Rhema out for the year and back in '06

Yep, realized it when RM came out behind Weis in the tunnel without his pads on. I think he'll really produce next year and will then have a great shot at the NFL.

Guest SirJohn

Hate to see a knee injury for anyon. Red shirt medical mean a partial schloarship for another> I can't get my NCAA rules just yet on line,

I love him but we are in that "plug and play" We are so thin in some spots till 2006. Very difficult to come back after an in jury and we lost a line man too.

Heal is all I can say and thanks for all the timr spent up to injury, pain and troubles now, We wait for you to come back 2006. :D

Guest Weisguy

Frome is done too.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame receiver Rhema McKnight and defensive end Chris Frome will miss the rest of the season due to knee injuries.

McKnight, Notre Dame's leading receiver the last two seasons, originally was expected back after injuring his right knee in the second game of the season against Michigan. He underwent arthroscopic surgery and coach Charlie Weis said he had been hopeful McKnight would return for the USC game.

But after several setbacks, McKnight has decided to seek a medical redshirt for this season.

"The knee has just not responded the way you'd like it to be," Weis said Wednesday. "He just can't do things full speed."

McKnight had five catches for 69 yards in Notre Dame's first two games before getting injured in the second quarter against Michigan.

"I think it's the right decision," McKnight said. "I just can't do the things I can do to be a football player."

Frome, who had six tackles through six games, had surgery Tuesday on his right knee. It started out as arthroscopic surgery, but the injury was too extensive and required traditional surgery, Weis said.

"When it goes from a scope to cut, there's obviously a bigger problem," Weis said. "I don't know the exact [injury], all I know is he won't be back this year."

Guest bluester2000

Well, I figured as much regarding both of them. Rhema's situation was clear from the beginning (at least to me). Presumably Charlie was trying some gamesmanship for the USC game. Now that it's over he might as well come clean about it. The Frome injury hurts as well.

While I agree that we can recover from these injuries with our plug and play mentality, we're thinner than we should be because of someone's inability to recruit (I'm looking in the direction of the leader of young black men). I just don't want to take too many injuries, because they will catch up to you (ie Patriots this year).

This weekend is huge for us. We give the Mormons what they deserve to nurse our pride, a week off to nurse our injuries, then let's go get Tennessee.

While I did optimistically believe this team could compete for a National Championship, I would be more than happy settling for a BcS bowl.

Guest IrishTobey

I hate to say this but i think this is great. Oviously, I never want to see a player get hurt for any reason but Rema's could not have worked out better as far as injuries go. It was before the third game so he can come back and that means ND may have the best recieving core in college football next year. McKnight, Samarzdja, Hord, Grimes, and some freshman with Quinn running the show and Weis pulling the strings will be amazing. I think Fasano will go pro but if for some reason he comes back ND will be scary good next year. Not to mention the emerging tandem of a Walker/Thomas backfield with a little Aldridge and Prince mixed in and this team might average 40 a game next year. I also think, and it's easy for me to say this b/c I wasn't hurt, that this is the best thing for McKnight. He'll be a first round pick with another year under the coaching of Weis in that offense. To me this is not devastating news at all. ND has more then held their own without McKnight and the easy part of the schedule is dead ahead. Stovall and Shelton will hold the fort until McKnight comes back next year. Frome also has another year so ND should be alright next year. I predict they start slow against BYU but when the dust settles they win 52-13. I don't think this one is close.

Guest Weisguy

I really think Fasano will come back, there are a couple TE's that getting a lot of looks, to be honest I think everyone that will be eligible for next year will come back because of the fact that they finally have a coach everyone believes in (and Weis isnt just having good luck like ty did in year 1, im already convinced by the play and recruiting), we could really have a chance at a NC next year, and nobody on our current team that can come back next year has beaten USC... think about it, these guys went to ND for a reason, the history, now they have a damn good chance to be part of our championship history. Weis will build a servicable OLine amd if we have Fasano, Rhema, Samardjiza, Grimes, Hord, Anastasio, Walker, Schwapp and all the rooks that are coming, our offense will still be scary if not even more frightening than now.

Guest Weisguy

And he still will. McKnight is on track to graduate in December, so he'll start work on his master's degree in January.

What, no ballroom dancing classes, a la USC's quarterback Matt Leinart?

"Nah," he said, "although it would be nice to be more cultured."

hahaha

Guest SirJohn

Ahahahah Weisguy. :lol: We really do have some remarkable intelligently sounding student/athletes. It' soooooooooo refreshing frim the usual glutterl grunts.

Guest Weisguy

I didnt realize that both of them are eligible to apply for a red shirt

"McKnight will apply for a medical redshirt after playing in only six quarters of action in 2005 and Frome can apply for a fifth-year because he did not play as a freshman."

Guest IrishTobey

if Fasano comes back ND will look like USC has looked the last 2 years. Pretty much unstoppable. Does anyone know the eligibility situation of the offensive line??

Guest Weisguy

thats would be the only "soft spot" that we might have, but seriously, our coaches should have them ready to roll, they will be at least servicable to let quinn keep the defense off balance

Guest Irish4life

It sucks that rhema and frome are hurt but this is a good decision by both sides. they both sit out and chill and next year they come back nice and fresh and they will show leadership. especially mcknight with the young wr's that are coming he will be a big part of the offense next season the more wr's the better...gives the qb more options to throw too. also on defense who fills in for frome? for mcknight there is no replacements we will be fine without him.

also it would be awesome if fasano came back next season and uh i mean does everybody have the choice to come back or is it some people? like leinart can leinart be back next season or is he already a 5th year senior? i dont know the whole thing kinda confuses me and uhh what lineman can be back next season? would be nice to have some of them back while the younger guys get some time to produce and watch em play.

Guest SirJohn

Irish4life good observation and DD lists you as Freshmen :)

Lienat's gone, can't come back.

McKnight wants to work on a graduate degree. Solid and back. Fasano? As good as he is there's not enough NFL bucks if he did not come back under Weis. If he could do a fith year??? I'd take it. I do not know his personal home or life money problems. Just simply going on ability to learn more and be a star. Sometimes there is a need to take any buck dropped in front of you. Weis would call any NFL Gen Managers for his kids.

I do not know about line or eligibility beyond the one red shirted. I too would love to know :D