Charlie Weis no better than Ty?

Franco

I've been reading a lot of blogs/forums/chats/etc... and a few people are already calling for Charlie Weis' head

Well, to those people.......you're no better than the bandwagoner fans here in LA who only "love" USC/Lakers/etc... when they're winning.

seriously, I am ashamed for them.

on a side note, i was so excited to see the players out there on the field again today, and doubly excited to see the starting QB (i didn't care who it was).

BUT (big but here), I got a really bad feeling when i saw the look on DJ's face. I dont know about anybody else, but was I the only one who saw that DJ was horrified out of his mind? He was really wide eyed, was talking at all, and was horribly tight going into the game.

ehhh, I'll always be cheering for HER no matter what :D

"Old Notre Dame will win OVERALL"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obviously an overreaction to be calling for Weis' head. That's just frustration being expressed after such a loss, but I do think it fair to say that the honeymoon period is over. More of us no longer believe that Weis actually split the Red Sea and many are now in the "prove it" mode. I think this is a fair reaction to what was obviously a coaching issue on Saturday. Our OL may not be all five-star players, but none of them were scrubs coming out of high school (I wonder how Appalachian State's OL line would compare to ours coming out of high school). Something is amiss here. I don't pretend to know what it is, but the OL is a disaster and the play-calling (at times) was boderline ridiculous (3rd and 1 near the goal line and you give it to the deep back who, because of the OL, hasn't even made it to the line of scrimmage the whole game?) Some things obviously need to change. I think the boys can do it, but that's more hope than belief.

Guest imported_OntarioIrish
Believe it or not' date=' I think Charlie's health is effecting his ability to coach. Just looking at him before the game, he seemed tired and out of it. At halftime, the same look. Whether its the extra pounds he's carrying, or the effect of the lawsuit loss, Charlie just seems beat...less energetic.[/quote']

Good observation - he just looked really washed out and drained.

Guest NDgirl09
Believe it or not' date=' I think Charlie's health is effecting his ability to coach. Just looking at him before the game, he seemed tired and out of it. At halftime, the same look. Whether its the extra pounds he's carrying, or the effect of the lawsuit loss, Charlie just seems beat...less energetic.[/quote']

Good observation - he just looked really washed out and drained.

I noticed that too, especially after the game, even though it was a tough loss, he didn't like like himself

I'm about Charlie's age and when I get 10 lbs overweight, I feel like crap. That having been said, Bear Bryant coached from a perch over the practice field, armed with walkie-talkies to talk with his assistant coaches. Come game-time, Bryant barely moved on the sidelines, as his assistants came to him, yet Bama seemed to do OK. Health or not, the game plan on offense was horribly unimpressive, and the boys weren't able to adjust when GT showed them new formations. That's coaching.

Guest SirJohn

Charlie has dropped 30 pounds in five months as reported in Media. I won't read too much into what anyone said about ill heath. He previously looked real good. He has one of those "sad looking faces" all the time except when he smiles.

Who really knows? Maybe he had bad news about wife or kids or a problem in the locker room prior to the game. I'd look a bit sick on the sidelines as well if my team played like ND's did.

It's obviously an overreaction to be calling for Weis' head. That's just frustration being expressed after such a loss, but I do think it fair to say that the honeymoon period is over. More of us no longer believe that Weis actually split the Red Sea and many are now in the "prove it" mode. I think this is a fair reaction to what was obviously a coaching issue on Saturday. Our OL may not be all five-star players, but none of them were scrubs coming out of high school (I wonder how Appalachian State's OL line would compare to ours coming out of high school). Something is amiss here. I don't pretend to know what it is, but the OL is a disaster and the play-calling (at times) was boderline ridiculous (3rd and 1 near the goal line and you give it to the deep back who, because of the OL, hasn't even made it to the line of scrimmage the whole game?) Some things obviously need to change. I think the boys can do it, but that's more hope than belief.

You hit the nail on the head here.

I completely agree with you Nicepost, but you should see some of the stuff that ND fans are saying, that Weis wasn't the second coming they were hoping for. I find it highly annoying when fans label someone as the "second-coming" and the minute they mess up, they basically turn their backs on them...

