Let the real QB controversy begin...

Guest Hejduk23

Guest Hejduk23

I'm sorry all you DJ fans but he is NOT the answer. And as my father (a lifetime ND fan) just said...

If you are looking a 6 win season in the eye...why not let Clausen learn.

We already burned his redshirt year...oops!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hejduk23

I like DJ, don't get me wrong...great kid. But Charlie Weis (no-matter what he says) is a pocket passer coach. That option/spread crap was poorly constructed and executed even worse. If Jimmy would have started and hit 4-5 quick slants/outs. Then you mix in the run and what do you know...GT is on their heels. Charlie over thought the whole thing. I know it's easy for me to sit here and second guess but seriously. The NBC announcer even said it...Jimmy gets rid of the ball so quickly, he might not outrun anyone but his quick release more than makes up for it. Plus the one time that he was forced out of the pocket he kept his head up, looked down field the whole time and then didn't force it and ran it out of bounds. Just exactly what Brady would have done. Jimmy IS the future of ND football!!!

I like DJ, don't get me wrong...great kid. But Charlie Weis (no-matter what he says) is a pocket passer coach. That option/spread crap was poorly constructed and executed even worse. If Jimmy would have started and hit 4-5 quick slants/outs. Then you mix in the run and what do you know...GT is on their heels. Charlie over thought the whole thing. I know it's easy for me to sit here and second guess but seriously. The NBC announcer even said it...Jimmy gets rid of the ball so quickly, he might not outrun anyone but his quick release more than makes up for it. Plus the one time that he was forced out of the pocket he kept his head up, looked down field the whole time and then didn't force it and ran it out of bounds. Just exactly what Brady would have done. Jimmy IS the future of ND football!!!

Exactly Hej I thinkg Jimmy is the man for the future.DJ just couldn't move the off. down the field and Evan look good but, didn't have that spark that you want out of your QB. But, saying that he did drive the off. down the field for a field goal. Just seeing Jimmy in there it seem that he was reading the Def. a little different than the other 2 QB's and looked like what CW likes to run in a off. So IMHO I believe that we will see Jimmy against Penn State and the rest of the season. Jimmy's arm looked ok to me and I think he is 100% to play. With CW setting up for one QB that will set up for the running game because Jimmy got the passing game going. And I want to give a shout o ut to Robby Parris for the catches that he had made to day. He will be a go to reciever and will open up the other recievers for the ball.

Guest bfabes05
Just seeing Jimmy in there it seem that he was reading the Def. a little different than the other 2 QB's and looked like what CW likes to run in a off.

But you have to factor in that was GaTechs second team D and they werent bringin any pressure, dont get me wrong, Clausen is the guy by at least game 4, but not right, now dont throw him into the fire this early, Sharpley is the best choice, he moved the ball well and made some pretty good plays, especially where he picked up a fumble and completed it to Carlson, Sharpley against Penn State and Michigan...if he plays well enough to keep it, then he keeps it, if not, Michigan State is the team to break in the phenom without a doubt.

Just seeing Jimmy in there it seem that he was reading the Def. a little different than the other 2 QB's and looked like what CW likes to run in a off.

But you have to factor in that was GaTechs second team D and they werent bringin any pressure,

i don't mean to be a dick but that's plain WRONG! they blitzed JC all the time he was in there!! he got sacked on a blitz! yes, it was their second stringers but they kept blitzing...

Guest irishrick

doesn't really matter who the QB is right now all played pretty good can't fault the B's there was no defense for them every time the rushed they were a minimum of 3 tech players on the play , the Irish defense needs to get better in a hurry, But you have to give the tech coaches for playing a heck of a game on off and def side, i don't think were that bad tech is just that good. what say you was mark may right in his predicts???? :)

your telling me they blitzed as much as they did as they did earlier the game?, he was not under the same pressure as the other two

dude, they blitzed him PLENTY. i know because i was shocked that they were still blitzing up by the margin they were! it didn't make much sense why they were continuing.

and with JC's release there is NO DOUBT he would've faired better than either sharpley or DD against the first-team's blitzes as well. that's why he "didn't face the same pressure as the other two" did! ya know, it's not all the lines fault when a QB gets pressured. getting rid of the ball is a big negator of the blitz. the kid gets rid of the ball. something in which both DD and sharpley struggled with. period.

Charlies gameplan was horrible.I'm sorry but Travis Thomas should be a backup. Clausen was most impressive with his poise. If you have similar Qbs you have to go with the one with the most upside. Vernaglia looked good so did bruton. On a side note the D did well.

Guest irish_at_birth

Clausen was so poised in the moment. He has been in the spotlight his entire life, he is used to it. He is the QB of the future and NOW. It looked like he was the upperclassmen, not afraid of the moment at all.

Guys, I missed Clausen playing. Bottom line is that DJ stock is falling and any passing QB stock is rising. Either Sharpley or Clausen start next game. Time will tell who gets the final nod, Sharpley or Clausen. I would like to see Clausen get the nod, but I don't want him overloaded with pressure. Clausen is the future.

Charlies gameplan was horrible.I'm sorry but Travis Thomas should be a backup. Clausen was most impressive with his poise. If you have similar Qbs you have to go with the one with the most upside. Vernaglia looked good so did bruton. On a side note the D did well.

You're dead on Mike. CW's gameplan was abismal. As much as we hold him up on a pedestal I think he did his job poorly. I think he started the wrong guy for the wrong reasons. Then he used him wrong. The second DJ's legs became the focus of the play calling was the second he was made a perrenial backup QB or a wide receiver IMHO. I was thinking to myself after the first half that this might be the most confusing year ever for the ND/Navy game. Same uniforms and only running plays. Very very naive and poor gameplan in my opinion.

What I saw:

* Obviously DJ is not ready to be the starting QB, he wasn't poised out there and it looked like he had no control of the offense.

* Like was said earlier, CW blew it. Horrible decision at QB, horrible gameplan. Offensive genius - ??

* The offensive line coach needs to be fired, its hard to put into words how bad they are. After watching the off line play last year, which absolutely blew, I thought maybe they would be better this year, I was wrong - they were terrible.

* TT shouldn't be the starter, he was the worse RB I saw out there tonight.

* Def was better, just spent too much time on the field.

I say give the ball to JC and see what happens, it couldn't be any worse.

What I saw:

* Obviously DJ is not ready to be the starting QB, he wasn't poised out there and it looked like he had no control of the offense.

* Like was said earlier, CW blew it. Horrible decision at QB, horrible gameplan. Offensive genius - ??

* The offensive line coach needs to be fired, its hard to put into words how bad they are. After watching the off line play last year, which absolutely blew, I thought maybe they would be better this year, I was wrong - they were terrible.

* TT shouldn't be the starter, he was the worse RB I saw out there tonight.

* Def was better, just spent too much time on the field.

I say give the ball to JC and see what happens, it couldn't be any worse.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. The O line has been mediocre for years, regardless of recruits. It may be time to replace Latina. Travis Thomas had nowhere to go, but he seemed to do MUCH worse than AA or JA. ND did nothing to adjust for the kamikaze blitz that GT used nonstop. In that situation, throw quick screens, maybe even a draw?! I was encouraged by the defense, but they gave up a ton of 8-20 yd runs. No big plays, but they were tough on 3rd down. JC should be the starter if the O line can keep him from 9 sacks and injury potential.