OK, you make the call; who starts at QB next week?

Guest imported_OntarioIrish

Who do you start next week?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you start next week?

• Jimmy Clausen
    • Demetrius Jones
    • Evan Sharpley

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for Clausen myself because from what I saw yesterday, he's not only the future of the position, but the best present chance to win as well; I can't see what he's going to absorb on the sidelines in the next couple games that would prepare him any better to start in Week 4 than he is for Week 2 - and he looked healthy enough to me.

Guest irishrick

i think that Charlie will give Jones another chance as he has to learn from his mistakes, all of the fault lies with the off line . so lets give :) Jones another chance

Guest bfabes05

I think it might be Sharpley since he didnt do so bad, but im now convinced put the phenom in and Jones will not see the field again, and if he starts against PSU, i might not watch

I would start Clausen because he is the future of our team. In this day and age of football, you have to play early and learn how to play QB (unless you play for SC or Texas), I think Weis gets that.

Plain and simply put...my exact reasons for selecting Jimmy. If we are to lose a game or two, I would want our future to be the one under center...learning first hand from the mistakes. No need to duplicate the same ones over and over.

Before I throw Clausen to the wolves, I wait and see if the O-Line decides to show up. No way am I putting my future behind those 5 bullfighters....

So, I start Jones, and actually call a couple pass plays this time..screens, slants, quick outs, rollouts, TIGHT END CURLS...mix it up with a few runs from Aldridge and Allen, and see what happens.

If he is getting protection, and not completing passes or being indecisive, then I bring out Clausen. If the O-Line isnt blocking, it doesnt matter who is back there anyway.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070902/SPORTS06/709020440

Weis said Clausen is recovered from a preseason procedure on his throwing arm and ready for the speed of the game.

"The problem was as (he was) getting stronger, those other guys were taking reps," Weis said, "and you can't take a quarterback and put him ahead of the other guys when he's not in there on a daily basis. (But) I think he's turned that corner."

An excerpt from Charlie's press conference; sounds like a pretty good hint to me of who's starting against Penn State.

DJ just has Athlete written all over him. I used to watch Hines Ward play slotback, receiver and QB all in one game at UGA. I hope we utilize him as he IS one of the best athletes on our team period. I just say we use him as an emergency QB and play him in the slot,RB and WR. Imagine how it messes w teams if JC and DJ and AA are all in the backfield at same time.

and we won't have to ask this question again. If DD had been able to hold onto the ball, who knows? You can write it off to nerves or whatever you choose but he killed any oomph we had. The other two, Sharpley and Clausen looked more in control and calmer. Yes, JC went against a lot of 2nd string but he still looked in command. If the other guys KNOW you ain't passin' brother, you got big problems.

Exactly. Once again, I will say that it has to be JC. Sure, the O-Line is awful at best, but JC has pocket presence. He might get sacked and take a few hits, but so did Quinn, and now he is in the NFL. Those hits make you much tougher.

-MW-

Exactly. Once again, I will say that it has to be JC. Sure, the O-Line is awful at best, but JC has pocket presence. He might get sacked and take a few hits, but so did Quinn, and now he is in the NFL. Those hits make you much tougher.

-MW-

I remember Quinn's first start against Purdue. 59 pass attempts and probably got knocked down on 40 of them.

The second teamers might have been in against Jimmy, but they still brought a number of blitzes. On the one sack Jimmy did take, he nearly escaped it, and it was JA completely whiffing on blitz pickup that caused it.

I distinctly remember Brady's first game. That could best be classified as assault. He got killed. He was also pretty jacked. I do like Evan's toughness, but I don't think Jimmy will need as much of it, given I can't see him not getting rid of the ball before the safety comes in for the sack from the defensive backfield.