I too was disapointed at Weis' playcalling especially how he never called plays for Carlson, which is pretty much the only sure thing he has right now

Did you see Carlson play, that guy is still a beast :D

We ND fans need to R-E-L-A-X!!!!! We shouldn't want or expect CW to say this is a rebuilding year, but guess what...it is. Problem is, with ND we should always be reloading, but due to the fact that we had 2 coaches who didn't LOVE ND, and it showed in recruiting, which is the major reason we are in the position we are in. We all know ND is a different place, a special place, even for the subway alum (like me). I mean, how many other places call rabid fans alumni???

That's what the previous 2 didn't get.....and that's what CW does get. At ND, it's Faith, family and football. If you don't love what ND stands for than you shouldn't be the coach, and we finally learned a lesson we, as fans, hope to never have to relearn!

We will take our lumps this year, but next year and from then on...look out!

Guest irishrick

let's leave charlie alone, i think he was upset because the team played poorly, also Georgia tech would have made USC look bad this is one top team and with their schedule they will be in the top five very soon , , speaking of USC, they played a bunch of kids from the potato state and they didn't look all that great, , the Irish will be OK , soon as the line gets a little more experience, as for Charlie's health , he is ok :) . lets give the guy some slack wait til after the Michigan game before we start. also Penn state is no gimme. go Irish Charlie with you all the way . Not rebuilding just re tuning a bit. go Irish .

Everyone needs to calm down.

Weis knew we weren't doing crap this year, because he hasn't even decided any starters by the first game.

We will have our foundation set by week 6. And then onto 08.

This is truth. Anyone who suspected a NC this year had lived under a rock. Likewise, I have to say I am proud of the Defense. Very proud. Corwin has them playing excellent. When your QB gives their offense the ball at the 25, and they walk away with a field goal, that is good. At the end of the game, they were so tired from the lack of downtime they had, they finally gave up touchdowns. Last year, had our offense been like that, it would have been 60-3.

-MW-

#1 - the problem is not CW's inability to coach or recruit. This is not like Ty...

#2 - IMO GT was better than I expected. I thought our OL would do much better, but when our backs get hit consistently 2 yards deep in the backfield - not good.

#3 - I thought our D played well to keep the score where it was at - only giving up field goals and blocking one kept us in the game. IF we can get something going on offense and score - game takes a different direction.

#4 - The turnovers killed us - DJ's fumbles killed a good drive and gave GT the ball in good field position (see #3).

#5 - I like Clausen and feel he could be the solution to a bad situation at QB (DJ didn't impress me and his pass to a wide open Robert Hughes flat out sucked).

Still feel we will improve - also feel that there will be a lot more movement in starters and if you don't produce you are sitting...

Guest bluester2000

Franco,

You do realize that we sing the alma mater to the University / The Holy Mother, and not to a coach, athletic director, or even president? One can be a whole hearted lover and supporter of the University while hating the coach. I did when Tyrone was the coach. I would argue in the case of Witlessham those who truly loved the University hated him and what he had done to Her football team.

#1 - the problem is not CW's inability to coach or recruit. This is not like Ty...

#2 - IMO GT was better than I expected. I thought our OL would do much better, but when our backs get hit consistently 2 yards deep in the backfield - not good.

#3 - I thought our D played well to keep the score where it was at - only giving up field goals and blocking one kept us in the game. IF we can get something going on offense and score - game takes a different direction.

#4 - The turnovers killed us - DJ's fumbles killed a good drive and gave GT the ball in good field position (see #3).

#5 - I like Clausen and feel he could be the solution to a bad situation at QB (DJ didn't impress me and his pass to a wide open Robert Hughes flat out sucked).

Still feel we will improve - also feel that there will be a lot more movement in starters and if you don't produce you are sitting...

#2..I thought GT's offense stunk. A good team will severely limit Tashard Choice and their QB was just plain aweful. Not as bad as ours, but bad none the same

#3...A good QB would have thrown for at least 2 possibly 3 more TD's against us. CB's were beat and the ball was nowhere near the target. Big Booty would have had 400 yards and 5 TD's.

#4...I said that turnovers would blow this out of proportion at least 2 months ago and spent the time since then hoping I was wrong. But history shows that new QB's turn the ball over a lot unless they play for USC.

We definitely will improve...it can't get any worse.