Offensive Line Offensive in Loss to Georgia Tech

Guest OCDomer

Guest OCDomer

Well, I was right and I was wrong. I was absolutely 100% correct about how important the play of our offensive line was going to be in this game. I was 100% wrong in my expectation that the young offensive line would get the job done. They did not. Georgia Tech's defensive scheme had our offensive linemen thoroughly confused most of the time, and when our guys did have their assignments correct, they were generally beaten one-on-one. There were a couple of drives when the offense showed glimpses of being able win at the point of attack, but for the most part the Yellow Jacket defense played the entire game in the Irish backfield, making it very difficult for the quarterbacks and running backs to make plays. We're lucky to get out of the game without any of the QBs being carried off on a stretcher.

Read the full game review at the OC Domer blog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest irish_at_birth

it looked like GT was not worried about DJ passing at all. That puts the O-line at a severe disadvantage. Next week I think the line will redeem themselves.

Guest SirJohn

Good read by OC.

As calm as JC was he and i seem to be the only two whe JC was on the field seeing one play with his mouth piece still in his face mask. ( I went Jeese jimmie keep those smiling teeth) :lol: He got over any shakes and looks like a go to guy.

Good read by OC.

As calm as JC was he and i seem to be the only two whe JC was on the field seeing one play with his mouth piece still in his face mask. ( I went Jeese jimmie keep those smiling teeth) :lol: He got over any shakes and looks like a go to guy.

I saw that also SJ I was wondering if he was going to get flag for that.

Whoever is the Offensive line coach, Latina I think, needs to be fired. The OL was horrible all of last year and they are still horrible.

The O line has sucked since Joe Moore was around. That old coach guy that sued them for being fired. Bring him back!!!

the line's problem is not John Latina. the guy is a great coach and if we fired him we'd look like complete asses. We have talented young guys that do need experience, but should at least be competent. Its not Latina's fault that the whole left side of our offensive line got completely schooled all game by GT defensive linemen. Duncan and Turkovich, both true juniors, were flat awful. The amount of whiffed cut blocks was high school-esque. Sullivan is solid and I couldn't complain much about Wenger or Young, but any blitzing from the right usually resulted in a missed block by the back in blitz pickup. Travis Thomas was completely awful in this area today. If this means that the 06 class and true freshman like Romine and Dever get in, so be it. Its a rebuilding year anyways and we might as well get all the kinks out while we can.

the line's problem is not John Latina. the guy is a great coach and if we fired him we'd look like complete asses. We have talented young guys that do need experience, but should at least be competent. Its not Latina's fault that the whole left side of our offensive line got completely schooled all game by GT defensive linemen. Duncan and Turkovich, both true juniors, were flat awful. The amount of whiffed cut blocks was high school-esque. Sullivan is solid and I couldn't complain much about Wenger or Young, but any blitzing from the right usually resulted in a missed block by the back in blitz pickup. Travis Thomas was completely awful in this area today. If this means that the 06 class and true freshman like Romine and Dever get in, so be it. Its a rebuilding year anyways and we might as well get all the kinks out while we can.

I have to disagree with you on this on IrishNY, Latina is the problem. I think your argument about the experience would hold water if it wasn't for last year. Last years OL, which had plenty of experience, was by far, the weak point of that team and was the root of most of our off problems. This year looks the same.

The off line play is too passive, they try and "catch" the DL instead of attacking them. I drives me crazy that the line of scrimmage gets pushed to our side on every play, we can never seem to push the DL off the ball. We try too many cut blocks and angle blocks, just put your helment on your guy and get him the h :censored: l out of the way, its really not that complicated.

I was sort of afraid to log onto here this morning to see all the calls for people's head and despair.

Give the OL a few more weeks and then let's decide about their development. Give GT's defense some credit - they might be one of the best we see this year outside of USC and perhaps UCLA.

Give some blame to CW for the playcalling too. After the first two series GT had NO reason to believe we were a threat to throw the ball, and adjusted their scheme with delayed blitzes and the like.

I absolutely agree about the cut and angle blocks Fanatic. ND's line was literally diving and usually missing the strong and athletic GT Dline. This type of blocking may work against Navy but it will not cut it against a team with any skill. And I also agree that they do not attack the opposing Dline. They just sit there and wait to get pushed back or ran by.

I'm not saying Latina is completely free from fault. But everyone's excuses about last years line being awful b/c of Ty's terrible recruiting has also proved somewhat lame. These kids were almost all big time HS recruits with amazing credentials and they have the skills to get the job done. So what is it? Are they scared? Are they not smart enough to realize where a blitz is coming from? GT was running extremely basic stunt plays and rarely did our line even lay a hand on one of their guys. All I know is that it was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen in a football game, period. 9 sacks? Good lord.

But everyone's excuses about last years line being awful b/c of Ty's terrible recruiting has also proved somewhat lame. These kids were almost all big time HS recruits with amazing credentials and they have the skills to get the job done. So what is it? Are they scared? Are they not smart enough to realize where a blitz is coming from? GT was running extremely basic stunt plays and rarely did our line even lay a hand on one of their guys. All I know is that it was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen in a football game, period. 9 sacks? Good lord.

Exactly, I don't think its a talent problem, and I don't think it was last year either. I think its technique, scheme, attitude, which all have to be taught and instilled by the position coach - which he hasn't done.

I think there is some coaching/philosophy issue with the O line. Last year it should have been a strength. It, along with the secondary, was by far the weakest link on the team. This year's line is most likely the biggest we've had, and has some highly touted recruits. Much worse teams with smaller and less heralded recruits had more effective lines than ND has the past few years. This year, its a few games too early to know for sure, but if the O line can't hold its own with 4* and 5* recruits, something else is wrong. If the line play had been good last year, it would be acceptable with 3 new starters. The D needed a changeup last year, if anything remotely like the past 2 years continues on the O line.....a coaching change is needed there as well. Enough of this finesse crap, line up and knock the piss out of 'em already!!! :?

i think about half of the sack Sharply took were due to him not getting rid of the ball and falling into deer in headlights mode. That being said i think the line did suck but Sharply didnt help. Thats another reason Clausen needs to start so he can get the ball outta there quick.