"Big play" study - Plays that gain 25 yards or more

@jbrown_9999 back when you and I did the BK offensive study. you found the numbers for like 20+ yard plays in a season.  Do you remember where you found it? I feel like with all the tight ends in the game ND's number of big plays was down last year.

Hypothesis: Sam Hartman will help ND achieve more 20+ pass plays this year.

Members: can you help me find Data from either Sam's career or ND's recent baseline to prove or disprove this hypothesis?

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

So I wanted to see  if big plays matter

UGA 45 in 2022

Alabama 51 in 2021

Looks like they do. Who won in 2020? What year was Burrow at LSU?

Burrow was '19 I think.  And to be clear big pass plays don't need to be bombs on go routes.  Like jbrown mentioned Kizer was the last QB who had the arm and accuracy to push the ball downfield.  I don't mind seeing short and intermediate routes where we exploit a D's coverage and a WR breaks free and is wide open for a BAP.  We've seen it happen every game, however our QBs tend to lock onto one receiver and don't go through their progressions and see the uncovered guy.  I'm hoping that a dedicated QB coach can help with that.  Hartman should have a head up in that one category alone, but we really need to develope the other guys in the room.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Burrow was '19 I think.  And to be clear big pass plays don't need to be bombs on go routes.  Like jbrown mentioned Kizer was the last QB who had the arm and accuracy to push the ball downfield.  I don't mind seeing short and intermediate routes where we exploit a D's coverage and a WR breaks free and is wide open for a BAP.  We've seen it happen every game, however our QBs tend to lock onto one receiver and don't go through their progressions and see the uncovered guy.  I'm hoping that a dedicated QB coach can help with that.  Hartman should have a head up in that one category alone, but we really need to develope the other guys in the room.

in 2019 LSU had 60 pass plays of 25 yards plus. This year LSU had only 26, could not help myself.

http://cfbstats.com/2022/team/365/passing/offense/situational.html

You are correct screen passes can go 25 yards and still be included in this statistic.

• Heart 3