DD as the starter, there may be an uprising amongst the ND fan base, especially if we go out and lay another egg with DD behind center.

A-FRIGGIN-MEN

I was at the game on Saturday. on the way out, I ran into casey clausen. I immediately starting shatting him up about Jiummy, LA (i went to Casey's rival HS), and the game. He said that "Jimmy is NOT 100%". He said that he is a few weeks away from being 100%. There is a reason Jimmy was 3rd string on Saturday. Had he been healthy, he would have started.

IMO, Sharpley will start the next two games and Jimmy will start at home against MSU.

I am kinda hoping DJ starts...lmao :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I was at the game on Saturday. on the way out, I ran into casey clausen. I immediately starting shatting him up about Jiummy, LA (i went to Casey's rival HS), and the game. He said that "Jimmy is NOT 100%". He said that he is a few weeks away from being 100%. There is a reason Jimmy was 3rd string on Saturday. Had he been healthy, he would have started.

IMO, Sharpley will start the next two games and Jimmy will start at home against MSU.

shit................. :x :x