If you were Tyler Buchner..

If you were Tyler Buchner...  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Tyler Buchner, what would you do?

• Compete to impress people in 2024?
    • Do you look for your next school?
    • Do you compete hard with the expectation you can be the starter in 23 at some point?

image.jpeg

If you were Tyler Buchner, what would you do?

• You are about to enter a spring "QB Competition" that you might not have a fair chance at winning.

Do you:

Compete to impress people in 2024?

Do you look for your next school.

Do you compete hard with the expectation you can be the starter in 23 at some point

If Ty is either #1 or at least a solid #2 coming out of the Spring, then, IMO, it makes sense to stick around since Hartman is gone after 2023.

His appeal to other schools might be limited given his injury history and lack of actual playing time in both high school and college.

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, jbrown_9999 said:

If Ty is either #1 or at least a solid #2 coming out of the Spring, then, IMO, it makes sense to stick around since Hartman is gone after 2023.

His appeal to other schools might be limited given his injury history and lack of actual playing time in both high school and college.

Good point. I think that's why Pyne stuck it out last year. He needed a better resume.

• Leprechaun 1

Another point is what Ty thinks of Gino as a QB coach. If Ty likes how he is developing under Gino then it may be worth sticking around for the fall season to elevate his game (even if just through practice reps and not through playing time)

• Heart 1

Depends on his goals, really.

Certainly he wants to be the starter at ND.  Does he think he has the tools to play in the NFL?  Are people around him telling him he can play in the NFL?  If so, he should transfer.  In May.  To a school where he will be the starter.  That's a tough sell, though, since by May schools will have had spring training and their spring game and have a good idea who their starter will be.  Probably hard to crack that nut in a way that sends him toward the NFL.  

If he doesn't think he can play in the NFL or plan to play in the NFL, he should stay (unless Harvard, Yale, or Stanford come calling.  A degree from any of those three trumps a degree from Notre Dame IMO.  Harvard and Yale don't give athletic scholarships, though; he'd have to pay his way at those two).  I don't think he is the odds on favorite to start at ND in 2024.  He will have to earn it, he will have to stay healthy, and so far he hasn't been able to do either.

• Heart 2

Graduate from ND...compete.   If he is any good he would be the leader in the clubhouse to start in 2024 and if not transfer and play a couple more years potentially somewhere else.  He is one snap away from being the starter in 2023.  

Edited by 1Redrum

Agreed.  He'll only be sophomore eligibility this year, yeah?  His sister should be on campus in the fall playing soccer for ND.  I think he for sure gives it this year to see what happens.  He'd have 2 transfer years and probably be close to his degree by the end of the 2023.  And ultimately, he might just be Irish no matter what.  As stated, not sure his NFL aspirations / reality, either...  He's a unique kid (in a good way).  I think he's solid and we'll even see some minimal packages for him in '23 (a la Mitchapalooza).

But I'm not sure they'll ever give him the keys in full.  He's the starter only in the event of an injury.  I see Angeli and Minchey battling for the 3 spot this spring.  Loser transfers.  And hopefully Carr is on campus in 12 months.  Next spring is super cloudy at QB (another transfer maybe?).

9 minutes ago, JeffV said:

Agreed.  He'll only be sophomore eligibility this year, yeah?  His sister should be on campus in the fall playing soccer for ND.  I think he for sure gives it this year to see what happens.  He'd have 2 transfer years and probably be close to his degree by the end of the 2023.  And ultimately, he might just be Irish no matter what.  As stated, not sure his NFL aspirations / reality, either...  He's a unique kid (in a good way).  I think he's solid and we'll even see some minimal packages for him in '23 (a la Mitchapalooza).

But I'm not sure they'll ever give him the keys in full.  He's the starter only in the event of an injury.  I see Angeli and Minchey battling for the 3 spot this spring.  Loser transfers.  And hopefully Carr is on campus in 12 months.  Next spring is super cloudy at QB (another transfer maybe?).

Thats the issue that the ND youtube channels have brought up:

Was getting Hartman in 2023 damaging to 2024?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Thats the issue that the ND youtube channels have brought up:

Was getting Hartman in 2023 damaging to 2024?

Well, I see the point to some extent.  It won't scare Carr off - it's actually great for him (nobody else gets a hold on the job, and he comes to compete in the spring). 

Hartman appears far better!  I believe it was a necessary move to progress and compete this year, and I'm optimistic that it will prove to be worth the risk.  2021 would have been a nightmare if not for the Coan rental. 

• Heart 1

Just now, JeffV said:

Well, I see the point to some extent.  It won't scare Carr off - it's actually great for him (nobody else gets a hold on the job, and he comes to compete in the spring). 

Hartman appears far better!  I believe it was a necessary move to progress and compete this year, and I'm optimistic that it will prove to be worth the risk.  2021 would have been a nightmare if not for the Coan rental. 

Agreed. I'm also in the win now category. I think the thing that solves most problems in sports is winning.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Agreed. I'm also in the win now category. I think the thing that solves most problems in sports is winning.

Seems like a good prescription for most any issue!  10 wins is starting to feel necessary to continue the build.  Not easy, but doable, IMO.

• Heart 1

I dont know how I feel about 10 wins anymore..  I mean YES GREAT !!!    BUUUUUT,  I mean if you aren't making the playoff...  ..or you make it and get the doors blown off every time ...      then I guess idk what that says...  10 wins feels kinda like getting 3rd place in a conference 

Do not get me wrong ..   I still taste crappy seasons with win/loss not being near 10 lol...  so ..

I wont complain about a 10 win season at all ...  just thinking a little deeper about what it means if you can't hang with the big boys 

• Heart 2

Yeah, I just think 10 is the most viable ceiling with the schedule.  I guess I'm admitting I don't think this D is all the way there yet.  USC and Ohio State should be really good - although OSU w/ QB uncertainty to some degree.  Clemson no easy out.  Those are the 3 defining games this year (providing the 2022 Marshall / Stanford - type performances are behind us).

10 is progress.  Maybe 11 with a bowl win - would be great for recruiting momentum!  8 or less and MF is on the way out, recruits jump ship, and we're in rebuild mode awhile longer.

If "I" am Tyler I am competing for a spot in 2024 so that is how I selected.

I agree with those that I don't see Tyler ever making the NFL and he should stay to play out his career and get his degree.  His ND degree would be worth more than transferring to a lesser academic school to just to ball a little longer than he would here.  He isn't making the NFL.

• Heart 1