Game Thread - #9 Notre Dame vs. Central Michigan (9/16/23)

• 5 months later...

So I just got back to my desk.  I was listening to the Irish Breakdown podcast on my dinner break.  I hope I remember this correctly, but, dating back to the 1800s...if the Irish score 40+ points this coming weekend, it would be the first time in team history that it was done 4 games in a row.  This would obviously include the bowl game last season.  They mentioned one 1900s era team I think it was 1901, one of either 1988 or 1989, and the 1996 team being the only other teams to do it three games in a row.  There have been teams to do it multiple times a season but never 4 in a row.  This is including spanning the end of one season into the beginning of another such as what would happen if its done on Saturday.

• Flames 1

The 1989 team scored 40+ against Pitt, Navy, and SMU consecutively. THE 1996 team scored 40+ against Navy, BC, Pitt, and Rutgers consecutively (4 in a row). 
No FCS opponents in any of those schedules. 
40 points is a lot. It’s a great accomplishment bo matter who the opponent is. But I’d still have to put an asterisk by it if it happens this week. Doing that when two of the teams are Tennessee State and Central Michigan (and I know CMU is an FBS team) isn’t quite the same. At least to me. 
Having said that, I hope ND drops 50+ on the Saturday. 

Edited by AnTostal

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

The 1989 team scored 40+ against Pitt, Navy, and SMU consecutively. THE 1996 team scored 40+ against Navy, BC, Pitt, and Rutgers consecutively (4 in a row). 
40 points is a lot. It’s a great accomplishment bo matter who the opponent is. But I’d still have to put an asterisk by it if it happens this week. Doing that when two of the teams are Tennessee State and Central Michigan (and I know CMU is an FBS team) isn’t quite the same. At least to me. 

I was at that Rutgers game. It was a glorious day…

2 hours ago, ndmike88 said:

Unless MF puts in the 2nd and 3rd teams along with the cheerleaders is there really any doubt that ND scores at least 50.

That’s what I thought about Marshall last year. Until ND is two or three years removed from that, with no other similar losses, I’ll temper my expectations. 
Freeman may be the real deal, but that loss cut deep. 

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

That’s what I thought about Marshall last year. Until ND is two or three years removed from that, with no other similar losses, I’ll temper my expectations. 
Freeman may be the real deal, but that loss cut deep. 

Yeah, that one did hurt! I really do feel the Marshall loss had to do with Freeman’s inexperience, and it being his first true home game. That and coming off a rough, and a bit of a heartbreaking loss, to Ohio State.

I do believe Freeman is the real deal though, because he has the right vision of where this program needs to be to win games. He’s just so smart, and the ultimate players coach!

With that being said, I have faith that he will never, ever let a loss like this happen again, and ultimately, win a championship with Notre Dame.

• Leprechaun 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:30 AM, AnTostal said:

Hmm.  Maybe I heard it wrong.  I'll have to go back and listen to it again.  Wish me luck finding which episode it was though lol.  They drop like 8 episodes a week.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:

So I just got back to my desk.  I was listening to the Irish Breakdown podcast on my dinner break.  I hope I remember this correctly, but, dating back to the 1800s...if the Irish score 40+ points this coming weekend, it would be the first time in team history that it was done 4 games in a row.  This would obviously include the bowl game last season.  They mentioned one 1900s era team I think it was 1901, one of either 1988 or 1989, and the 1996 team being the only other teams to do it three games in a row.  There have been teams to do it multiple times a season but never 4 in a row.  This is including spanning the end of one season into the beginning of another such as what would happen if its done on Saturday.

On 9/12/2023 at 7:30 AM, AnTostal said:

19 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Hmm.  Maybe I heard it wrong.  I'll have to go back and listen to it again.  Wish me luck finding which episode it was though lol.  They drop like 8 episodes a week.

Ok I went back and listened again.  I did get it wrong.  They said this is the first time since the 1800s that an ND team opened the season with scoring at least 40 points 4 games in a row(including the last game of the prior season).  40+ against Central Michigan this weekend would mark the first time in history that they did it 5 in a row.  They said the teams we mentioned in the previous posts had done it later in the season.  

• Heart 1

Just now, AnTostal said:

Prediction:

ND: 38.  CMU: 17

Feeling/fearing an Irish let-down this week.  Not bad enough to lose, but enough that the starters have to play late into the 4th quarter. 

That makes sense. Best part of CMU seems to be defensive creativity, so they may keep the points down a bit.